I have put my 2nd, 4th and 5th expansions on YouTube.....

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Thank you
    Thank you for sharing. I am suprised that I didnt see much of any scars. Ruby figures she will have scars from collar bone to bottom of her ribcage on each side.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    GregStahl said:

Thank you
    Thank you for sharing. I am suprised that I didnt see much of any scars. Ruby figures she will have scars from collar bone to bottom of her ribcage on each side.

I guess how much scarring
    I guess how much scarring you get differs from surgeon to surgeon. My scars run about just over half the width of the breast (i think!).They tend to try and avoid going too far over to the centre if they can so women can still wear a bikini etc without too much,if any,scar showing. But i had my surgery for prevention.Again,it might be different if you've got BC as they may be more aggressive in how they remove the tissue or something like that. I'm not really sure. But i'm not afraid of my 'war wounds' and i'm not ashamed of them either.They will fade in time and i consider them a very small price to pay in exchange for my life and future health =)
    I hope Ruby does well and send her my love and best wishes.

Kay
  • GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    m-star said:

I guess how much scarring
    I guess how much scarring you get differs from surgeon to surgeon. My scars run about just over half the width of the breast (i think!).They tend to try and avoid going too far over to the centre if they can so women can still wear a bikini etc without too much,if any,scar showing. But i had my surgery for prevention.Again,it might be different if you've got BC as they may be more aggressive in how they remove the tissue or something like that. I'm not really sure. But i'm not afraid of my 'war wounds' and i'm not ashamed of them either.They will fade in time and i consider them a very small price to pay in exchange for my life and future health =)
    I hope Ruby does well and send her my love and best wishes.

Kay

Thank you Kay
    Tomorrow is our appt with the Onc to go over test results (X-ray, CT, Bone scan, BRAC, etc). Hopefully she will go ahead and get the surgery scheduled. Only thing we know is they found a small mass where her ovary use to be (radiologist originally called it a large ovary), so we are going to ask about a PET scan.
    Wont be on much until Monday....good luck and have a great day everyone.
    Greg
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Thanks for sharing such a personal experience
    I just want to say I think you are a very corageous woman and you are absolutely beautiful!
    I know this will be helpful to so many!
  • m-star
    elm3544 said:

Thanks for sharing such a personal experience
    I just want to say I think you are a very corageous woman and you are absolutely beautiful!
    I know this will be helpful to so many!

Greg, good luck with the
    Greg, good luck with the results. Let me know how it went.

Elm~thank you for your support. If it helps just 1 person then in my eyes ,it was well worth doing.
  • m-star
    m-star said:

Greg, good luck with the
    Greg, good luck with the results. Let me know how it went.

Elm~thank you for your support. If it helps just 1 person then in my eyes ,it was well worth doing.

Just bumping for Ronda
    xx

Just bumping for Ronda

xx
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    m-star said:

Just bumping for Ronda
    xx

Just bumping for Ronda

xx

Yes, thanks for doing this.
    Yes, thanks for doing this. You are very courageous!

HUGS!
  • Hope 2010
    Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62
    You are so brave and thoughtful
    I was recently dx as well and reading the different posting and responses. It's crazy with all of the different options, that that needs to be done, treatment decisions, surgery decision, reconstructive decisions....

Putting yourself on video to help others is so thoughtful. I still need to decide on what I'm going to do (lump or mast), but one thing is certain is that if I go w/mast, then I do want reconstruction. Reading about it and seeing your video helped me understand the process of the expanders. I had no clue...

Thanks so much for the information.
  • m-star
    Hope 2010 said:

You are so brave and thoughtful
    I was recently dx as well and reading the different posting and responses. It's crazy with all of the different options, that that needs to be done, treatment decisions, surgery decision, reconstructive decisions....

Putting yourself on video to help others is so thoughtful. I still need to decide on what I'm going to do (lump or mast), but one thing is certain is that if I go w/mast, then I do want reconstruction. Reading about it and seeing your video helped me understand the process of the expanders. I had no clue...

Thanks so much for the information.

Hope2010~
    you are very

Hope2010~
    you are very welcome. I did it in the hope it would help women understand what the expansion process was like, and to not be afraid of it.
    Its quite an "exciting" time getting it done,as its bringing you nearer to a finished look.
    Sometime it seems women choose not to reconstruct out of fear of more surgeries and the mere thought of going through the tissue expansion process.Its to show that its really not that bad and is do-able! =)

I hope it helps more women-especially those who are fearful of being reconstructed.
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    m-star said:

Hope2010~
    you are very

Hope2010~
    you are very welcome. I did it in the hope it would help women understand what the expansion process was like, and to not be afraid of it.
    Its quite an "exciting" time getting it done,as its bringing you nearer to a finished look.
    Sometime it seems women choose not to reconstruct out of fear of more surgeries and the mere thought of going through the tissue expansion process.Its to show that its really not that bad and is do-able! =)

I hope it helps more women-especially those who are fearful of being reconstructed.

m-star You are very courageous!
    Thanks for bumping this thread up, I spent last evening watching a lot of your youtube videos, you've given me a lot to reconsider, you look great by the way!!! I truly will give all this reconstruction some thought. I really want to live with the choice I make so thank you for taking the time to help all the rest of us out here dealing with this issue.

Love your photo there, you have a look on your face like that of the cat that swallowed the canary!!!! You're such a sweetie, thanks again, I'll let everyone know what happens to me in the next few months, I'm gonna continue coming to this site long after I'm "healed".

Love Ronda
  • m-star

Thanks for bumping this thread up, I spent last evening watching a lot of your youtube videos, you've given me a lot to reconsider, you look great by the way!!! I truly will give all this reconstruction some thought. I really want to live with the choice I make so thank you for taking the time to help all the rest of us out here dealing with this issue.

Love your photo there, you have a look on your face like that of the cat that swallowed the canary!!!! You're such a sweetie, thanks again, I'll let everyone know what happens to me in the next few months, I'm gonna continue coming to this site long after I'm "healed".

Love Ronda

Ronda, you are most
    Ronda, you are most welcome!

Yes it's alot to decide all at once~all these decisions. I am glad you took the time to watch my video's~thank you. I know everybody's different,and some may choose NOT to reconstruct,but like you say,it doesn't hurt to consider things.

I had to laugh at the "cat that got the canary" remark! =D This photo is after my 4th fill and it was the 1st time i felt good about wearing a top like that! ha ha. Those are my tissue expanders! I put a video of my 5th fill on youtube yesterday but you may have already seen that one?

Regarding getting recon,i would say tissue expansion with implants is the "easiest" option out of them all. Quickest recovery time. Shortest surgery time. Least invasive. I too considered not having recon as i am scared of anaesthesia! I wanted to just have the 1 op to remove my breasts and that was it. Then i said i'd reconstruct after 6 months,but working it out,that meant 3 general anaesthetics. So i optede for immediate recon. They put the expanders in while you're asleep at the same time you have the mastectomy~so just 1 surgery for all that. Obviously,you have your healing time for a few wekks before the start expanding you. The expansions really are not that bad. I only had 1 which gave me a good bit of pain and discomfort,but it was my own fault for doing a 2 hour tae kwondo class 3 days before my fill. It had tightened my pectoral muscles up so stretching them hurt.

Once they have filled you up,its a matter of leaving you 2-3 months for the skin to settle,then back in for 1 more general, while they exchange your expanders for implants. Nipples are optional and would come at a later date.But you can get good 3D nipple tattoos now that look like real nipples but with no bump.

You may find this site very helpful over the coming weeks and months.I know i have.The forums on there are fantastic and FULL of women who have gone through every scenario possible.Women who have and haven't reconstructed, etc.You can browse without signning up,or if you want to take part in the forums,its free to register.You will find me on there =)

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91 (surgery before,during and after)

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44 (breast reconstruction)

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/82 (breast prosthesis and reconstruction alternatives)

good luck and keep in touch =)

Kay

ps just copy and paste the section thats NOT in brackets
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    m-star said:

Ronda, you are most
    Ronda, you are most welcome!

Yes it's alot to decide all at once~all these decisions. I am glad you took the time to watch my video's~thank you. I know everybody's different,and some may choose NOT to reconstruct,but like you say,it doesn't hurt to consider things.

I had to laugh at the "cat that got the canary" remark! =D This photo is after my 4th fill and it was the 1st time i felt good about wearing a top like that! ha ha. Those are my tissue expanders! I put a video of my 5th fill on youtube yesterday but you may have already seen that one?

Regarding getting recon,i would say tissue expansion with implants is the "easiest" option out of them all. Quickest recovery time. Shortest surgery time. Least invasive. I too considered not having recon as i am scared of anaesthesia! I wanted to just have the 1 op to remove my breasts and that was it. Then i said i'd reconstruct after 6 months,but working it out,that meant 3 general anaesthetics. So i optede for immediate recon. They put the expanders in while you're asleep at the same time you have the mastectomy~so just 1 surgery for all that. Obviously,you have your healing time for a few wekks before the start expanding you. The expansions really are not that bad. I only had 1 which gave me a good bit of pain and discomfort,but it was my own fault for doing a 2 hour tae kwondo class 3 days before my fill. It had tightened my pectoral muscles up so stretching them hurt.

Once they have filled you up,its a matter of leaving you 2-3 months for the skin to settle,then back in for 1 more general, while they exchange your expanders for implants. Nipples are optional and would come at a later date.But you can get good 3D nipple tattoos now that look like real nipples but with no bump.

You may find this site very helpful over the coming weeks and months.I know i have.The forums on there are fantastic and FULL of women who have gone through every scenario possible.Women who have and haven't reconstructed, etc.You can browse without signning up,or if you want to take part in the forums,its free to register.You will find me on there =)

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91 (surgery before,during and after)

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44 (breast reconstruction)

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/82 (breast prosthesis and reconstruction alternatives)

good luck and keep in touch =)

Kay

ps just copy and paste the section thats NOT in brackets

Thanks m-star for your
    Thanks m-star for your videos and all of the support and info you give here!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Love Ronda

This is a good thread to
    This is a good thread to bump, I am too. So many here could benefit by watching your videos. You are so beautiful and so brave m-star!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Love Ronda

Putting this up for slynch
    Putting this up for slynch to read!
  • m-star
    susie09 said:

Putting this up for slynch
    Putting this up for slynch to read!

updating as i have also
    updating as i have also added my 5th expansion to my channel! =)
    along with 3 lymphedema screenings
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    xxoo
    Awesome girl!!!!!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    m-star said:

updating as i have also
    updating as i have also added my 5th expansion to my channel! =)
    along with 3 lymphedema screenings

Thanks again m-star for
    Thanks again m-star for sharing this with all of us! You are brave and so pretty!

Hugs, Angie
  • m-star

xxoo
    Awesome girl!!!!!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

bumping (hope people dont
    bumping (hope people dont mind me keep bumping this as its helped alot of ladies and would hate it if it got "lost" when its helped so many)

xxxxx
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    m-star said:

bumping (hope people dont
    bumping (hope people dont mind me keep bumping this as its helped alot of ladies and would hate it if it got "lost" when its helped so many)

xxxxx

You are awesome m-star!
    You are awesome m-star!
  • m-star
    Megan M said:

You are awesome m-star!
    You are awesome m-star!

well i go for my 6th~and
    well i go for my 6th~and possibly my final~fill at 4-15pm today. I will get my lovely daughter ti video it again and i'll let you know when its up online. I don't want it to be my last,but realistically,i think it will be =(

My expanders dont really bother me any more.I've gotten used to them.I have completelt forgot what my old boobs looked and felt like.

I am so looking forward to my exchange tho!=D