Port Cath Install ----what can i expect?

gobluegirl90
gobluegirl90 Member Posts: 53
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having my Port Cath installed on this Friday 5/14/10.
My Dr. does it as an out patient at the hospital, so I will be put all the way out. Thank god for that.

What can I expect as far as that night at home and the next day? My 9 year old daughters last softball game before playoff is the next day at 0430, will I be able to go to her game or will i be restricted or sore?

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Port
    You are having it done the same way I did, but I was only under "twilight sedation" which means I was out, but came out of it much more quickly than say with a general sedation.

Yes, you will probably be sore. But, I don't see why you couldn't go to a softball game. I didn't have much trouble with mine except I couldn't sleep on that side for awhile. After awhile, you forget you even have it.

I just got mine out last Friday and other than itching (healing) it feels great.

Good luck with chemo...you can do it!!

Patti
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    pattimc said:

Port
    You are having it done the same way I did, but I was only under "twilight sedation" which means I was out, but came out of it much more quickly than say with a general sedation.

Yes, you will probably be sore. But, I don't see why you couldn't go to a softball game. I didn't have much trouble with mine except I couldn't sleep on that side for awhile. After awhile, you forget you even have it.

I just got mine out last Friday and other than itching (healing) it feels great.

Good luck with chemo...you can do it!!

Patti

Mine was put in the same
    Mine was put in the same way. Little bit sore afterwards for a day or so. No lifting. Little bruising but not bad. Only problem getting used to sleeping on my back.
    Deb
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Deb1969 said:

Mine was put in the same
    Mine was put in the same way. Little bit sore afterwards for a day or so. No lifting. Little bruising but not bad. Only problem getting used to sleeping on my back.
    Deb

Port
    I had mine done the same way you will ... out patient in hospital. No problem at all ... and I have grown to LOVE my port. Finished chemo the middle of March but will keep the port until at least next March. You should feel fine the next day (a bit sore ... but OK) to go to the ballgame. And as far as sleeping on my back ... I'm able to sleep any way I want. I hardly know the port is there ... unless I actually touch the place where it is.

Oh ... and don't forget to ask the oncologist for a prescription for EMLA cream. It's wonderful. You put a blob on an hour before your chemo ... put a bandage on it ... and by the time you get to the treatment center ... the port spot is numb! Great stuff!

hugs.
    teena
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    You'll be a bit sore/tender
    You'll be a bit sore/tender but should be able to go to a softball game the next day. I rode obne of our horses the next day and gave lesson the day after that. I did get out of stall cleaning for 2 weeks though.

Dr. gave me Vicodin and to humor Hubby I took 1 when we got home and 1 6 hrs later but when he woke me up near midnight to take another one - NOPE - no more - I did take some reg. Tylenol a few times when I did a bit too much and it was sore.

I've had no problems at all with knowing/feeling it's there. Bra straps do not go across it nor does seatbelt. I move/sleep anyway and never feel it. It's there but unless I happen to touch it - I don't notice it all.

Mine was put in Aug 25, 09 and will be in til at least Jan 2011 and probably longer. As faar as I'm concerned the only very minor inconvience is having to have it flushed every 4 weeks.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Rague said:

You'll be a bit sore/tender
    You'll be a bit sore/tender but should be able to go to a softball game the next day. I rode obne of our horses the next day and gave lesson the day after that. I did get out of stall cleaning for 2 weeks though.

Dr. gave me Vicodin and to humor Hubby I took 1 when we got home and 1 6 hrs later but when he woke me up near midnight to take another one - NOPE - no more - I did take some reg. Tylenol a few times when I did a bit too much and it was sore.

I've had no problems at all with knowing/feeling it's there. Bra straps do not go across it nor does seatbelt. I move/sleep anyway and never feel it. It's there but unless I happen to touch it - I don't notice it all.

Mine was put in Aug 25, 09 and will be in til at least Jan 2011 and probably longer. As faar as I'm concerned the only very minor inconvience is having to have it flushed every 4 weeks.

I dreaded getting the port
    I dreaded getting the port but it turned out to be ok. I was put in twilight last Thursday and got the port. It was a little sore but I went for my first chemo treatment the same day, numb so didn't really feel anything. Had all my family over for Mother's Day (3 days later) and drove my car today. Not too bad. Hope you do well.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Deb1969 said:

Mine was put in the same
    Deb

I didn't take chemo, so, I
    I didn't take chemo, so, I didn't have a port. Just wishing you good luck!
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    Good Luck!
    I had my port put in the morning that I started chemo. Was supposed to be under twilight sedation, but since I have a tendency to sleep longer than most people, they just gave me mild sedation. Ended up being awake through the entire process and it really wasn't bad. Didn't feel any pain at all. THe worst part was finding a vein for the IV before surgery! (I have REALLY bad veins). I did find it uncomfortable to sleep on my side for a while, but I find the tissue expander makes sleeping on my side uncomfortable anyway. You should be fine for going to the game that night, but let the kids chase after any stray balls!

Good luck!
    Hugs,
    Marcy