Does This Story Ever Stop Evolving?

MerleBee
MerleBee Member Posts: 49
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I lost my sister to uterine sarcoma in August 2009. There is great suspicion that this was the result of the Tamoifen treatment she had been on for 3 1/2 years following a DCIS diagnosis. (She did not receive any monitoring or bloodtests during this time and when she began displaying "red flag" symptoms that indicated a potential uterine problem this was missed as well.) In November I had a mammogram and was told that a biopsy would be necessary because of a suspicious set of calcifications. Following a biopsy on December 8th I was diagnosed with DCIS and scheduled for a partial mastectomy on December 28th. Initially I was told that we had clean margins and that with some radiation I could avoid Tamoxifen. Then the oncologist weighed in and wanted some additional tissue taken. At that point I was sent for an MRI of both breasts during which time they discoverd a "suspicous mass" in the left breast. The biopsy revealed invasive breast cancer. At this point we scheduled the bilateral mastectomy for March 24th with expander reconstruction, praying the entire time that I would not require radiation as this would require the expanders to be removed and a latflap reconstruction (not a candidate for tramflap). Despite a lung collapse during the surgery I began my recovery at home and did receive the good news that I would not require radiation! I had an oncotype DX test and came back in the intermediate (reads as we don't really know what to do for you)category. With much research my husband and I arrived at the decision to go forward with chemo. This is delaying my reconstruction and i have to say that these expanders are miserable! Once I am through with chemo I will have my ovaries removed to avoid Tamoxifen and go on Arimidex (pick your poison). I had my first chemo yesterday and seem to be handling it well on my way for Nulasta shot in a few minutes.

Comments

• greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    MerleBee
    It certainly sounds like you and your family have been through a lot and I am so sorry. It sounds like you have recovered well from your surgery and I certainly wish you the best during your chemo.

Chris
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    wow, you've been through a lot
    You have certainly been hit with a lot to handle. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job with all of it. Take care of yourself. Please bring your concerns here. There are lots of wonderful people on this site to help you on your journey.
    Good thoughts and hugs, El
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

wow, you've been through a lot
    You have certainly been hit with a lot to handle. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job with all of it. Take care of yourself. Please bring your concerns here. There are lots of wonderful people on this site to help you on your journey.
    Good thoughts and hugs, El

I was told unless I miss
    I was told unless I miss understood my doctor, that if I would have had my uterus at diagnosis ( which I did not )they would have removed it. I am on Tamoxifen. Now I think if I had not had my ovaries,and had completed menapause, then I would have been put on the other drug. I am really sorry for all you have been through. I am glad you found all of us here. Welcome