sleep, tissue expanders, pain medication

slynch
slynch Member Posts: 82
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Weel, 4 weeks ago today I had my bi-lateral mastectomy with breast reconstruction started with the tissue expanders. I have not had a full nights sleep during the 4 weeks. I have stopped taking the pain medication because of the fear of getting addicted to it. How long can you take the medication without it becoming a problem? Usually I try to take it only at night to maybe help me sleep.

I did have to have a second surgery to repair tissue that wasn't healing. The tissue expanders are the most uncomfortable things I have ever felt. Mine are empty at this point. Please tell me it gets better when they start filling them.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the discomfort of the expanders and for getting a much needed full night's sleep.

Comments

• meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    It does get better, i think
    It does get better, i think it was about 8 weeks out for me. Although, there will still be some discomfort. I did not realize this when i had the surgery done. I took percocets at night to help me sleep, i did not become addicted. I found that Motrin PM works really well, helps you fall asleep and i am not lethargic in the morning. It is not painful when they fill them, but i would suggest something for pain before you get them filled. When I woke up the next morning, I felt like there was a brick wall on my chest and it was hard to get up, but the feeling does not last long. You might want to sleep elevated. So, try Motrin PM, hopefully, it will help you get some relief. take care
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    meena1 said:

It does get better, i think
    It does get better, i think it was about 8 weeks out for me. Although, there will still be some discomfort. I did not realize this when i had the surgery done. I took percocets at night to help me sleep, i did not become addicted. I found that Motrin PM works really well, helps you fall asleep and i am not lethargic in the morning. It is not painful when they fill them, but i would suggest something for pain before you get them filled. When I woke up the next morning, I felt like there was a brick wall on my chest and it was hard to get up, but the feeling does not last long. You might want to sleep elevated. So, try Motrin PM, hopefully, it will help you get some relief. take care

noy sure about how long it
    noy sure about how long it would take to become addicted to pain med's,but once you start your expansion,alot of the discomfort goes. I came round from surgery with just 60ml in mine but after my first fill of 90ml,it was so much better.

When they're empty,they move about a bit and scrape on the inside of your breast.Once thay have saline in them,they stay pretty still.Its also the folds in the empty expander that cause discomfort.

Things will get better =)

Kay
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    My expanders have been
    My expanders have been filled since early March, and I'm still sleeping in the recliner because they hurt when I lie down flat. I agree that you might want to try over-the-counter pain meds during the day. To sleep, I alternate among several sleep aids so they don't lose effectiveness and I don't get addicted. You might discuss this with your doctor.