Surgery date set

sweetvickid
sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Surgery date set for the 26th of this month. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers on the 26th. I am having a double mastectomy. Cancer is only in the right breast. don't know yet if the insurance will pay for the left breast yet.

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Good luck
    My wife is waiting (and waiting and waiting) until June 18th to do her. Oldest is graduating, prom etc and she doesnt want to miss any of it. Onc told her yesterday to get it done now.
    Good luck with your, and most insurance companies are covering the bi-lateral anymore, cheaper in the long run.
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    good luck
    Good luck to you on your upcoming surgery. Ask any questions, a lot of us have been there. It's surely no fun but, it's do-able. I didn't have any trouble getting insurance ok for the mastectomy on the non-cancerous side.
    Take care, El
  • jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177
    surgery
    I will be thinking of you. I know how hard it it to wait. My surgery is June 14th & it seems like an eternity. I am having a bi lateral mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction.

Let us know how you are doing as soon as you can.

Jean
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Pick up a Lanyard with Clip at the Bottom for post-surgery
    I did the same thing. DCIS in the right but decided to remove both. Surgeon said most have a more than 50% chance of getting in the other breast at some point down the line. Didn't want to risk this kind of emotional and physical pain twice. My insurance has covered all of it with no problems. The new laws have made a big difference in insurance coverage. To be honest, my surgeon suggested I take a few Xanax before I went to the hospital the day of the surgery and it made a huge difference in my anxiety level going into it. I'm certainly not suggesting you drug yourself up, but if you're feeling really nervous about things, it can help you float into it vs. laying there dying for the anesthia to kick in and stressing. No amount of Xanax can make it go away but it really helped me manage and cope the day OF the surgery. Be patient with yourself and the process. Find some super comfy jammies that you can unbutton down the front and get a lanyard from Office Depot to go around your neck to hold your drains in the shower. The lanyard was the one thing I received as a gift from another survivor that I couldn't imagine doing without post surgery. (lanyard aka badge holder with clip at the bottom-you can add a few safety pins to hold two if you have more than one drain.)I've been in your shoes. Wear slippers ;) Relax. Allow your body AND your mind to heal. It's was 9-9-09 since my double mastectomy and the emotions still feel raw. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with reconstruction. It takes months, not weeks to heal. I learned that the hard way. Don't try to be SuperWoman. Allow yourself to eat ice cream for breakfast, ignore the phone and have perma-butt marks in the couch for a while. You WILL be okay. It stinks no doubt, but you are not alone.
    xxoo
    JoJo
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121

Pick up a Lanyard with Clip at the Bottom for post-surgery
    I did the same thing. DCIS in the right but decided to remove both. Surgeon said most have a more than 50% chance of getting in the other breast at some point down the line. Didn't want to risk this kind of emotional and physical pain twice. My insurance has covered all of it with no problems. The new laws have made a big difference in insurance coverage. To be honest, my surgeon suggested I take a few Xanax before I went to the hospital the day of the surgery and it made a huge difference in my anxiety level going into it. I'm certainly not suggesting you drug yourself up, but if you're feeling really nervous about things, it can help you float into it vs. laying there dying for the anesthia to kick in and stressing. No amount of Xanax can make it go away but it really helped me manage and cope the day OF the surgery. Be patient with yourself and the process. Find some super comfy jammies that you can unbutton down the front and get a lanyard from Office Depot to go around your neck to hold your drains in the shower. The lanyard was the one thing I received as a gift from another survivor that I couldn't imagine doing without post surgery. (lanyard aka badge holder with clip at the bottom-you can add a few safety pins to hold two if you have more than one drain.)I've been in your shoes. Wear slippers ;) Relax. Allow your body AND your mind to heal. It's was 9-9-09 since my double mastectomy and the emotions still feel raw. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with reconstruction. It takes months, not weeks to heal. I learned that the hard way. Don't try to be SuperWoman. Allow yourself to eat ice cream for breakfast, ignore the phone and have perma-butt marks in the couch for a while. You WILL be okay. It stinks no doubt, but you are not alone.
    xxoo
    JoJo

Sweet,
    I had double

Sweet,
    I had double mastectomies Jan 5th also with cancer only on left side..but with my history I felt the same.. it would only be a matter of time before the right side felt left out and decided to join her sister...have not regretted my decision. It will be hard to wait these next days! My blood pressure was sky high when I first met with my surgeon but perfect when I got to the hospital as I was so happy to finally have the day come and get on with it! JoJo is so correct when she says it takes months not weeks to heal...they tell you that but hard to believe..and then you wonder why you are so tired lol..and if you ask your doctor why you are so tired after you go back to daily work/routine...he laughs and says "maybe because you had major surgery",,, oh yeah, you say, that could be it...more lol
    My thoughts and prayers are with you... keep us posted not only on your surgery but how you are coping with the wait time.
    Brenda
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808

Sweet,
    I had double

Sweet,
    I had double mastectomies Jan 5th also with cancer only on left side..but with my history I felt the same.. it would only be a matter of time before the right side felt left out and decided to join her sister...have not regretted my decision. It will be hard to wait these next days! My blood pressure was sky high when I first met with my surgeon but perfect when I got to the hospital as I was so happy to finally have the day come and get on with it! JoJo is so correct when she says it takes months not weeks to heal...they tell you that but hard to believe..and then you wonder why you are so tired lol..and if you ask your doctor why you are so tired after you go back to daily work/routine...he laughs and says "maybe because you had major surgery",,, oh yeah, you say, that could be it...more lol
    My thoughts and prayers are with you... keep us posted not only on your surgery but how you are coping with the wait time.
    Brenda

Dear Sweetvic, Hoping your
    Dear Sweetvic, Hoping your surgery comes out well for you and wishing you a quick recovery. I just had a single masectomy 4 weeks ago and am doing ok, still having to dr. a small red spot on the incision but getting there. I elected to have just a single even tho my insurance would have covered a bi-lateral. I'm older with other health problems so didn't want to go thru the bilateral now. I started chemo 2 weeks ago and will have radiation after that. Wishing you the best and post when you can.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

good luck
    Good luck to you on your upcoming surgery. Ask any questions, a lot of us have been there. It's surely no fun but, it's do-able. I didn't have any trouble getting insurance ok for the mastectomy on the non-cancerous side.
    Take care, El

Wishing you good luck Vicki
    Wishing you good luck Vicki for your surgery!

Lex♥