DCIS - QUADRECTOMY - RADIATION - ???

hopeful in tally
hopeful in tally Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am feeling exceptionally "hopeful in tally" after meeting with my medical oncologist earlier today ... but ... I am curious if anyone shares a similar experience with a similar recommendation. Routine mammogram resulted in biopsy and diagnosis of DCIS. Tumor and tissue were removed with clear margins. Radiation was ordered for 7 weeks. Medical Oncologist believes it is not necessary for Tamoxifin. After a complete hysterectomy 9 years ago ... I went on hormone replacement for the last 9 years. Bad decision ... but its done. He believes that my eliminating the hormone replacement will be as good as Tamoxifin. I am happy that all was caught in such early stages ... but I want to be a long term survivor. This website has inspired me to do whatever is necessary to live a long and healthy life. Any similar stories would be greatly appreciated. I want to do the right thing! Thank you to all for the daily love and support on this website.

Comments

• swalters
    swalters Member Posts: 33
    DCIS - Quadrectomy - Radiation???
    Dear Hopeful,
    What your medical oncologist is suggesting is not unreasonable. However, you should do whatever you are comfortable with.

When I was diagnosed with DCIS, I consulted with Dr. Michael Lagios, a world renowned DCIS expert and pathologist. He reviewed my pathology and used the Van Nuys Prognostic Index to determine that my risk of recurrence was only 4 percent. Since radiation typically reduces your risk by 50 percent, the 2 percent gain wasn't worth it to me. He also said that tamoxifen would not benefit me much, as it reduces recurrence risk by at most 2 percent for DCIS patients who get good margins.

Anyone can consult with Dr. Lagios. He has a website if you are interested: http://www.breastcancerconsultdr.com/about_dr_lagios.html.

Otherwise, if you have questions or need more information, you can also send me a private message. I am always willing to help another DCIS sister in any way I can.

Best wishes as you go forward with your treatment decisions,
    Sandie
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    similar story
    I too had DCIS. I chose to have a double mastectomy (bad family history). My oncologist said there is no need for tamoxifen. I was so glad to hear that---I didn't ask too many questions. From what I've read, tamoxifen would have minimal positive effects (ie decreasing risk)and likely more negative effects to the rest of my body. If you have any doubt get a 2nd opinion. Pease of mind is a wonderful thing.
    Hugs, El
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Hi Hopeful
    FSU fan by any chance? I'm an FSU grad class of 1992. ;) Had DCIS in the left and chose a double mastectomy. My margins were good and the lymph nodes clear after they did the sentinal lymph node biopsy during the mastectomy. No radiation. My surgeon said no additional drugs were needed as well. I'm going through the reconstruction journey now. Good luck!
  • hopeful in tally
    hopeful in tally Member Posts: 56

Hi Hopeful
    FSU fan by any chance? I'm an FSU grad class of 1992. ;) Had DCIS in the left and chose a double mastectomy. My margins were good and the lymph nodes clear after they did the sentinal lymph node biopsy during the mastectomy. No radiation. My surgeon said no additional drugs were needed as well. I'm going through the reconstruction journey now. Good luck!

Go Noles! Yep...moved to
    Go Noles! Yep...moved to Tally 12 years ago and never looked back. Thank you all for your swift responses. As I mentioned before, this website is incredible. No BC patient ever has to feel alone. No doubt we all questioned this disease when diagnosed. A river could be filled by the tears that were shed...but sharing individual experiences gives us hope for tomorrow. Although I never had any sisters ... I do now! I am still in limbo about the next step to take but I am comforted by your stories. It is probably best to make a decision and don't look back .. because the moment of absolute certainty never arrives. Many thanks for your advice ... your love and prayers. You all have mine.