one year ago and here i go again

teresa41
teresa41 Member Posts: 471
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i havent been on lately i was diagnosed april 2009 with breast cancer on my left side. i found out the first of april i have cancer on my right side, i am having a masectomy this time. i had a lumpectomy on the left side i meet with the surgeon monday, i can say im very dissapointed and scared. my dr took me off of tamoxifen it was doing no good. this is like a bad dream. if any one that has had a masectomy could give me some advise and how bad is the pain? thank you in advance.

teresa

Comments

• MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    You can do this!
    I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this again. Be strong and proactive in your treatments. And remember that you are a strong woman supported by many strong women on this board. My prayers and positive thoughts are with you.
    Hugs :>
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Teresa, I'm sorry to read
    Teresa, I'm sorry to read this news. This is the one thing that we are all in fear of. If I end up with a recurrence, I'll do exactly what you are doing, a mastectomy. I wrestled with this when I was diagnosed in June 2009 but decided on the lumpectomy. In all the reading I have done on this board, it seems that a mastectomy is no walk in the park but is very do-able. I'm sending positive thoughts and a (((hug))) your way. Please also know that we will be here for you through this journey. Continue to post and let us know your plan. Take care of yourself!!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    We're all here with you, Teresa
    Teresa, I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this again.

I can only imagine how disappointed and scared you are, but please hold onto us....You won't be going through any of this alone -- we're all here with you, and the collective wisdom and support of the women and men on this board will help make this easier for you, I promise.

Traci
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Oh, Teresa
    I am so sorry to hear of this sad news. I wish there was something I could say to alleviate your fear and anxiety, but I'm afraid words are inadequate right now.

Just know that your sisters in pink will be with you every step of the way. Please keep us informed on how you are doing.

With God's blessings,

Patti
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    pattimc said:

Oh, Teresa
    I am so sorry to hear of this sad news. I wish there was something I could say to alleviate your fear and anxiety, but I'm afraid words are inadequate right now.

Just know that your sisters in pink will be with you every step of the way. Please keep us informed on how you are doing.

With God's blessings,

Patti

I am so sorry Teresa. This
    I am so sorry Teresa. This is very sad news. Praying for you!
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    pattimc said:

Oh, Teresa

With God's blessings,

Patti

Teresa, I had bilaterals
    Teresa, I had bilaterals this january. There was no muscle pain but I did have skin pain in the upper chest. Not everyone gets that - if you do, just gently massage the area and teach it to not be so sensitive. The drains are cumbersome but you want them in so you don't build up fluid. I was aspirated 4 times-that does not hurt either and had the drains put back in...my aunt did the same thing-we decided it was a family trait LOL My aunt had no pain whatsoever.

You will be tired though and have to take it easy and slow.
    Keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • Barb A
    Barb A Member Posts: 123
    Had a mastectomy
    Teresa,

I'm sorry you are going through this again.

I had a mastectomy and tramflap reconstruction in 2001. They were done at the same time, so I can't tell you about the mastectomy alone. However, the chest and abdomen were sore of course, but pain meds and not overdoing it made it doable. The drains I had were more cumbersome than anything else. I switched to just Tylenol after a few days post-surgery (I don't like taking the Percocet or Vicoden for too long). I took it one day at a time and before I realized it, I was feeling better and was healing.

No surgery is pain free, but if you follow drs orders and pain control, you'll make it through. I have learned that I am stronger than I thought I was. The hardest part was letting others do things for me, rather than doing them myself. Or letting the little things (like dusting-which I hate to do anyway)go for little while.

I have had a recurrance also. The thought of going through it again seemed to make everything all that much worse. I think you will find the strength to kick cancer butt again and will come through this fine. I have; It's been two years since my second round and I'm doing well. As others have said, come here often. We are here for you.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Barb
    Madison, WI
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Barb A said:

Had a mastectomy
    Teresa,

I'm sorry you are going through this again.

I had a mastectomy and tramflap reconstruction in 2001. They were done at the same time, so I can't tell you about the mastectomy alone. However, the chest and abdomen were sore of course, but pain meds and not overdoing it made it doable. The drains I had were more cumbersome than anything else. I switched to just Tylenol after a few days post-surgery (I don't like taking the Percocet or Vicoden for too long). I took it one day at a time and before I realized it, I was feeling better and was healing.

No surgery is pain free, but if you follow drs orders and pain control, you'll make it through. I have learned that I am stronger than I thought I was. The hardest part was letting others do things for me, rather than doing them myself. Or letting the little things (like dusting-which I hate to do anyway)go for little while.

I have had a recurrance also. The thought of going through it again seemed to make everything all that much worse. I think you will find the strength to kick cancer butt again and will come through this fine. I have; It's been two years since my second round and I'm doing well. As others have said, come here often. We are here for you.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Barb
    Madison, WI

So sorry
    I'm so very sorry to hear this is happening again. I imagine you want to scream and rage and curl up into a little ball all at the same time.

I will pray for you to find the strength to do what you must.

Victoria
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    aisling8 said:

So sorry
    I'm so very sorry to hear this is happening again. I imagine you want to scream and rage and curl up into a little ball all at the same time.

I will pray for you to find the strength to do what you must.

Victoria

Teresa, I am so sorry to
    Teresa, I am so sorry to hear of your recurrence, and wanted to let you know that you can add me to your list of avid supporters. Looking at a second treatment period is certainly something none of us want to think about, but there are many on this Board who have done so, and are on the other side of second treatment. (Some, like RE, have had to do this three times.) We are all here to support, encourage, cry, scream, and generally carry you through this new adventure, and are all proud to do it. You are part of this family, and families take care of each other. Let us know how things progress, and know that you have plenty of thoughts and prayers headed your way as you start this process. Hugs, Judy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Teresa, I am so sorry to
    Teresa, I am so sorry to hear of your recurrence, and wanted to let you know that you can add me to your list of avid supporters. Looking at a second treatment period is certainly something none of us want to think about, but there are many on this Board who have done so, and are on the other side of second treatment. (Some, like RE, have had to do this three times.) We are all here to support, encourage, cry, scream, and generally carry you through this new adventure, and are all proud to do it. You are part of this family, and families take care of each other. Let us know how things progress, and know that you have plenty of thoughts and prayers headed your way as you start this process. Hugs, Judy

I am so sorry that you got
    I am so sorry that you got bc again. I hate reading about this. Sending you strength to get thru this again and praying for a full recovery from your surgery.

HUGS!
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    So Sorry!
    Teresa - So sorry to hear that you are having to go through ths again - we are all here for you with our love, hugs and prayers. I had a bilateral mastectomy (prophylactic on the right) in January. I did have immediate insertion of tissue expanders and not sure if you are having this as part of yur surgery. From what both my surgeon and PS told me, the tissue expanders tend to make the surgery a bit more painful. My surgeon said that for the women just having the mastectomy, they typically do very well and he had quite a few that would get ticked off at him for not letting them go home as early as they wanted. I got out of surgery about 7:30PM and went home around noon the next day although they were certainly willing to have me stay longer if I wanted pain meds strnger than the Percocet they gave me.

I did fine at home on the oral pain meds. Did it hurt - sure. My biggest challenge was getting comfortable to sleep because I am a side sleeper - I ended up in our big recliner and did great with that (I still use it because I toss and turn too much trying to sleep on my sides with the expanders in place). The drains were a pain to deal with but my docs were firm about keeping them in until the drainage was very low.

Listen to everything your doctors say - mine were very strict about limiting activities, especially anything involving my arms. When I was too stupid to listen to them, I could tell a difference in swelling. Once I started stricking completely to their rules, things went much better.

It's not a picnic but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I wish you the best....
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    :-(
    Oh Teresa I am so very sorry this has occurred. I myself had a similar situation, my recurrence happened 6 months after finishing all treatments, mine had gone to my chest wall and sentinel node. I too was on tamoxifen and I too quit taking it, it does not work for everyone. My sister was on it for 5 years and did great well on it. After aggressive treatment the second time I remained cancer free for 9 years, it returned in 07 on my right side and I too had a mastectomy. It was not as bad or painful as I had thought it may be, not to say it didn't hurt. Be kind to yourself, let others do all the heavy lifting for awhile etc. I also found that a small soft pillow beneath my armpit helped cushion the area and allowed for more comfort. This is doable and you can come out of it okay, trust me I have been there.

Hugs~Hugs~Hugs!

RE
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    RE said:

Oh Teresa I am so very sorry this has occurred. I myself had a similar situation, my recurrence happened 6 months after finishing all treatments, mine had gone to my chest wall and sentinel node. I too was on tamoxifen and I too quit taking it, it does not work for everyone. My sister was on it for 5 years and did great well on it. After aggressive treatment the second time I remained cancer free for 9 years, it returned in 07 on my right side and I too had a mastectomy. It was not as bad or painful as I had thought it may be, not to say it didn't hurt. Be kind to yourself, let others do all the heavy lifting for awhile etc. I also found that a small soft pillow beneath my armpit helped cushion the area and allowed for more comfort. This is doable and you can come out of it okay, trust me I have been there.

Hugs~Hugs~Hugs!

RE

So sorry Teresa. Praying
    So sorry Teresa. Praying that you find strength to get thru your treatments again. There are several on here that have had bc more than once, RE, Jeanne D and carkris, to name a few. And, they are all amazing strong women that are living full lives. So, fight the beast again and come out the winner!
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    susie09 said:

So sorry Teresa. Praying
    So sorry Teresa. Praying that you find strength to get thru your treatments again. There are several on here that have had bc more than once, RE, Jeanne D and carkris, to name a few. And, they are all amazing strong women that are living full lives. So, fight the beast again and come out the winner!

I had very little pain at all
    CANCER SUCKS! Why does it have to do whatever it wants to do to us? I'm so sorry you are going through this again. I hope and pray they can come up with some kind of treatment for you (as well as every woman fighting this beast) that WORKS!!!
    God bless you, Teresa.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    BC returns
    So sorry you have to go through this again. Good thoughts and prayers are with you.

I was wondering if you had chemo the first time and/or radiation and what stage your bc was ?

I think all of us are scared this will happen to us.

Judy
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Theresa
    I'm so sorry to hear about your recurrence. Just when you think you will be able to put this beast in your past, it comes up again.

But, as others have said, you CAN and WILL beat this back into submission! We have such wonderful examples on these boards to lead the way, and you already know you have the support of this awesome group of people behind you.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Theresa
    I'm so sorry to hear about your recurrence. Just when you think you will be able to put this beast in your past, it comes up again.

But, as others have said, you CAN and WILL beat this back into submission! We have such wonderful examples on these boards to lead the way, and you already know you have the support of this awesome group of people behind you.

Take care,
    Cindy

This is my third go round,
    This is my third go round, 1994 cancer on right. 1995 local recurrence, 2009 cancer on left. I did fine withthe mastectomy. the drains were in longer than I wanted. recurrence is devastating, but you can do it. I had so much support, at home and here. sometimes I think I was born with defective boobs and wonder how people walk around with normal ones. anyway hugs and yes Mama Cancer sucks.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    RE said:

Hugs~Hugs~Hugs!

RE

Teresa, I am so sorry that
    Teresa, I am so sorry that you have to deal with bc again. I hope you know that we are all here to support you thru this.

Big hugs, Angie
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Teresa
    Sorry you have to go through it all again. Stay positive.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    My heart goes out to you...
    So very sorry you have to deal with this yet again, Teresa. As others have already stated - it is what we all fear. Yet, those - like our dear RE and others - who have battled more than once and won inspire hope for all of us.

Here - you are surrounded by support and encouragement.

Sending prayers your way...

Kind regards, Susan