radiation ?: excercise, time of day & creams

rm22111
rm22111 Member Posts: 54
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be starting radiation on Monday and have some questions that I have not seen answered in the many radiation question sections. I had a bilateral mastectomy with expanders placed at the time. I have had several rounds of chemo and now will start radiation on just the left side. I have had my expanders filled as full as the plastic surgeon feels is best. He told me that my skin is thin. So, I am very nervous about the effects of radiation. I have heard of expanders breaking thru the skin or having to be removed due to infections. I wanted to do everything I can to keep that from happening. During radiation what do you think about excercise and what kind? I have been wanting to attend a yoga class for breast cancer patients, and wonder if it would be okay to go to that during radiation. I am having some soreness to my left arm and I would like to do what I can to help avoid lymphadema. I will be having radiation under my arm to my nodes, even though I had no nodes postivie. I was also wondering about the best time of day for radiation? I will have to do radiation in the afternoons for 2 weeks after that I can go anytime. I was thinking about going first thing in the morning, but I wondered if it would be better to put the cream on in the morning and wait and do the radiation mid morning so the cream can do its job. I am currently using Miaderm and it says you must not put any on an hour before treatment. I was also wondering how to put the cream on. Should I rub it into the skin or just rub it on lightly or do two layers one rubbed in and one lightly on top of the skin?
Thank you for any information that anyone can give me.

rm22111

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    RM, I would recommend that
    RM, I would recommend that you ask your rads onc these questions. We are all unique and have varying circumstances. With that said, our doctors are also different in their recommendations. I would check with your doc to get his recommendation that will be based on your specific needs. Good luck, you'll get through this and we'll be here throughout your journey!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

RM, I would recommend that
    RM, I would recommend that you ask your rads onc these questions. We are all unique and have varying circumstances. With that said, our doctors are also different in their recommendations. I would check with your doc to get his recommendation that will be based on your specific needs. Good luck, you'll get through this and we'll be here throughout your journey!!

My Turn Now is right
    These are questions for your rads oncologist to answer, as each of us are so different and so are treatments, even with rads. Write down all of your questions so that you don't forget them and take someone with you, as you might not hear everything said. I was told no creams on my skin for 4 hours prior to my treatment. I used Biafine and Aquaphor as prescribed by MY rads oncologist. I was also told no shaving under my arm, which I didn't or still don't, as the radiation killed the hair growth. I was told to use only non aluminum deodorant. Tom's from Maine is the one I started to use, but, then I didn't sweat, so, I didn't need it even. Be very gentle with your skin, don't rub it. I got lots of sleep, even took naps during the day. I did exercise, and, it seemed to give me more energy. With some of the creams like Aquaphor, be sure and wear an old tshirt of your hubby's or something that you can just throw away when you are finished. Jeanne D wrote that on here and she was right. I really put the Aquaphor on at night and it is so greasy that it ruined the tshirt and I did just throw it away when I was finished. As far as the time of day, sometimes you have to go by their schedule if they are busy. If you can choose, select a time of day best for you. Some like it early in the day and some like it after work or later in the day. I chose late afternoon and my hubby always took me out for a late lunch or early dinner to celebrate another treatment under my belt. Whatever works for you is what you should try to do.

But, there again, we are all unique and so are our skin types and reactions to rads. And, you should only follow what your rads oncologist says to do and to use on your skin. I just wrote what I did and what I was told. It may not be what yours suggests.

Wishing you good luck with rads! Post if you have more questions and let us know how your appointment goes.

Sue :)
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Ritzy said:

My Turn Now is right
    These are questions for your rads oncologist to answer, as each of us are so different and so are treatments, even with rads. Write down all of your questions so that you don't forget them and take someone with you, as you might not hear everything said. I was told no creams on my skin for 4 hours prior to my treatment. I used Biafine and Aquaphor as prescribed by MY rads oncologist. I was also told no shaving under my arm, which I didn't or still don't, as the radiation killed the hair growth. I was told to use only non aluminum deodorant. Tom's from Maine is the one I started to use, but, then I didn't sweat, so, I didn't need it even. Be very gentle with your skin, don't rub it. I got lots of sleep, even took naps during the day. I did exercise, and, it seemed to give me more energy. With some of the creams like Aquaphor, be sure and wear an old tshirt of your hubby's or something that you can just throw away when you are finished. Jeanne D wrote that on here and she was right. I really put the Aquaphor on at night and it is so greasy that it ruined the tshirt and I did just throw it away when I was finished. As far as the time of day, sometimes you have to go by their schedule if they are busy. If you can choose, select a time of day best for you. Some like it early in the day and some like it after work or later in the day. I chose late afternoon and my hubby always took me out for a late lunch or early dinner to celebrate another treatment under my belt. Whatever works for you is what you should try to do.

But, there again, we are all unique and so are our skin types and reactions to rads. And, you should only follow what your rads oncologist says to do and to use on your skin. I just wrote what I did and what I was told. It may not be what yours suggests.

Wishing you good luck with rads! Post if you have more questions and let us know how your appointment goes.

Sue :)

Well...
    I had a lumpectomy so I don't know anything about expanders and such, but here's my experience: rads are easy. I'm over halfway through. I walk two to three miles every morning. I do yoga as my work schedule permits. My rads onc recommended Miaderm and I'm so glad because it's soothing and it doesn't stain. She showed me how to put it on -- rub it in your hands then place your hands on the radiated area and hold a few seconds. No rubbing. It doesn't come off on my clothes. I'm not overly tired -- in fact, for the first time in years, I sleep all night long. Feels great.

Good luck to you,
    Victoria
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    aisling8 said:

Well...
    I had a lumpectomy so I don't know anything about expanders and such, but here's my experience: rads are easy. I'm over halfway through. I walk two to three miles every morning. I do yoga as my work schedule permits. My rads onc recommended Miaderm and I'm so glad because it's soothing and it doesn't stain. She showed me how to put it on -- rub it in your hands then place your hands on the radiated area and hold a few seconds. No rubbing. It doesn't come off on my clothes. I'm not overly tired -- in fact, for the first time in years, I sleep all night long. Feels great.

Good luck to you,
    Victoria

Rads are not easy. They
    Rads are not easy. They take a toll on you. I didn't have expanders either, I had a lumpectomy, but, your rads oncologist can answer all of your questions better than any of us. Try not to worry and I hope that once you get your questions answered that you will feel better. I also used biafine during the day and aquaphor at night. My skin is like a baby's behind. It looks great after rads. So, good luck to you!
  • mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 155
    rad. and exercise
    I just finished last week with Rad treatments. I had exercised through 3/4 of my treatment. I lifted weights 2x a week along with walking 3 miles most 5 days a week. I was told that exercise was very helpful during Rad. I experienced fatigue. The further along in treatments, the more tired I was. I did have to stop. I was on a walk with my husband, and almost passed out from the exersion, and fatigue. I knew it was time to sit back and let my body do some healing. Listen to your body! With the cream, I rubbed it. Do talk to your Radiation Oncologist,and staff. They are very helpful! Best wishes to you, Mary
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

rad. and exercise
    I just finished last week with Rad treatments. I had exercised through 3/4 of my treatment. I lifted weights 2x a week along with walking 3 miles most 5 days a week. I was told that exercise was very helpful during Rad. I experienced fatigue. The further along in treatments, the more tired I was. I did have to stop. I was on a walk with my husband, and almost passed out from the exersion, and fatigue. I knew it was time to sit back and let my body do some healing. Listen to your body! With the cream, I rubbed it. Do talk to your Radiation Oncologist,and staff. They are very helpful! Best wishes to you, Mary

I exercised before bc and
    I exercised before bc and continued thru my treatments. It actually made me feel better. But, if you do exercise, let your radiation oncologist know. Some say ok and some don't. I experienced the fatigue even with exercising, but, not as bad I think. You just can't help it. Use your creams from day one, be careful with your skin and get lots of rest. I didn't burn, just got dark pink. Once I started the boosters, the rest of the area started healing quickly. Good luck!
  • rm22111
    rm22111 Member Posts: 54

I exercised before bc and
    I exercised before bc and continued thru my treatments. It actually made me feel better. But, if you do exercise, let your radiation oncologist know. Some say ok and some don't. I experienced the fatigue even with exercising, but, not as bad I think. You just can't help it. Use your creams from day one, be careful with your skin and get lots of rest. I didn't burn, just got dark pink. Once I started the boosters, the rest of the area started healing quickly. Good luck!

thanks
    thank you for all the information. I go in on Monday so I will asked the questions when I go in. I called today to clarify some information and they said I would see the Dr on Tuesday. So, If I don't get my questions answered Monday I will ask him.

thanks
    rm22111
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    rm22111 said:

thanks
    thank you for all the information. I go in on Monday so I will asked the questions when I go in. I called today to clarify some information and they said I would see the Dr on Tuesday. So, If I don't get my questions answered Monday I will ask him.

thanks
    rm22111

I started using the aquaphor
    I started using the aquaphor two weeks before rads started. during the day used Eucerin, now I use aquaphor all day and wear a camisole and no bra. had mastectomies so I just wear a big sweatshirt. just to advoid rubbing or chafing. I have done well. still try to hydrate. I havent been able to exersize as I have peripheral neuropathy, but i do what i can in PT and it does make me feel better.
  • chipoo
    chipoo Member Posts: 32
    Everyone is different
    I just finished rads. and did not have any fatigue from it. I was able to exercise throughout the treatment. I had 6 rounds of chemo. followed by 28 radiation treatments. Some people really don't have any side effects to the radiation. You want to ask your radiation dr. about exercise and listen to how your body feels. I think exercise does really help your body recover as long as you don't overdo it. Best of luck with radiation. It was much easier than I expected.