I said this the last time, but now I really mean it!

cats_toy
cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went in Friday for my final surgery...I know I said that last time, but this should be it. They needed to do a reduction of the unaffected breast so I am now almost a match...helps with the bra fitting, doesn't it?
Also had a tummy issue, they weren't really sure if it was a hernia or just a collection of fluid, but expected to only have about 4 inches incision. Well it was a large hernia, had some dead tissue that needed removing and I was cut open again from hip bone to hip bone, with drains...Oh those lovely drains.
And nausea. Of course, right after they change my gown and give me clean sheets...Then reminders of Claudia's surgery, the right side of my mouth all swollen and cut, maybe all these anastheseologists go to the same training school?
And then, when they try to move the catheter around to get drainage, I feel leekage so I use a washcloth and find myself bloody. Guess they had a hard time putting in the catheter?
Stayed in the hospital overnight when I expected it to be outpatient, they really wanted me to stay til tomorrow, but I said I would heal faster at home, with Robert taking care of me. So I came home today. Am walking doubled over, and of course our house does not have a bathroom on the main floor, I have to climb the stairs every time I gotta go! But still would rather be here than in the hospital!
Just thought I would share, because after all is done, I still feel grateful that I am healthy and happy and soon to be without pain
Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Cat

Comments

• roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Wow, you've been through so much!
    So glad that the surgeries are behind you and you are on the mend. I hope it's all sunshine for you from here. Hugs.

Roseann
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    CAT!!!! This is just not
    CAT!!!! This is just not happening! I am shocked, saddened, and even appalled at this latest turn of events. I am sorry I even whined at all about my stupid little gallbladder surgery...you have truly been through the wringer, haven't you???

Well, I wish I could do something for you. The only thing I can think of, aside of course from sending you healing hugs and hopes for a speedy recovery, is that both Reggie and I will be walking for you tomorrow. There is a local Make Strides against cancer that we heard about this morning...we registered online and will be there at 8AM~ I for one am definately walking for you. If I could pee for you I soooo would~ don't think that's quite possible, is it????

Rest, heal and be well...I too hope it is your last surgery~ enough already!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    chenheart said:

CAT!!!! This is just not
    CAT!!!! This is just not happening! I am shocked, saddened, and even appalled at this latest turn of events. I am sorry I even whined at all about my stupid little gallbladder surgery...you have truly been through the wringer, haven't you???

Well, I wish I could do something for you. The only thing I can think of, aside of course from sending you healing hugs and hopes for a speedy recovery, is that both Reggie and I will be walking for you tomorrow. There is a local Make Strides against cancer that we heard about this morning...we registered online and will be there at 8AM~ I for one am definately walking for you. If I could pee for you I soooo would~ don't think that's quite possible, is it????

Rest, heal and be well...I too hope it is your last surgery~ enough already!

Hugs,
    Claudia

not stupid little anything..
    silly girl! the fact that you got up and went on the walk 5 days later after your surgery is awe inspiring!
    Peeing for me would be quite a feat too huh? never had that offered before...
    I am fine, just thought I would share the latest adventure, and the things we all here go through. Crazy huh?
    Have a great walk! I'll be right there with you (just going a little slower). Remember to wear that cute pink necklace
    Cat
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Cat!
    So sorry to hear about all you've had to go through. It's a good thing you got your 5K out of the way before all that!

Just rest up as much as you can and let Robert take good care of you.

(((Healing Hugs)))
    Cindy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    An old abdomen surgery trick:
    I learned from my surgery with my rectal cancer...hold a small pillow against your tummy when you walk...then, you can stand upright easier...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    KathiM said:

I learned from my surgery with my rectal cancer...hold a small pillow against your tummy when you walk...then, you can stand upright easier...

Hugs, Kathi

I hope you'll be feeling
    I hope you'll be feeling better soon!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Sher43009 said:

I hope you'll be feeling
    I hope you'll be feeling better soon!

Oh so sorry for the pain you
    Oh so sorry for the pain you have to go through again. Try going down the stairs on your butt and up with the pillow. Hugs
  • Cindy Ann
    Cindy Ann Member Posts: 101
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

I'm sorry you have to go through this!!
    Kathi is 100% right whenever we have had a patient with any abdominal surgery we always give them a pillow to hold against their stomach/ incision site. It really does help them move easier. It as they say hurts less. If you are having trouble getting up and down the stairs have your sweetie get you a rental commode. Yuk, I know..But you want to heal as fast as you can and going up and down stairs may make you open your incision and also heal slower because of extra pressure on the site.. Enough Mrs. Nurse telling you what to do.. Just hate to see anyone in pain.. Now I am sending you out postive energy for a swift healing and lots of hugs and love!!!!!!!!!I am always amazed at what we can go through in life and still make it to the other side of all this mess..

Love and Blessings!!
    Cindy Ann
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Cindy Ann said:

I'm sorry you have to go through this!!
    Kathi is 100% right whenever we have had a patient with any abdominal surgery we always give them a pillow to hold against their stomach/ incision site. It really does help them move easier. It as they say hurts less. If you are having trouble getting up and down the stairs have your sweetie get you a rental commode. Yuk, I know..But you want to heal as fast as you can and going up and down stairs may make you open your incision and also heal slower because of extra pressure on the site.. Enough Mrs. Nurse telling you what to do.. Just hate to see anyone in pain.. Now I am sending you out postive energy for a swift healing and lots of hugs and love!!!!!!!!!I am always amazed at what we can go through in life and still make it to the other side of all this mess..

Love and Blessings!!
    Cindy Ann

Hoping
    that you feel better soon. You've got a great attitude, but still, it's no fun not feeling good.

Take care of yourself,

Victoria
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    aisling8 said:

Hoping
    that you feel better soon. You've got a great attitude, but still, it's no fun not feeling good.

Take care of yourself,

Victoria

Thoughts and prayers sent
    Thoughts and prayers sent your way! I hope every day is a better day for you!
    Brenda
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613

Thoughts and prayers sent
    Thoughts and prayers sent your way! I hope every day is a better day for you!
    Brenda

Vicki, so sorry that you

Vicki, so sorry that you have to go through this. I would be unglued with another abdominal surgery so close to the last one. That was the worst part of the surgery for me. Please take care and get lots of rest to help the healing.

Joyce