Cured???

imagineit2010
imagineit2010 Member Posts: 152 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Are there any active members on here that are cured?? I don't mean NED for a year or two. I mean over five years with no reccurence OR treatment. I know Emily is but who else? How long (over five years) and what was your treatment course? What do you credit, your treatment, your will, luck, God, lifestyle, or unknown??? Does anyone KNOW someone that is "cured" (same criteria)? What did they do???
Thanks

Comments

• Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    Does anyone KNOW someone that is "cured"
    Yes, 2 people who had colon cancer surgery only.15 yrs and 20 yrs ago. I don't know what or who they attribute their success to.They just got cancer, had surgery and lived.I *think* what stage the cancer is might have something to do with this.

I have been on other forums for another disease and I noticed that as people got well ( or were cured) many of them didn't have such a need for a support group and they didn't visit as often. That could be why you only know of one on here that has been NED for over 5 years.

Wish I had the answers to your questions.

-Pat
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Interesting Question
    It makes one ponder doesn't it?

Stage III, went through the wall and with 2/19 positive lymphs and did not do any of the mainstream protocol for cancer treatment beyond surgery, yet alive and kicking with ZERO recurrences for 8 years and 9 months. Hmmmm.

Maybe just maybe I'm on to something. N'est ce pas?

peace, emily who is cured but cautious (meaning I still juice like a madwoman and watch every single thing that goes in my mouth and in my mind and in my soul)
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    My surgeon used the cured word
    I am considered cured. I was stage 3c with 6/13 nodes involved. Surgery and 48 weekly sessions of chemo. Have been ca free for 12 1/2 years.Ron.
  • neon356
    neon356 Member Posts: 137 Member
    I was diagnosed 17 years ago
    I was diagnosed 17 years ago at age 53, stage 3, 10 of 15 nodes infected. Did the standard treatment of chemo/radiation. For the first two years I suffered from many blockages due to radiation damage, and needed 2 additional surgeries to remove damaged colon and adhesions. But I'm still cancer free, and credit a great team of Docs and surgeons, very aggressive treatment, and extremely strong desire to beat the beast. I haven't really changed my lifestyle to any great degree. I know that many people here feel the need to radically change their diet, especially when it comes to meats and sugars, but in the several years now that I've been on this board I really don't think that I see that making much difference in who survives and who is less fortunate. Why I survived and others didn't is a mystery to me.
    Carl
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Yes!
    A friend at church told me her mother was dx'd at the age of 50, Stage III (Dukes C) with lymph node involvement. She had surgery but no chemo or CT scans. She died, at age 84 from a stroke!

The mother of our Home School Group President was dx'd Stage III (Dukes C) at age 34! She had surgery and no chemo or CT scans. She's in her mid 60's and has never been ill again. Her grown kids have not been checked. :-(

The woman who did some Xrays when I thought I had an obstruction said her husband was dx'd Stage III 7 years ago and has had a polyp that could have someday turned to cancer but other than that, has remained healthy.

There's a HUGE thread on Colon Club of NED people, with some 12 -14 years out. :-)
    NED For How Long? Click HERE
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    Live for today
    When I was in the drunk farm I learned that a person that puts one foot too far in the past and the other foot too far in the future, does nothing but pee all over today.

Live for today.

Kerry
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Kerry S said:

Live for today
    When I was in the drunk farm I learned that a person that puts one foot too far in the past and the other foot too far in the future, does nothing but pee all over today.

Live for today.

Kerry

Any Stage 4
    ... that have lived over five years with no reocurrence?
  • dianetavegia
    Raquel, YES!
    Lisa P. who posts as Scouty was dx'd with small mets to her liver and lung! 6 years and 3 months later, still CURED!

Lisa's very first post HERE
  • Nana b

Raquel, YES!
    Lisa P. who posts as Scouty was dx'd with small mets to her liver and lung! 6 years and 3 months later, still CURED!

Lisa's very first post HERE

Just read some of the threads
    Lisa Rose did she make it?
  • dianetavegia
    Nana b said:

Just read some of the threads
    Lisa Rose did she make it?

8 years Raquel!!
    Here's a list Scouty had up last Oct. :-)
    Stacy 8 years NED
    Emily 8 years NED
    Spongebob 8 years NED
    Lisa Rose 7 1/2 years NED
    Kanort 6 years NED
    Shmurciak 5 years NED
    KathiM almost 5 years NED
    CherylRobb 3 years NED
    Trainer 1 year NED
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201

8 years Raquel!!
    Stacy 8 years NED
    Emily 8 years NED
    Spongebob 8 years NED
    Kanort 6 years NED
    Shmurciak 5 years NED
    CherylRobb 3 years NED
    Trainer 1 year NED

Hi Diane
    Are these all Stage IV?

Catherine
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member

8 years Raquel!!
    Stacy 8 years NED
    Emily 8 years NED
    Spongebob 8 years NED
    Kanort 6 years NED
    Shmurciak 5 years NED
    CherylRobb 3 years NED
    Trainer 1 year NED

Diane, thank you, thank you
    Diane, thank you, thank you so very much for that post. I needed to see that right now since I've been crying off and on for the past three hours. I try to be strong for Rick when he's at home, but I break down when he's with his kids, which is every other weekend. I'm so very scared, and so alone. I have no family, or close friends near here, so he's all I have. And I love him so very very much... I've been looking for Stage 4 survivor stories, so your post gives me hope. Thank you dear. God Bless you. - Cynthia
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member

8 years Raquel!!
    Stacy 8 years NED
    Emily 8 years NED
    Spongebob 8 years NED
    Kanort 6 years NED
    Shmurciak 5 years NED
    CherylRobb 3 years NED
    Trainer 1 year NED

Encouraging list
    Thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to adding my name to the list.

Mike
  • imagineit2010
    imagineit2010 Member Posts: 152 Member

8 years Raquel!!
    Stacy 8 years NED
    Emily 8 years NED
    Spongebob 8 years NED
    Kanort 6 years NED
    Shmurciak 5 years NED
    CherylRobb 3 years NED
    Trainer 1 year NED

Thanks Diane, that's
    Thanks Diane, that's awesome. You keep pretty good track of people on here. I realize many NED people stop coming on here after a while but it's good for newer people to see these numbers. I hope more people chime in and I hope to see alot more names added to that list, including yours.
  • elizabethgd
    elizabethgd Member Posts: 145

Thanks Diane, that's
    Thanks Diane, that's awesome. You keep pretty good track of people on here. I realize many NED people stop coming on here after a while but it's good for newer people to see these numbers. I hope more people chime in and I hope to see alot more names added to that list, including yours.

Wondering
    I too have wondered how the survival numbers stack up.My diagnosis is rectal stage III. Wondering if survival has any connection to being diagnosed rectal rather than colon dx. I know lots of people who have lived 10 years with colon dx, but find fewer dx with rectal living that long. I have also noticed many articles/abstracts discussing Kras mutation and MSI related to survival time..Just wondering if others have had these tests?
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

now that is silly
    If it is cancer and you can die from it and you are still not dead, that counts, even stage I (is there such a thing as stage I?).
  • now that is silly
    If it is cancer and you can die from it and you are still not dead, that counts, even stage I (is there such a thing as stage I?).

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    unknown said:

Surviving cancer - any stage counts
    It's a hellish trip regardless. Congratulations on being 9 years out, and many, many more healthy years!
  • Nana b
    abrub said:

Surviving cancer - any stage counts
    It's a hellish trip regardless. Congratulations on being 9 years out, and many, many more healthy years!

Here you go......

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/colorecalcancer/a/crcancerstages.htm

Stage I
    Stage I colon cancer involves more than just the inner lining of the colon. The polyp has progressed to a tumor, and extends into the wall of the colon or rectum. Treatment can include surgery to remove the section of the colon that is cancerous. This type of surgery is called a resection. The healthy, non-cancerous sections of the colon are reconnected again. The five-year survival rate is 95 percent.

Stage II
    Stage II colorectal cancer is when the cancer has spread beyond the colon to the tissue that surrounds the colon but has not spread to lymph nodes. Cancer spreading in this manner from one part of the body to another is called metastasis. A resection surgery may also be used to treat this stage of cancer. The five-year survival rate drops dramatically to 60 percent.

Stage III
    Cancer that has spread outside the colon and on to the lymph nodes in the area surrounding the colon is known as Stage III. In this stage, the cancer has not spread to other organs in the body, and treatment is more aggressive. Surgical resection of the colon, chemotherapy, and other medical therapies may be necessary. The five-year survival rate is 35 to 60 percent.

Stage IV
    In this stage, the cancer had spread to other organs in the body such as the lungs or liver. In addition to a surgical resection and chemotherapy, radiation treatment and surgery to remove other affected parts of the body may be necessary. At this stage, there is only a 3 percent chance of reaching the five-year survival time.

Recurrent Cancer
    Cancer that comes back again after treatment, either in the colon, or in some other part of the body, is called recurrent. Even after successful treatment of colon cancer, regular check ups are necessary to catch any recurrent cancer early.

In the early stages, colon cancer is one of the most curable cancers. In the later - it is the second most deadly. Colon cancer is the second leading cause of death from cancer in America (lung cancer is the first). Contrary to popular belief, only 15 percent of colon cancer patients must have a permanent colostomy.

Please talk to your doctor about your risk factors for colon cancer, and get screened when appropriate. Some discomfort and embarrassment during a colonoscopy is a small price to pay for your life.
    Suggested Reading

* Colon Cancer and IBD: Are You at Risk?
    * Colon Cancer: Risks and Prevention
    * What You Need to Know-Colorectal Cancer

Elsewhere on the Web

* Duke's Colorectal Cancer Program

* Hair Loss
    * Ileostomy
    * Surveys

Related Articles

* Colon Cancer Awareness Month Fact - The Stages of Colorectal Cancer
    * Colon cancer - series
    * Stage IV Breast Cancer and Surgery - Breast Cancer and Surgery Options - St...
    * Cervical Cancer Survival Rates
    * Colon cancer - series