I am sort of new to the Board and need to talk to all you wonderful writers

nempark
nempark Member Posts: 681
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
Hi Guys: I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer in October 2009. Surgery on Nov 26, 2009. Pathology reports that cancer did not spread. Had six sessions of tax/car. No side effects and feels very well. First ct scan and chest xray after completion of chemo April 30. Doc said that is was good. I was kind of confused so before I left the office I asked the Doc what I should tell my friends if they asked how the scan went and she said tell them that you are in remission. what I really want to know since I had a full hysterctomny , lymph node and ommentum removed and was a stage 1a and doc said everything was taken out, what are the chances that the cancer can recur and where? I am also going to start using tumeric. Please let me know what that diet you are talking about with the yogurt. Love you all and wish you all the best of health. June

Comments

• aprillorey
    aprillorey Member Posts: 104
    i want to respond i had my
    i want to respond i had my surgery on April 16th i to was stage 1 i want to say how awesome your in remison, my doctor proclams i wont be in remison for 5 years i do not understand what to tell my family and friends he said to tell them i have a none active cancer that he removed all he could so im not fully understanding

how ever from my doctor he said i am at a very big risk mine will return alot of woman whos did return came as brest cancer ( not to say if yours return it would be there ) i do not understand this cancer that much other then to know i have it i dont understand the grades or nothing the doc said my tumor was BIG.

i dont have much advice on this yet but wanted to make a post and say how happy i am that your in remison this is grate news
  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    Hi! June!!!
    I was also diagnosed in Oct/2009. I describe my treatment in my bio. My doc said the same thing, "you are in remission". I asked what that meant and he said that there is no cancer they can detect. Every three months I will go back for an exam to make sure all is well. At first I was really nervous. Now several weeks later I an enjoying the time I have, gardening, spoiling my grown children, being nicer than I was before to people. Guess it all boils down to what do you want to do with your time, not how much time do you have left. Each moment is precious. I think that is the gift this cancer diagnosis has given me. To see the positive in whatever the situation and make the most of it. Of course, I don't want a recurrance and pray that there won't be one. But, if cancer has given me the insight to be a kinder, better person I am thankful for the experience.

I am wishing for you that you never have a recurrance. All clear sailing ahead for you, dear. Remember look at the statistics in a positive manner. Look at how many people do survive. Years ago cancer was a death sentence. Now we have a fighting chance. Keep fighting and enjoy every minute. {{{hugs}}} to you.
  • nempark
    norma2 said:

Hi! June!!!
    I was also diagnosed in Oct/2009. I describe my treatment in my bio. My doc said the same thing, "you are in remission". I asked what that meant and he said that there is no cancer they can detect. Every three months I will go back for an exam to make sure all is well. At first I was really nervous. Now several weeks later I an enjoying the time I have, gardening, spoiling my grown children, being nicer than I was before to people. Guess it all boils down to what do you want to do with your time, not how much time do you have left. Each moment is precious. I think that is the gift this cancer diagnosis has given me. To see the positive in whatever the situation and make the most of it. Of course, I don't want a recurrance and pray that there won't be one. But, if cancer has given me the insight to be a kinder, better person I am thankful for the experience.

I am wishing for you that you never have a recurrance. All clear sailing ahead for you, dear. Remember look at the statistics in a positive manner. Look at how many people do survive. Years ago cancer was a death sentence. Now we have a fighting chance. Keep fighting and enjoy every minute. {{{hugs}}} to you.

wonderful response Norma
    Yes, you made me smile. I am praying I become a better person, but sometimes that old mean me comes out. If we think positive I doubt whether we will have an occurence. I too and gardening and I wish I could do more for my grand children. Is your hair started back. I have fuzz. Keep in touch. june
  • nempark

i want to respond i had my
    i want to respond i had my surgery on April 16th i to was stage 1 i want to say how awesome your in remison, my doctor proclams i wont be in remison for 5 years i do not understand what to tell my family and friends he said to tell them i have a none active cancer that he removed all he could so im not fully understanding

how ever from my doctor he said i am at a very big risk mine will return alot of woman whos did return came as brest cancer ( not to say if yours return it would be there ) i do not understand this cancer that much other then to know i have it i dont understand the grades or nothing the doc said my tumor was BIG.

i dont have much advice on this yet but wanted to make a post and say how happy i am that your in remison this is grate news

Aprillorey, Dont' understand also
    Hi I feel the same way I do not understand. Next Monday I have an appointment with the Surgeon who has no bed side manners, but I will ask him some questions. I don't understand if you had a stage 1 how your tumor could be that big. Keep positive and do your best to beat this monster also prayers are great. keep in touch june.
  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    nempark said:

wonderful response Norma
    Yes, you made me smile. I am praying I become a better person, but sometimes that old mean me comes out. If we think positive I doubt whether we will have an occurence. I too and gardening and I wish I could do more for my grand children. Is your hair started back. I have fuzz. Keep in touch. june

I have a fuzzy head too!!!
    June...My hair is about 3/4" long right now and is salt and pepper. I kind of like the way it looks and may keep it real short from now on. Got brave Sunday and went to church without my wig for the first time. Got a few strange looks but, the folks that all sit together each Sunday were sweet and said I looked fine. I think it may be a sin to lie in church but, their intentions were good.

I am trying not to pressure my newly married daughter (got married July 4th last year then was deployed to Iraq for 6 months)to start having some grandchildren. I had kids late in life and she is now 30. So I am due for the grandbabies.

My garden has been my delight. Hubby built me a beautiful sinker cypress herb table. It is 3'x6'x3'. I planted lots of herbs in it, parsley, 3 kinds of oregano, mint, 3 kinds of basil, chives, tarragon, 2 kinds of rosemary. I love going right outside my kitchen and snipping fresh herbs to cook.

There is more to life than cancer. It is only a bump in the road. I just keep repeating to myself, I may not be able to project years into the future. It is too uncertain. By golly!!! I have today!!! And it is going to be a good one. I am going to enjoy every minute of it.
  • Rewriter
    Rewriter Member Posts: 493 Member
    Stage 1a
    Hi, June--

Since the treatment for Stage 1a for the more typical endometrioid adenocarcinoma is generally surgery alone, perhaps followed by three sessions of brachytherapy, I am assuming that your diagnosis included other types of cells--perhaps uterine papillary serous carcinoma? If so, please google "Stage 1a uterine papillary serous carcinoma." I think that the information you'll find will be reassuring to you.

Cancer is a crapshoot, but there are some gyne-oncologists who will support the decision to not have any treatment for Stage 1a UPSC--particularly if there is "no residual disease" following the complete hysterectomy (with lymphadenectomy, pelvic washings, and omentum biopsy).

There's a 2005 study at Yale that showed 100 percent disease-free survival of more than five years (when they stopped tracking, not cuz anyone died of the disease) for such women if they had a hysterectomy combined with "complete surgical staging," six rounds of carbo/taxol, and three rounds of vaginal brachytherapy.

Try not to worry.

All the best,

Jill
  • aprillorey
    aprillorey Member Posts: 104
    Rewriter said:

Stage 1a
    Hi, June--

Since the treatment for Stage 1a for the more typical endometrioid adenocarcinoma is generally surgery alone, perhaps followed by three sessions of brachytherapy, I am assuming that your diagnosis included other types of cells--perhaps uterine papillary serous carcinoma? If so, please google "Stage 1a uterine papillary serous carcinoma." I think that the information you'll find will be reassuring to you.

Cancer is a crapshoot, but there are some gyne-oncologists who will support the decision to not have any treatment for Stage 1a UPSC--particularly if there is "no residual disease" following the complete hysterectomy (with lymphadenectomy, pelvic washings, and omentum biopsy).

There's a 2005 study at Yale that showed 100 percent disease-free survival of more than five years (when they stopped tracking, not cuz anyone died of the disease) for such women if they had a hysterectomy combined with "complete surgical staging," six rounds of carbo/taxol, and three rounds of vaginal brachytherapy.

Try not to worry.

All the best,

Jill

i june im not sure how my
    i june im not sure how my tumor was big either just going by what my Doctor told me is all i can do he said it was big but im stage 1 so who knows im trying to switch doctors im not liking mine at all so we will see but i do wish u the best of luck with all things and am praying all goes well
  • Always Hopeful
    Always Hopeful Member Posts: 234
    norma2 said:

I have a fuzzy head too!!!
    June...My hair is about 3/4" long right now and is salt and pepper. I kind of like the way it looks and may keep it real short from now on. Got brave Sunday and went to church without my wig for the first time. Got a few strange looks but, the folks that all sit together each Sunday were sweet and said I looked fine. I think it may be a sin to lie in church but, their intentions were good.

I am trying not to pressure my newly married daughter (got married July 4th last year then was deployed to Iraq for 6 months)to start having some grandchildren. I had kids late in life and she is now 30. So I am due for the grandbabies.

My garden has been my delight. Hubby built me a beautiful sinker cypress herb table. It is 3'x6'x3'. I planted lots of herbs in it, parsley, 3 kinds of oregano, mint, 3 kinds of basil, chives, tarragon, 2 kinds of rosemary. I love going right outside my kitchen and snipping fresh herbs to cook.

There is more to life than cancer. It is only a bump in the road. I just keep repeating to myself, I may not be able to project years into the future. It is too uncertain. By golly!!! I have today!!! And it is going to be a good one. I am going to enjoy every minute of it.

I Love Your Attitude
    I am new to this form of communication, as well as being new to a cancer diagnosis. As I read through many of the postings, I am so encouraged. Norma, I just love your attitude! I decided today that my mantra will be: HOPE...PRAY...BELIEVE...LIVE...BE POSITIVE. Thank you for your positive sharing.

JJ