Has anyone had rads without putting thier arm over their head?

ladyg
ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am going to have my mapping done on Tuesday so I can get started with my rads. I have a problem with my shoulder and can not get my arm up over my head without pain. I am very worried about what will happen. I have seen an occupational therapist and am going again tomorrow but that will not solve the problem. I have heard different things and need advise from those who have been there.

Hugs to all

Comments

• Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Please try...
    ... not to worry too much, at this moment.

On Tuesday, be sure to make both your rad onc & rad techs very aware of your limited arm/shoulder motion issue. Although I'm certainly no expert, not a professional - I think they should be able to work around & within your limits. If you can move your arm away from your body/breast area, even slightly, I think they'll be able to adjust the equipment accordingly. I hope so, for the sake of your comfort level.

Best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Please try...
    ... not to worry too much, at this moment.

On Tuesday, be sure to make both your rad onc & rad techs very aware of your limited arm/shoulder motion issue. Although I'm certainly no expert, not a professional - I think they should be able to work around & within your limits. If you can move your arm away from your body/breast area, even slightly, I think they'll be able to adjust the equipment accordingly. I hope so, for the sake of your comfort level.

Best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan

My arm was never over my
    My arm was never over my head. It just laid in a comfortable sling out to my side. I have read where others had theirs over their head, but, I didn't. Hope it goes easy for you.

Leeza
  • ckmcclelland
    ckmcclelland Member Posts: 47
    jnl said:

My arm was never over my
    My arm was never over my head. It just laid in a comfortable sling out to my side. I have read where others had theirs over their head, but, I didn't. Hope it goes easy for you.

Leeza

wish I'd know
    Wish I'd known a sling out to the side was a possibility. I had shoulder problems, too, and told them about the pain of putting my arm above my head but they said I'd have to get used to it and be tough. Mappings and measurements were a problem because I had to lay there so long--part of it was waiting for radiation oncologist to come which irritated me. I felt that the what a patient feels is not much of a consideration. Other than that everyone was nice but no one told me that under my arm was part of the treatment area so that's where I burned. How can they look at you for almost 7 weeks and not tell you that but they didn't.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

wish I'd know
    Wish I'd known a sling out to the side was a possibility. I had shoulder problems, too, and told them about the pain of putting my arm above my head but they said I'd have to get used to it and be tough. Mappings and measurements were a problem because I had to lay there so long--part of it was waiting for radiation oncologist to come which irritated me. I felt that the what a patient feels is not much of a consideration. Other than that everyone was nice but no one told me that under my arm was part of the treatment area so that's where I burned. How can they look at you for almost 7 weeks and not tell you that but they didn't.

I had the sling for my arm
    I had the sling for my arm too. They should have told you that you have rads to your underarm too. That was the one place though, that I didn't even get pink at.

Take care!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I can get my arms up but not
    I can get my arms up but not elbows out when arms are up - it hurts (arthritis in back). Dr said we needed the underarm area 'open' for rads so what worked for me was to reach up to the handle and then they padded (with towels and bankies) under my upper arm so I was comfortable but the area they needed was exposed for them. But then I have wacky elbows anyway (LOL).
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Rague said:

I can get my arms up but not
    I can get my arms up but not elbows out when arms are up - it hurts (arthritis in back). Dr said we needed the underarm area 'open' for rads so what worked for me was to reach up to the handle and then they padded (with towels and bankies) under my upper arm so I was comfortable but the area they needed was exposed for them. But then I have wacky elbows anyway (LOL).

Mine was in the sling too,
    Mine was in the sling too, not uncomfortable at all. But, my cancer center was brand new and so was all of the equipment. I wonder if that might have something to do with the differences. I hope they find a way to make you comfortable.

Sue :)
  • hopeful in tally
    hopeful in tally Member Posts: 56
    Ritzy said:

Mine was in the sling too,
    Mine was in the sling too, not uncomfortable at all. But, my cancer center was brand new and so was all of the equipment. I wonder if that might have something to do with the differences. I hope they find a way to make you comfortable.

mold
    I have completed 3 treatments ... woo hoo ... and they made a "mold" for me to lay in each time. I also have problems with my shoulder so they made the mold to form a comfortable position for me so that my arms were not fully extended over my head. Tell them and I am sure they will accomodate your needs in any way they can. Anyone else have the mold?
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577

mold
    I have completed 3 treatments ... woo hoo ... and they made a "mold" for me to lay in each time. I also have problems with my shoulder so they made the mold to form a comfortable position for me so that my arms were not fully extended over my head. Tell them and I am sure they will accomodate your needs in any way they can. Anyone else have the mold?

I went today and they did
    I went today and they did make a mold for me to lie in. So I woll be using that each time. It made it much easier for me with that and I was really glad.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    ladyg said:

I went today and they did
    I went today and they did make a mold for me to lie in. So I woll be using that each time. It made it much easier for me with that and I was really glad.

So happy that they made the
    So happy that they made the mold for you ladyg! It will be easier on you now!

Good luck with rads!