prosthetics

dottie68
dottie68 Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi I am out 12 days since mastectomy, how soon should I go,or can go
get fitted for a prosthetics? Doctor has given me a script.
Dottie 68

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Give time to heal
    I used a little 'piece of fluff" that the local ACS gave me for quite some time. (You can order one quite inexpensively.) I was having problems with a large seroma and the little 'fluff' worked quite good with my old bras. It was during winter and I'm always cold so turtle necks with bulky sweaters or sweatshirts have been my 'winter uniform' for years. Surgery was Oct 21, 09 and I don't remember the date I got my pros but it was in Feb.
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    Rague said:

Give time to heal
    I used a little 'piece of fluff" that the local ACS gave me for quite some time. (You can order one quite inexpensively.) I was having problems with a large seroma and the little 'fluff' worked quite good with my old bras. It was during winter and I'm always cold so turtle necks with bulky sweaters or sweatshirts have been my 'winter uniform' for years. Surgery was Oct 21, 09 and I don't remember the date I got my pros but it was in Feb.

I went too soon and mine are
    I went too soon and mine are still sitting in the drawer. I had bilaterals on Jan 5th. but had lots of fluid, and drains put back in. Wait until you are completely healed is my advice and then you can get a better fit for the bras and prosthetics. I could not tell if everything was comfortable or not. Rague did it right and waited. I go flat for now and am comfy in my camisoles. Good Luck
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213

I went too soon and mine are
    I went too soon and mine are still sitting in the drawer. I had bilaterals on Jan 5th. but had lots of fluid, and drains put back in. Wait until you are completely healed is my advice and then you can get a better fit for the bras and prosthetics. I could not tell if everything was comfortable or not. Rague did it right and waited. I go flat for now and am comfy in my camisoles. Good Luck

Wait to heal
    I had a bilateral mastectomy in December and didn't get my prosthesis until March. By waiting I think that I got a better fit. Good luck~
  • jworkman
    jworkman Member Posts: 10
    Wondering the same question ..
    I just called the agency that has been helping me here in Indiana (The Little Red Door) and they said they actually need a release from my oncologist to get me fitted. I am only 21 and I got a radical masectomy on my left side just 4 weeks ago. So .. I just feel so odd and want something to put in my bra as soon as possible. So when I go back to the doctor this week I have to have his opinion on how soon I can get fitted for a prothesis. Hopefully I'm healed enough. I would def wait until you're fully healed and maybe even get it cleared with your doctor. Goodluck on your journey.
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    jworkman said:

Wondering the same question ..
    I just called the agency that has been helping me here in Indiana (The Little Red Door) and they said they actually need a release from my oncologist to get me fitted. I am only 21 and I got a radical masectomy on my left side just 4 weeks ago. So .. I just feel so odd and want something to put in my bra as soon as possible. So when I go back to the doctor this week I have to have his opinion on how soon I can get fitted for a prothesis. Hopefully I'm healed enough. I would def wait until you're fully healed and maybe even get it cleared with your doctor. Goodluck on your journey.

hello jworkman,
    My cancer

hello jworkman,
    My cancer boutique gave me temporaries: little puffs: to use at the beginning. They also said there are softies that are made specifically to go in the camisoles. I don't use anything right now while still healing but am 61 and comfort has become my number one priority. lol
    Have a greatl day!
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Take your time
    Definately use the puffs or the ones that come with the camisoles for a while. My surgeon told me to wait 6-8 weeks to get fitted but I was really anxious to stop looking lopsided. At six weeks I had a fitting and started wearing it that day and ended up with a ton or swelling and fluid retention. My physical therapist banned me from wearing it for another two weeks to let everything heal up again. Like everyone says - get the fiber filled ones for a while. Especially is you still have to do chemo. I lost a bunch of weight and ended up have to get a new one a month ago because the first one no longer matched!
  • katznc
    katznc Member Posts: 70
    puffies and foam first
    I couldn't wait to get a new boob and bra so I could go to work and the store without feeling weird. It is hot where I live now and the coverups won't get it. I got a silicone and am not wearing it yet (6 weeks post mast) I just got a foam one not weighted, on this webiste, TLC (great price) and its pretty good but they press on your incisions too.
    Take your time to heal but there are things out there.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

hello jworkman,
    My cancer

hello jworkman,
    My cancer boutique gave me temporaries: little puffs: to use at the beginning. They also said there are softies that are made specifically to go in the camisoles. I don't use anything right now while still healing but am 61 and comfort has become my number one priority. lol
    Have a greatl day!

I agree with the others,
    I agree with the others, give yourself some time to heal first. Good luck to you and Happy Mother's Day!