Bras

Options
tally
tally Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My cancer was on the right breast, upper, outer area. My scars aren't the problem, its my port. Every bra I wear, the strap rubs either on or beside my port. My surgeon tells me to wear a good supportive bra and I can tell a difference when I don't have one on. But when I wear one, I end up pulling the strap down off my shoulder to get it away from the port. That doesn't feel so good either since I also had lymph nodes removed. Any ideas would be helpful. I've even tried camisoles with built in bras but same problem. I've even considered buying a sports bra and cutting it to fit around the port.

Comments

• ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    Try the sports bra
    I got a sports bra that I like and it is pretty comfortable. It is the type with the zipper in the front. It seemed to be cut lower under the arm. This works well for me especially since I had never even worn a sports bra before. I am not sure what you mean by a port but I hope this helps.

Hugs
  • kel
    kel Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Tally,
    I have been reading

Tally,
    I have been reading these boards for a few months and this is the first time I have posted because I had to say "FINALLY" .......... someone who has this problem too! My surgeon looked at me like I had three heads when I told him my port drove me nuts because I couldn't wear a bra. The bra strap rubbed it and so did any other undergarment I tried. He said he "put them all there". Meaning that was his preferred location on that side of the body. I told him every lab tech and nurse that had accessed my port had commented on how far it was over toward my shoulder. He said no one had ever voiced that particular complaint to him. There is a first time for everything.

I can't give you any advice, only empathy. As soon as my oncologist would let me, I had that thing removed. My onc actually wanted me to leave it in for a year "just in case" but I bargained with him on this point. I told him if I needed it again, I would get another installed and hopefully in a better position.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my surgeon and that was my only complaint to him this whole time. I thought it was strange no other woman had ever said that to him but he seemed truly befuddled that it bothered me. You could barely see it under my skin but I felt like I had a softball in there! When he removed it in his office using local anesthesia, he pulled that thing out and held up for me to see. I said some choice words outloud! It was about the size of quarter and about 1/4 inch thick. I felt like a huge baby about my complaining but, I would have sworn it was much bigger.

Let me tell you though, it was such a relief to have that out of me. And NO it was not all in my head. I now there is another woman who would agree.

Hang in there.
  • tally
    tally Member Posts: 48
    Options
    kel said:

Tally,
    I have been reading

Tally,
    I have been reading these boards for a few months and this is the first time I have posted because I had to say "FINALLY" .......... someone who has this problem too! My surgeon looked at me like I had three heads when I told him my port drove me nuts because I couldn't wear a bra. The bra strap rubbed it and so did any other undergarment I tried. He said he "put them all there". Meaning that was his preferred location on that side of the body. I told him every lab tech and nurse that had accessed my port had commented on how far it was over toward my shoulder. He said no one had ever voiced that particular complaint to him. There is a first time for everything.

I can't give you any advice, only empathy. As soon as my oncologist would let me, I had that thing removed. My onc actually wanted me to leave it in for a year "just in case" but I bargained with him on this point. I told him if I needed it again, I would get another installed and hopefully in a better position.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my surgeon and that was my only complaint to him this whole time. I thought it was strange no other woman had ever said that to him but he seemed truly befuddled that it bothered me. You could barely see it under my skin but I felt like I had a softball in there! When he removed it in his office using local anesthesia, he pulled that thing out and held up for me to see. I said some choice words outloud! It was about the size of quarter and about 1/4 inch thick. I felt like a huge baby about my complaining but, I would have sworn it was much bigger.

Let me tell you though, it was such a relief to have that out of me. And NO it was not all in my head. I now there is another woman who would agree.

Hang in there.

Thank you
    for writing. I wass beginning to think I was crazy. I hate this thing. My chest is very thin and you can see it plain as day. It sticks out and you can even see the wires or whatever it is under my incision. I am also going to ask my oncologist to let me have it removed as soon as possible. Thanks again for writing. It helped alot.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    None of my bra straps go
    None of my bra straps go over my port. I have a 'little finger's width between bra strap and port. Yes, it is quite visible as I'm on the lean side and narrow but to me, it's my 'badge of honor'. It will be in for a year at least and probably years longer, just in case.

My surgery was on the right but port is on left.
  • lizziejane
    lizziejane Member Posts: 69
    Options
    BRAS
    YOU CAN CUT A SMALL PIECE OF FLEECE AND WRAP IT AROUND THE STRAP WHERE THE PORT IS, AND SEW IT ONTO THE STRAP---IT IS A MUCH SOFTER MATERIAL THAN THE STIFF BRA STRAP AND WILL PROBABLY GIVE YOU SOME RELIEF....
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I did not have that
    I did not have that experience, but I can surely imagine how the placement of the Port might cause such a problem. I did occasionally have to adjust the placement of the shoulder strap on the seatbelt when I was driving, but didn't really have any other trouble. Ports seem to stick out more on some people than others. When I was doing chemo there was a gentleman who came in a few times. He had a port for chemo due to cancer from asbestos poisoning at his work. He was on his second port because he was reaching for something on a high shelf and it fell against his shoulder and dislodged the first port. He was a lean and lanky build and the port was very visible under the skin.

Drs. don't actually have to experience the effects of their treatments, so they do not always know everything. I expect there have been more patients with your experience, they just might not be as open about talking to the Dr. about it. Good for you for educating him.

seof
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    seof said:

I did not have that
    I did not have that experience, but I can surely imagine how the placement of the Port might cause such a problem. I did occasionally have to adjust the placement of the shoulder strap on the seatbelt when I was driving, but didn't really have any other trouble. Ports seem to stick out more on some people than others. When I was doing chemo there was a gentleman who came in a few times. He had a port for chemo due to cancer from asbestos poisoning at his work. He was on his second port because he was reaching for something on a high shelf and it fell against his shoulder and dislodged the first port. He was a lean and lanky build and the port was very visible under the skin.

Drs. don't actually have to experience the effects of their treatments, so they do not always know everything. I expect there have been more patients with your experience, they just might not be as open about talking to the Dr. about it. Good for you for educating him.

seof

I have the same problem with
    I have the same problem with my bra rubbing my port. Ive bought several different types of bras. The sports bra that fastens in the front works for me and it doesnt seem like it is too high in the armpit area.Im so looking forward to getting my port removed, it really bothers me, feels like a constant tugging in my neck and shoulder.
    Deb
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

None of my bra straps go
    None of my bra straps go over my port. I have a 'little finger's width between bra strap and port. Yes, it is quite visible as I'm on the lean side and narrow but to me, it's my 'badge of honor'. It will be in for a year at least and probably years longer, just in case.

My surgery was on the right but port is on left.

Soft cotton camisoles
    Soft cotton camisoles usually will feel ok. Try one without the bra in it.