Hair Loss Symptoms

pdv
pdv Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know this is on this board somewhere but I can't seem to find the energy to look very much. I'm on day 10 after my first chemo and I need to know what are the signs to look for or feel to know if my hair is going to go soon?

I have had every side effect that you could have and just when I thought I was going to get through this week with some energy, I now have a very bad cold that has settled in my chest with a cough. I was going to go today and get my head shaved but haven't been able to do anything for being so sick.

Thanks for any info.

Pat

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    I just put up some hair
    I just put up some hair discussions. I hope maybe they might help you.

Hoping you feel better!

Sue :)
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Hi, Pat!
    It may make a difference what chemo yu are on. I was on cytoxan and taxotere and mine started coming out on day 17 although I have seen others post dates before and after that. I got a little tenderness of the scalp before the hairloss started. Also, mine didn't come out when I brushed my hair ('cause I sure was watching for it) but first presented when I washed my hair so don't be surprised if this happens.

Hang in there with the chemo. I know a lot of ladies have said that their symptoms got worse the more treatments they had but I was just the opposite. I am getting ready for round 5 and my symptoms have actually gotten easier each time (and I am certainly hoping that trend continues). I also got an infection after the first round and have done fine since.

Hang in there!

Chris
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Hair loss
    Hi Pat,

I ran my hand just behind my ear on the 10th day, my oc nurse reassured me of the 10th day, and several strands came out between my fingers. That was enough for me. I had a pair of clippers, since I had been a barber in one of my life times, and just cut it all off. I didn't want to wake up and find a mess on my pillow. It's OK. Hey if you were close enough I still have my clippers and would do the favor.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Sorry you aren't feeling
    Sorry you aren't feeling well :(

For me, it started after my 2nd chemo cycle...and at first myhair just sorta "loosened" and then came out by the utter handful~ no need for a sign~ it was a beacon! All over my pillow, in the shower, and the worst was....ewwwwww all over the food in the kitchen! One thing many of us experience is an achy scalp~ sorta of like a too tight ponytail being left in all day. Almost as soon as you shave your head, that pressure/pain will go away.

I mistakenly thought that if I was tender with my hair and gave it extra loving attention, perhaps I could keep it from coming out. Not at all possible, it is an internal reeaction to the chemo, so nothing will keep it from shedding.

I didn't get a chance to re-read all of the posts, but just so you know, ANYWHERE you have hair...you won't! I didn't know that, no one told me, and OMG was I ever shocked when it all started leaving my body! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    chenheart said:

Sorry you aren't feeling
    Sorry you aren't feeling well :(

For me, it started after my 2nd chemo cycle...and at first myhair just sorta "loosened" and then came out by the utter handful~ no need for a sign~ it was a beacon! All over my pillow, in the shower, and the worst was....ewwwwww all over the food in the kitchen! One thing many of us experience is an achy scalp~ sorta of like a too tight ponytail being left in all day. Almost as soon as you shave your head, that pressure/pain will go away.

I mistakenly thought that if I was tender with my hair and gave it extra loving attention, perhaps I could keep it from coming out. Not at all possible, it is an internal reeaction to the chemo, so nothing will keep it from shedding.

I didn't get a chance to re-read all of the posts, but just so you know, ANYWHERE you have hair...you won't! I didn't know that, no one told me, and OMG was I ever shocked when it all started leaving my body! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥

So sorry Pat that you have a
    So sorry Pat that you have a cold and are having so many side effects from chemo. Be sure and tell your oncologist about your symptoms. Perhaps, there is some kind of meds that he hasn't given you yet that will help you. Hang in there!
  • kiki3
    kiki3 Member Posts: 15
    I am on day 19 of tch, and
    I am on day 19 of tch, and my head got itchy 2 days ago. Yesterday, it started coming out very slowly. Today it is coming out by the handfuls. I have super thick hair, so my thought was to wait it out. Was going to cut it short, but the hairdresser is on vac. Not crazy all falling on the floor, just comes out in my fingers when I touch it. Not big blotchy pieces, just random pieces together. Hope that helps, and hope you feel better soon.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Please report your cold to your onc!!
    I, too, got a bad cold with an out-of-control chest cough during chemo. I never had a fever and thought it was "just a cold," so didn't call the oncologist. After coughing day and night for a week, I went in and got antibiotics and codeine cough syrup. Although I didn't think it was a bacterial infection, they said it easily could become one, so I took the antibiotics. The second day, the cough syrup made me sick, but I do think it helped stop the whole nasty cough cycle.

Please call your onc and see if they want you to come in! Don't be foolish like I was.

Could a friend with clippers come to your house? Don't go anywhere but the doctor's right now, though, please. People talk about the "dreaded Day 10" after a chemo infusion, when white blood counts supposedly are lowest. I've learned to stay away from people as much as possible around this time.

Best wishes to you, Pat!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Please report your cold to your onc!!
    I, too, got a bad cold with an out-of-control chest cough during chemo. I never had a fever and thought it was "just a cold," so didn't call the oncologist. After coughing day and night for a week, I went in and got antibiotics and codeine cough syrup. Although I didn't think it was a bacterial infection, they said it easily could become one, so I took the antibiotics. The second day, the cough syrup made me sick, but I do think it helped stop the whole nasty cough cycle.

Please call your onc and see if they want you to come in! Don't be foolish like I was.

Could a friend with clippers come to your house? Don't go anywhere but the doctor's right now, though, please. People talk about the "dreaded Day 10" after a chemo infusion, when white blood counts supposedly are lowest. I've learned to stay away from people as much as possible around this time.

Best wishes to you, Pat!

Hi pat
    You won't need to ask, you will know when it starts coming out. My hair had no shame, it blew out of my head with my cars air cond going. Blew all over the car and when i ran my finger through my hair it came out in chunks. This was like day 14 after the start of Ac chemo. Came home and had my son shave my head. Its a heart breaker, but we do get through it.
  • pdv
    pdv Member Posts: 56
    Thank you for all the posts
    Thank you for all the posts and words of advice. I feel better today, but still have my cough. I am suppose to go to my granddaughters play tonight but I think that might be a bad idea (all those little grem carriers (kids) running around). I went to St Vincent's Hospital...they shave your head for free. They also have some very nice scarves, hats & wigs. I decided to only go with scarves right now as it is very warm here in Florida and soon to become hot. Wigs get hot.

My head was getting very sensitive and almost hurt so I knew it would be soon.

BTW...I had an appointment with the onco doctor today but canx when I got up feeling better. The only thing left is the cough. If anything happens this weekend, I have an appt with them on Monday also. Thanks for the info.

P.S. Guess I need to post a new photo