Shingles

Scotch Freckles
Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just out of curiosity. Did anyone have shingles within 6 months prior to being diagnoised with bc?

Comments

• m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    No but i got it after my Dx
    No but i got it after my Dx for Hodgkins lymphoma. I think i was part way through my chemo when i got it.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    m-star said:

No but i got it after my Dx
    No but i got it after my Dx for Hodgkins lymphoma. I think i was part way through my chemo when i got it.

No, I never have had it,
    No, I never have had it, but, I have heard it is very painful. Did you get it? Isn't it sometimes caused by nerves?

Leeza
  • m-star
    jnl said:

No, I never have had it,
    No, I never have had it, but, I have heard it is very painful. Did you get it? Isn't it sometimes caused by nerves?

Leeza

shimngles is a relation to
    shimngles is a relation to the chicken pock virus and as far as im aware,'lives' in the spinal fluid. Being run down and stressed can cause an outbreak and it is excruiciating!
    I am scarred on the top right side of my back from the blisters and it is 90% numb from where the nerves were damaged.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    m-star said:

shimngles is a relation to
    shimngles is a relation to the chicken pock virus and as far as im aware,'lives' in the spinal fluid. Being run down and stressed can cause an outbreak and it is excruiciating!
    I am scarred on the top right side of my back from the blisters and it is 90% numb from where the nerves were damaged.

There is a shingles vaccine
    for those that are 60 yr and older. I got my vaccination 2 years ago. My doc sent me to the Health Dept. because at that he wasn't carrying it because it has to be kept frozen etc. As m-star said, there can be permanent scarring and damage afterward. If you are the appropriate age, check with your doc.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    shingles
    I got shingles a number of times on my jaw line, as a sign of a Hodgkins Lymphoma recurrence. I was dx'd w/IDC, breast cancer jan 2008. Last month I had shingles again at my bra line from front to back. Of course I'm worried what triggered them again but supposedly it is commom for Hodgkins Survivors but that was 16 and 21 yrs ago???
    Cathy
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    cathyp said:

shingles
    I got shingles a number of times on my jaw line, as a sign of a Hodgkins Lymphoma recurrence. I was dx'd w/IDC, breast cancer jan 2008. Last month I had shingles again at my bra line from front to back. Of course I'm worried what triggered them again but supposedly it is commom for Hodgkins Survivors but that was 16 and 21 yrs ago???
    Cathy

My mother got shingles about
    My mother got shingles about 2 months after cancer re-occurance when she was 66..my friend got shingles 4 years after her cancer( she is in her 30's) I have heard about shingles being more common in breast cancer patients.
    I got my shingles vaccine last month, just in case! It can be so painful. I think that shingles does probably sneaks in when we are vunerable whether from cancer or any other issue.

Brenda
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    cathyp said:

shingles
    Cathy

the shingles virus lies
    the shingles virus lies dormant (herpes zoster, chicken pox virus) in nerves, and reappear along nerve tracts. People can get it when immunosupressed as we are with chemo, under stress. My husband got it in college on his side, chest and back. very painful. My aunt just got it on her forhead and in her eye. she has not gotten rid of the virus and it is still active. miserable. They give valtrex for it, and many times it nips it in the bud. some people get post herpetic neuralgia which is continuing pain. and need other meds like neurontin. I dont know anything about it in association with Hodgkins, but it seems to come out when resistance is low.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Skeezie said:

There is a shingles vaccine
    for those that are 60 yr and older. I got my vaccination 2 years ago. My doc sent me to the Health Dept. because at that he wasn't carrying it because it has to be kept frozen etc. As m-star said, there can be permanent scarring and damage afterward. If you are the appropriate age, check with your doc.

Hugs, Judy :-)

I know there is a vaccine,
    I know there is a vaccine, but, it is only for people over 60. I have heard it is a horrible thing to have. Good luck!

Sue :)
  • m-star
    carkris said:

the shingles virus lies
    the shingles virus lies dormant (herpes zoster, chicken pox virus) in nerves, and reappear along nerve tracts. People can get it when immunosupressed as we are with chemo, under stress. My husband got it in college on his side, chest and back. very painful. My aunt just got it on her forhead and in her eye. she has not gotten rid of the virus and it is still active. miserable. They give valtrex for it, and many times it nips it in the bud. some people get post herpetic neuralgia which is continuing pain. and need other meds like neurontin. I dont know anything about it in association with Hodgkins, but it seems to come out when resistance is low.

Yes this is what i was told
    Yes this is what i was told when i got it. Because i was getting chemo and my resistance was low,it came out. Child birth (in my opinion) was less painful than shingles. I was 17 so it was a while ago,but one thing i remember is everytime my heart beat,a searing pain went through the blisters! so you can imagine. I remember being given some orangey coloured,hexagon shaped tablets for it to try and make it less severe No idea what they were though. My mum (who is just 66) got shingles on her head and eye last year when she was nursing my grandma(she passed away last Sept aged 95). My mum is an only child and my gran WAS very demanding. She was so ran down and the doc believes it was from that.

I sincerely hope i NEVER get it again.....
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    m-star said:

Yes this is what i was told
    Yes this is what i was told when i got it. Because i was getting chemo and my resistance was low,it came out. Child birth (in my opinion) was less painful than shingles. I was 17 so it was a while ago,but one thing i remember is everytime my heart beat,a searing pain went through the blisters! so you can imagine. I remember being given some orangey coloured,hexagon shaped tablets for it to try and make it less severe No idea what they were though. My mum (who is just 66) got shingles on her head and eye last year when she was nursing my grandma(she passed away last Sept aged 95). My mum is an only child and my gran WAS very demanding. She was so ran down and the doc believes it was from that.

I sincerely hope i NEVER get it again.....

I did not realize that the
    I did not realize that the vaccine was for only the over-60 crowd...whoo hoo made the cut off LOL The shot was not painful by the way but only supposed to cut your chances by 50%.
    Brenda
  • lklprice
    lklprice Member Posts: 1
    yep
    I got shingles on my temple at the hairline about mid to late treatment. It lasted about three weeks and then cleared up on its own. My doc said it was because my immune system was weakened by my chemo and that it was very common in the patients that he sees.

Lisa
  • carkris
    lklprice said:

yep
    I got shingles on my temple at the hairline about mid to late treatment. It lasted about three weeks and then cleared up on its own. My doc said it was because my immune system was weakened by my chemo and that it was very common in the patients that he sees.

Lisa

did your mom get rid of it
    did your mom get rid of it in her eye?
    My aunt is having a really hard time, she has cornea damamge and scarring and iback on valtrex. She is so exhausted. I worry about her. I dont know why she cant get rid of it. she is seeing a specilist but it is miserable.
  • carkris
    lklprice said:

yep

Lisa

did your mom get rid of it
    did your mom get rid of it in her eye?
    My aunt is having a really hard time, she has cornea damamge and scarring and iback on valtrex. She is so exhausted. I worry about her. I dont know why she cant get rid of it. she is seeing a specilist but it is miserable.