Lupron vs ovary removal, your opinion (Update). Any SOFT ( IBCSG 24-02) or TEXT (IBCSG 25-02) partic

New Flower
New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello ladies!
I have to switch from Tamoxifen to Arimidex. I am not postmenopausal yet therefore I have to make a decision on how to suppress my estrogen producing ovaries:surgery or shots. I need your input. Did anybody choose Lupron instead of surgery (ovary removal)? How are you doing on combination of Lupron and aromatase inhibitor? Has anybody participated in SOFT (Suppression of Ovarian Function Trial IBCSG 24-02) or TEXT: Tamoxifen and Exemestane Trial (IBCSG 25-02) trials?
Thank you in advance
New Flower

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    I don't know anything about
    I don't know anything about the trials New Flower, but, I wanted to wish you good luck. I hope someone here can help you out.

Sue :)
  • New Flower
    Ritzy said:

I don't know anything about
    I don't know anything about the trials New Flower, but, I wanted to wish you good luck. I hope someone here can help you out.

Thanks Sue
    I hope my pink sisters will respond. I am going to see my oncologist on Tuesday and I have to make a decision very soon.
    Have a nice day
  • Ritzy

Thanks Sue
    I hope my pink sisters will respond. I am going to see my oncologist on Tuesday and I have to make a decision very soon.
    Have a nice day

Be sure and post New Flower
    Be sure and post New Flower and let us know what your oncologist says. I will be thinking of you!
  • New Flower
    Ritzy said:

Be sure and post New Flower
    Be sure and post New Flower and let us know what your oncologist says. I will be thinking of you!

I talked to my oncologist
    yesterday. They took blood including for estradiol. We agreed to try Zoladex plus Arimidex. I will get my first shot next week and start Arimidex in June. We will try to overcome side effects. My doc hopes I can tolerate both Zoladex and Arimidex. If will not not able to tolerate Arimidex I can go back to Tamoxifen.
    Sue thank you for your support and your positive thoughts.
    New Flower.
  • sparklewings
    sparklewings Member Posts: 29
    hi hun, i'm not at your
    hi hun, i'm not at your stage yet, just started chemo but am told i'll go on Tamoxifen for 2 years and then something else after that. I decided as my bc was oestrogen based i want to get rid of anything that produces it, eg my ovaries. Like you i'm premenopausal but have my 3 kids and def don't want any more so am fine to have them taken away.

Its a very personal thing to decide and i don't think there's a right or wrong path to choose its dependant on how you feel yourself. Personally not having monthlies is a bonus lol!
  • New Flower

hi hun, i'm not at your
    hi hun, i'm not at your stage yet, just started chemo but am told i'll go on Tamoxifen for 2 years and then something else after that. I decided as my bc was oestrogen based i want to get rid of anything that produces it, eg my ovaries. Like you i'm premenopausal but have my 3 kids and def don't want any more so am fine to have them taken away.

Its a very personal thing to decide and i don't think there's a right or wrong path to choose its dependant on how you feel yourself. Personally not having monthlies is a bonus lol!

Hi Sparklewings
    Thanks your your comments. Unfortunately, SOFT clinical trails results are not available yet. They suppose to show efficacy and quality of life issues for premenopausal BC patients with various approaches to estrogen positive cancers. Do not forget that estrogen has been produce by other organs and tissue , not just ovaries, and if you remove your ovaries you still need to take a pill.
    Yes, it is a very personal decision,
    Good luck with your treatment
    New Flower
  • Ritzy

I talked to my oncologist
    yesterday. They took blood including for estradiol. We agreed to try Zoladex plus Arimidex. I will get my first shot next week and start Arimidex in June. We will try to overcome side effects. My doc hopes I can tolerate both Zoladex and Arimidex. If will not not able to tolerate Arimidex I can go back to Tamoxifen.
    Sue thank you for your support and your positive thoughts.
    New Flower.

I want to wish you good luck
    I want to wish you good luck New Flower with the Zoladex shot and your using Arimidex. I don't know much about Zoladex, but, I hope you do ok with it. Praying for no side effects for you. I am also glad to see that you wrote that by someone removing their ovaries, does not remove all of the estrogen from your body. Estrogen is still being produced even if you remove them. I think a lot don't realize that. Good information! I am here to support you as the other bc sisters in pink! Keep us updated on how you do!

• mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member

Hi Sparklewings
    Thanks your your comments. Unfortunately, SOFT clinical trails results are not available yet. They suppose to show efficacy and quality of life issues for premenopausal BC patients with various approaches to estrogen positive cancers. Do not forget that estrogen has been produce by other organs and tissue , not just ovaries, and if you remove your ovaries you still need to take a pill.
    Yes, it is a very personal decision,
    Good luck with your treatment
    New Flower

Lupron Shots
    Hi New Flower,

I have been on Lupron shots for about a year and 1/2 and Arimidex. Besides hot flashes I don't have any real side effects. I get the Lupron shots every 3 months. I hope your combination works for you. This happened for me after they discovered the recurrance of cancer and before my surgery. Take care.

Terry
  • New Flower
    mom62 said:

Lupron Shots
    Hi New Flower,

I have been on Lupron shots for about a year and 1/2 and Arimidex. Besides hot flashes I don't have any real side effects. I get the Lupron shots every 3 months. I hope your combination works for you. This happened for me after they discovered the recurrance of cancer and before my surgery. Take care.

Terry

Thanks Terry
    for your input. I need to hear about positive experience, because I am nervous about future change. Hopefully, I will tolerate this combination. I am glad that you do not have side effects, except hot flashes.
    Wishing you the best.
    New Flower