My poor kitty cat

sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
has cancer in his ear. He is 16. And the best boy! Right smack in the middle of surgery - rads he started to stink, we recently moved, so made an appt with new vet close by. Because I was so exhausted, I had my hubby take him. He had 3 visits - Jan, Feb, Mar - that nincompoop had him on meds, eardrops, even repeating the same ones that didn't work the 1st time. Spent almost $400. (If only I had been more on the ball...) Made appt with new vet (highly recommended) and she gave us the bad news.

For all he's been through, he is doing well (his Mama's boy!). Until his quality of life really suffers, he will be with us. Unfortunately, his 15 yr old 'brother' will have a difficult time without him and may face the same fate. Very rough decision,

Hope I didn't add a 'downer' to your day, just needed to tell someone...

Sue

Comments

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    poor kitty
    I have pets, too. One is a 20 pound orange tabby and I know how it feels to have a sick boy.

I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

Victoria
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Sorry kitty is sick
    I am sorry to hear your kitty is sick. We had a cat who was almost 20 when he passed. We buried him in the back yard in an old metal tool chest. Bawling hysterically while we did it. It's quite the pet cemetery out there. We have 2 doga and another kitty now. It's never easy to see a pet sick or suffering.Good luck.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522

Sorry kitty is sick
    I am sorry to hear your kitty is sick. We had a cat who was almost 20 when he passed. We buried him in the back yard in an old metal tool chest. Bawling hysterically while we did it. It's quite the pet cemetery out there. We have 2 doga and another kitty now. It's never easy to see a pet sick or suffering.Good luck.

We recently moved,
    No pets buried here yet and still hoping to hold off... At our old house, the was a spot I called Heartbreak Ridge.

Sue
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Sorry kitty is sick

I am so sorry. We love our
    I am so sorry. We love our cat too and it is so hard to see them sick. Good luck!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Sorry
    I am sorry to hear about your kitty.

P
  • katznc
    katznc Member Posts: 70
    so sorry to hear about your kitty
    As is obvious form the pictures and sign on names we all use that we all love our pets. I know how much it hurts when they get sick. They are our loving friends as are the wonderful warriors on this site. Thats what we are here for..to share the good and the sad.
    Hugs to you
    Debby
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    katznc said:

so sorry to hear about your kitty
    As is obvious form the pictures and sign on names we all use that we all love our pets. I know how much it hurts when they get sick. They are our loving friends as are the wonderful warriors on this site. Thats what we are here for..to share the good and the sad.
    Hugs to you
    Debby

Praying for your kitty!

Praying for your kitty!
  • Youcandothis
    Youcandothis Member Posts: 79
    susie09 said:

Praying for your kitty!

Praying for your kitty!

So tough
    to lose a pet. They are there for us through thick and thin, depending on our love even as we depend on theirs. I've lost 2 lovely retrievers to cancer. May you find peace.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member

So tough
    to lose a pet. They are there for us through thick and thin, depending on our love even as we depend on theirs. I've lost 2 lovely retrievers to cancer. May you find peace.

Oh Sue, I am so sorry.
    Your kitty is so lucky to have caring family that will look after him and be with him throughout his difficult illness. It's difficult to know "when" is the right time and then we second guess ourselves afterwards...."did we wait too long, did we do it too soon". But we can end our furkids suffering or not let it start, and be with them as they cross the Rainbow Bridge to wait for us someday.

Yes, his brother is going to grieve and may hide and not want to eat, or may follow you around for special attention and treats. When our Skeezie (many years ago now) lost his buddie, after his initial grief period, he became totally attached to a particular toy and would carry it all over the house crying with it (not an unusual thng for many cats, I have two right now who do it) but that became his new buddy. Skeezie was also 15 at the time. Just give extra hugs etc.

This makes your treatment double tough because of your grief and worry over both of your kitties. I wish I could say something that would make you feel better, but there just arent' the words.... But I know exactly how you feel and cry with you.

Hugs for you and your kitties,
    Judy :-(
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Skeezie said:

Oh Sue, I am so sorry.
    Your kitty is so lucky to have caring family that will look after him and be with him throughout his difficult illness. It's difficult to know "when" is the right time and then we second guess ourselves afterwards...."did we wait too long, did we do it too soon". But we can end our furkids suffering or not let it start, and be with them as they cross the Rainbow Bridge to wait for us someday.

Yes, his brother is going to grieve and may hide and not want to eat, or may follow you around for special attention and treats. When our Skeezie (many years ago now) lost his buddie, after his initial grief period, he became totally attached to a particular toy and would carry it all over the house crying with it (not an unusual thng for many cats, I have two right now who do it) but that became his new buddy. Skeezie was also 15 at the time. Just give extra hugs etc.

This makes your treatment double tough because of your grief and worry over both of your kitties. I wish I could say something that would make you feel better, but there just arent' the words.... But I know exactly how you feel and cry with you.

Hugs for you and your kitties,
    Judy :-(

Oh Sue, I am so sorry. We
    Oh Sue, I am so sorry. We all love our pets so much, that it hurts us when they are sick. Sending you hugs!