Answers that I don't seem to get from my Drs.Can anyone advice?

Glennice
Glennice Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I was just diagnosed with OC Stage 3 March 30,2010. Had complete hsterecmy,they placed a mediport abdonminal. My first week of Taxol and Carboplatin, was horriffic.The port leaks and I have what they call diabetic veins, so my left arm is all bruised. I am wondering if there is someone who is going through or gone through what I am now. I am a diabetic, which was under control until now, high blood pressure, which now I am getting lows, asthmas, diabetic nerve damage, artrithis in my spine, carpal tunnel. I had a gastric bypass in 2004. My chemo nurses are only concerned with cancer related problems, and so I have to deal with my Internal med. Dr. All I keep getting is this is all normal, but, would be more intense because of my pre-exiting condition. Right now I have very bad consipitation, and doing what they ask,, I feel like Alice, like I've fallen down a hole.
My mother, a sister and an aunt to die from cancer.
I am very fearful for my chemo on May 18. I wrote a letter to my cancer doctor and dropped it off today when I went in to get lab work. My joints and nerves spased so much doing my down days, I wanted to give up. Thank God, for a very dear friend to talk me through the pain until my meds kick in.
I have read many of your stories and can empathized with everyone! This cancer has turned my life totally upside down. How do you cope on the days when you feel so all alone?God Bless everyone of you dear people.

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    sorry to hear
    Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Are you sure the mediport is in your abdomen? Is it an IP port? The carbo/taxol regimen is a tough one but it is the gold standard of treatment!! get through the next 5 treatments then hopefully you will have long break and it will all seem worth it. talk to your nurse about your pain and maybe they can help you set up a pain management plan. Ideally, you should be taking the pain pill BEFORE the pain hits. Are you on the neulasta injection 24hrs after chemo? That is known for giving body aches. Sometimes I do feel along in my battle BUT I have so much to live for. My three kids, my two younger ones are 6 and 4yrs old. I will never stop fighting for more time on earth with them.

Talk to your doctor/ nurse about the pain and try to plan your pain meds for maximum pain relief.
  • hockeygolf7
    hockeygolf7 Member Posts: 52
    So sorry to hear about all
    So sorry to hear about all your pain and problems. Please remember to always speak up and often. Sometimes you have to be a real squeaky wheel to get any attention. It's your body and you have every right to ask for help. It is a hard thing to go through but there is so much out there to help you feel better while going through this awful thing. Keep us posted and always know you can tell us anything, because we all know what this is about. Prayers to you and yours.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    I am about six months ahead
    I am about six months ahead of you, also Stage III. I know how you feel....we all do. I spent a miserable 16 days in the hospital when I had my surgery, which was complicated by a bowel obstruction and uncontrollable vomiting. I thougnt, if I never feel any better than this, I don't think I want to live. But eventually, I did feel better. In fact, on my good days, it's hard for me to believe I have Cancer.

I don't have a lot of other health issues - just degenerative disk disease in my back, and some arthritis there, too. Being in bed and/or the recliner for so long caused terrible back pain and I had to get pain meds specifically to treat it.

It has been my experience that once you mention that you have Cancer, even doctors treat you differently. Some of them don't want to treat you - at all. Even my dentist made me jump thru hoops to get a root canal done, or even a simple cleaning. I have to bring a note from my Gyn/Oncologist, approving treatment, meds, etc. And I have figured out that that isn't such a bad thing. My dentist was going to give me Hydrocodone with 500 mg of acetaphetamine in each tab. My Gyn/Onc said that was too much acetaphetamine, because it is metabolized thru the liver, just as the chemo drugs are, and he wants to protect my liver. The dentist gave me Hydroprofen instead - Codiene plus ibuprofen.

Most of us suffer from constipation now and again. I take 2 stool softeners daily, plus Miralax as needed, or a generic vegetable laxative.

I didn't have an IP port (abdominal), but I have one in my chest, which I get my chemo thru, as well as blood transfusions (6 pints in as many months). As bad as it sounds, it really hasn't been terrible. I did have a reaction to the first infusion, but they stopped it for about 45 minutes, then resumed at a much slower rate and I did fine. I was very nervous that first time, too. Have someone go and stay with you, if possible.

Cancer sucks. Chemo sucks. But not as much as the alternative. Hang in there....it will get better.

Carlene