Another port removal question

pattimc
pattimc Member Posts: 431
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Port is coming out on Friday, May 7th. I'm starting to freak out because it's being done only under a local. I'm a big chicken when I know what's going on!! I really don't want sedation (even twilight) so I just called my surgeon's nurse and asked her if I could take a Percocet or Vicodin before I come....hopefully to relax me some. She's going to ask him when he comes in and call me back.

Anyone else do this?

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I didn't do the percoset
    I didn't do the percoset routine, but port removal for me was no biggie at all! Most of us I imagine had it done with a local! It takes minutes to remove it; I was chatting with the RN and out it came~ I recall only feeling a slight tug! No need to be under for such a simple procedure. If your Dr gives you the go ahead for something to take the edge off for you, that may be just what you need! Maybe she will let you take an Ipod and listen to music~ probably not because of the sterile field and all, but it truly is over fast! It may be too early in the morning, and I may regret putting this in writing, but it just occurred to me that it didn't feel much different from the tug when we remove a tampon. Just for reference sake, anyway. Not to gross anyone out. I apologize in advance if I did.

Let us know what your Dr says!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    chenheart said:

I didn't do the percoset
    I didn't do the percoset routine, but port removal for me was no biggie at all! Most of us I imagine had it done with a local! It takes minutes to remove it; I was chatting with the RN and out it came~ I recall only feeling a slight tug! No need to be under for such a simple procedure. If your Dr gives you the go ahead for something to take the edge off for you, that may be just what you need! Maybe she will let you take an Ipod and listen to music~ probably not because of the sterile field and all, but it truly is over fast! It may be too early in the morning, and I may regret putting this in writing, but it just occurred to me that it didn't feel much different from the tug when we remove a tampon. Just for reference sake, anyway. Not to gross anyone out. I apologize in advance if I did.

Let us know what your Dr says!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

LMBO!I'm sorry I had to
    LMBO!I'm sorry I had to respond to this! I have my last chemo on this Friday and I will be looking forward to getting my port out in 10-14 days afterwards. I'm not sure how they are going to do it, but I guess I can deal with it if it's quick!

rene9
  • pattimc
    rene9 said:

LMBO!I'm sorry I had to
    LMBO!I'm sorry I had to respond to this! I have my last chemo on this Friday and I will be looking forward to getting my port out in 10-14 days afterwards. I'm not sure how they are going to do it, but I guess I can deal with it if it's quick!

rene9

Percoset
    OK, the nurse called back. When I talked to her I asked her if I could take either a Perocet, Vicodin or drink a bottle of wine (the wine was a joke!). The surgeon said (he's a stitch!!) I could take any of the three but if I drink the wine I have to bring him a bottle, too!!

I may or may not take the drugs, but I'm glad I have the option!

Oh and Rene9, I LMBO too!! Good luck on your last chemo!

Chenheart...not too graphic at all! I now understand what it might feel like!!

Patti
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    pattimc said:

Percoset
    OK, the nurse called back. When I talked to her I asked her if I could take either a Perocet, Vicodin or drink a bottle of wine (the wine was a joke!). The surgeon said (he's a stitch!!) I could take any of the three but if I drink the wine I have to bring him a bottle, too!!

Patti

Glald you asked...
    Mine's coming out on the 11th and I planned on taking a Lorazapam. I never thought to ask because all my doctors have ok'd it for any procedure I've had until now so I figured it would be ok. Glad you asked. Like a tampon coming out, eh? That's almost a sense of 'relief' which I'm really hoping for!

Just curious... what kind of scar is left behind after this? Something we need to keep hidden for a long time??? I am constantly trying to cover the port because I feel like it looks disgusting!
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Glad to See the Questions
    Although I'm not there yet (still have two rounds of chemo to go), I was relieved when my oncologist said I could have it taken out any time I want after I finish. Of course there was an admonishment that I do have lousy veins and I am in a clinical trial for IV Zometa infusions (4xyear). Thankfully, the nurses said not to worry, they could stick me.

Although the port is a pretty small thing, it is amazing how many times my grandson has managed to grab hold of it. Please let us know how it goes - I am so looking forward to following in your footsteps!

Chris
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    My experience
    I only had a local anesthetic for mine. I, too was chatting with the Nurse, felt some pulling, then it was out. I took tylenol as a precaution, but felt fine. We went out to eat lunch immediately following the surgery. It was itchy for a week or so, till the dermabond wore off, but no pain.

Taking it out is much easier than putting it in. Take care, seof
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    I was a little freaked at my
    I was a little freaked at my port being pulled, too. My surgeon prescribed valium...worked like a charm. I told the surgeon that I wished I could feel that good all the time. : ) Lynn
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    On Friday.........
    Patti, I plan on taking a couple of Xanax for my port removal on Friday.
    Usually, if I tell them that I will be a no-show without the Xanax....even for my mastectomy...they say to go ahead & take it. LOL! So I do. After all, if an anti-anxiety drug can't be used in a circumstance like this, then what good is it??

My port removal is at 7:30 tomorrow morning, so I will check back after I get home. Let us know how you do...but I think you will be fine. We both will.

Hugs,

CR
  • pattimc
    CR1954 said:

On Friday.........
    Patti, I plan on taking a couple of Xanax for my port removal on Friday.
    Usually, if I tell them that I will be a no-show without the Xanax....even for my mastectomy...they say to go ahead & take it. LOL! So I do. After all, if an anti-anxiety drug can't be used in a circumstance like this, then what good is it??

My port removal is at 7:30 tomorrow morning, so I will check back after I get home. Let us know how you do...but I think you will be fine. We both will.

Hugs,

CR

CR1954
    Mine is at 7:30 too! If you hold my hand, I'll hold your's OK??

I'm planning on taking my Percocet before I leave for the hospital @ 6:45. I hope it works!

I'll check in tomorrow!

Best to you,

Patti
  • CR1954
    pattimc said:

CR1954
    Mine is at 7:30 too! If you hold my hand, I'll hold your's OK??

I'm planning on taking my Percocet before I leave for the hospital @ 6:45. I hope it works!

I'll check in tomorrow!

Best to you,

Patti

Yep!
    Got your hand, Patti!

Hugs,

CR
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    pattimc said:

Percoset

Patti

Good luck today Rene with
    Good luck today Rene with your LAST chemo! And, good luck to you today too Patti on your deporting!

HUGS to both of you!
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    CR1954 said:

Yep!
    Got your hand, Patti!

Hugs,

CR

I'll be in the circle of
    I'll be in the circle of pink sisters holding your hands even tho I just got my port put in so it'll be awhile before mine comes out. I really appreciate all the positive comments about how easy it comes out, like Chenheart said just like a tampon (if I still remember that feeling after not doing that since I was 38). I just had a masectomy a couple of weeks ago and had the last drain taken out last week. I dreaded that because each drain was under my chest skin at least a foot long and then stitched under my arm with another foot and half to the suction bulb. I kept getting that caught on knobs, chair arms, etc. But they came out easy and was I glad. My little grandson is coming Sunday and I just got my port put in Thursday so I'm going to make sure he doesn't get too close. Too bad because I want to hold him but I guess that's another sacrifice for the time being. Anyway, hope all those ports come out quickly and easy.
  • CR1954
    I'm home...Patti?
    My port is gone! Yay!! Stopped on the way home for breakfast & then took a nap!

Patti, how did you makie out??

CR
  • pattimc
    CR1954 said:

I'm home...Patti?

CR

CR
    I posted on another thread my experience under "just back from port removal". All went very well, too. We went out to breakfast and guess what?? I just now got up from my nap!! Percoset worked like a charm!

Glad it's over and glad it went well for both of us!

Have a great weekend!

Patti
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    pattimc said:

CR
    I posted on another thread my experience under "just back from port removal". All went very well, too. We went out to breakfast and guess what?? I just now got up from my nap!! Percoset worked like a charm!

Glad it's over and glad it went well for both of us!

Have a great weekend!

Patti

Congrats Patti and CR!
    Congrats Patti and CR!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    CR1954 said:

I'm home...Patti?

CR

Congrats CR on your port
    Congrats CR on your port removal!