Sick after CT scan

wonderingalice
wonderingalice Member Posts: 49
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
My mom had a CT scan yesterday to see what effect the Ixempra is having on her recurrence (UPSC Stage III). She has had two infusions and is scheduled for a third tomorrow. We are so nervous about the CT scan results. She has been having some more bladder/UT issues. Yesterday she became violently ill after drinking the CT scan dye and was sick for the rest of the day (vomiting, diarrhea) She was so ill that she could not talk on the phone.

Has the dye made anyone else sick like this?

She did so well with the carbo/taxol chemo (although her cancer was resistant to it), this new drug and all the after-effects of her last big surgery are really taking a toll.

~Al.

Comments

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    CT
    Oh I'm so saddened you mom is having a tough time....not easy! I've had 3 CT SCANS with the dye and no issues at all. Do you think there might be something else going on to cause her symptoms? Interesting how she did well with chemo and now the scans are bothersome.

Sorry but I don't have any other thoughts, just take care of your mom as you are doing now.

Best to you!
    Jan
  • wonderingalice
    jazzy1 said:

CT
    Oh I'm so saddened you mom is having a tough time....not easy! I've had 3 CT SCANS with the dye and no issues at all. Do you think there might be something else going on to cause her symptoms? Interesting how she did well with chemo and now the scans are bothersome.

Sorry but I don't have any other thoughts, just take care of your mom as you are doing now.

Best to you!
    Jan

The "something else" is what
    The "something else" is what I'm afraid of. She had a bowel obstruction prior to her last de-bulking surgery and required a resection. She has been having digestive ever since but this happened almost immediately after drinking the dye.

She did well with the first chemo series - this second time around is making her really sick, but it has been three weeks from the last one.
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

The "something else" is what
    The "something else" is what I'm afraid of. She had a bowel obstruction prior to her last de-bulking surgery and required a resection. She has been having digestive ever since but this happened almost immediately after drinking the dye.

She did well with the first chemo series - this second time around is making her really sick, but it has been three weeks from the last one.

Hum?
    That was in the back of my mind and really hate to bring it up...but what I was getting to, something else...yes. Oh just hang on and lets not rush to conclusions, but this disease makes us go that direction doesn't it?

Does she have doc appt soon? Sorry but don't have your first message up on my screen and leaving soon.

You're in my prayers....
    Jan
  • wonderingalice
    jazzy1 said:

Hum?
    That was in the back of my mind and really hate to bring it up...but what I was getting to, something else...yes. Oh just hang on and lets not rush to conclusions, but this disease makes us go that direction doesn't it?

Does she have doc appt soon? Sorry but don't have your first message up on my screen and leaving soon.

You're in my prayers....
    Jan

She has chemo and the CT
    She has chemo and the CT scan result consult scheduled tomorrow. She is feeling better this morning but the sudden/violent vomiting is so much like what happened on & off in the weeks before the bowel obstruction.

Oh, so many worries.

Thank you for your prayers.
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member

She has chemo and the CT
    She has chemo and the CT scan result consult scheduled tomorrow. She is feeling better this morning but the sudden/violent vomiting is so much like what happened on & off in the weeks before the bowel obstruction.

Oh, so many worries.

Thank you for your prayers.

I felt very sick with the barium contrast for CAT scan
    My first CAT scans I drank the contrast at the radiology department, and did fine. It was like drinking crystal light drinks. When we were in Florida I opted to drink the barium contrast at home, so we would not have to be at the hospital 2 hours before the test. That contrast made me feel so sick, I thought I would throw up. The next CAT scan I had I drank the contrast at the hospital and had no problem.

I hope your mother does not have a bowel obstruction. I hope she continues to feel better. Hope the CAT scan results are good. Hang in there. In peace and caring.
  • cleo
    cleo Member Posts: 144
    Ro10 said:

I felt very sick with the barium contrast for CAT scan
    My first CAT scans I drank the contrast at the radiology department, and did fine. It was like drinking crystal light drinks. When we were in Florida I opted to drink the barium contrast at home, so we would not have to be at the hospital 2 hours before the test. That contrast made me feel so sick, I thought I would throw up. The next CAT scan I had I drank the contrast at the hospital and had no problem.

I hope your mother does not have a bowel obstruction. I hope she continues to feel better. Hope the CAT scan results are good. Hang in there. In peace and caring.

CT sickness
    Could be the contrast used. Contrast used by hospital where I was treated....no problem. Came home and ended up in hospital after CT scan at local hospital. After that contrast was provided by treatment hospital and no probs. Wasn't allowed to use it for my last scan and sick and diarrohea for 8 days. Ended up having a colonoscopy 'just in case' Be positive as the body can react in odd ways. I hope all goes well.
  • aprillorey
    aprillorey Member Posts: 104
    cleo said:

CT sickness
    Could be the contrast used. Contrast used by hospital where I was treated....no problem. Came home and ended up in hospital after CT scan at local hospital. After that contrast was provided by treatment hospital and no probs. Wasn't allowed to use it for my last scan and sick and diarrohea for 8 days. Ended up having a colonoscopy 'just in case' Be positive as the body can react in odd ways. I hope all goes well.

It could be somthing other
    It could be somthing other then the ct scan stuff. the 1st time i ever had a CT scan was a few months back when i 1st found out i had the cancer and i got sick to my tummy while dranking the stuff and came close to throwing up the 2nd time i did some what beter as they put it in pop but the 1st time they put it in thick milk stuff and thats why i became very sick how ever nothing like with what is going on with your mom so it may be somthing other then that

just stay postive thats the best thing