gleason score of 9

norwood
norwood Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I have a gleason score of 9 with a psa of 69. Does anyone else have a gleason score this high and what treatment route have you taken?

Comments

• Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    Norwood, since you asked
    Surgery on march 23, 09

First hormone shot- Around April 23, 09

Radiation from Nov- Jan

Positive margins- bladderneck.

My PSA was a lot lower, under 10 but the same gleason.

I wish you well.

Remember, at 9 you are still under a perfect "10"
    142 Member Posts: 169
    Gleason
    My post-op Gleason was raised from the biopsy 4+4 in 7 of 12 cores to 4+5. My PSA was a lot lower (7.4).
    I had DaVinci surgery 10/09 (age 56), and have just started IGRT.

Your 9 is either a 4+5, or 5+4. The first number being higher would mean it is a more aggressive cancer. As well, it depends on how many cores were taken and how many were positive.

Your age will also have a lot to do with treatment options.
  • Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166 Member
    Scores
    Norwood, my scores are much lower but have read of many who post here who had PSA readings in the hundreds and some even in the thousands. There are still many treatment options including surgery (if it is still contained in the prostate) and radiation, hormone blockage, cryo and others. Make sure you research all your options carefully and good luck!
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    I was gleason 7 but
    I was gleason 7 but yesterday met a man with Gleason 9. He had robotic surgery about 10 weeks ago...Doc had to cut wide around the prostate to get rid of as much possible cancer as possible. He has all ready started taking Hormone therapy.

Good luck on your treatments!

Larry
  • RNOR
    RNOR Member Posts: 4
    GLEASON SCORE: 9
    I'm in the same boat. Gleason score of 9, had robotic surgery April 26, 2010, and of six lymph nodes harvested cancer was found in one. April 27, 2010 took a PSA test. May 10, 2010 will meet with doc to determine the next course of treatment. I will keep you posted. Success To You!!!
  • RNOR
    Trew said:

Norwood, since you asked
    Surgery on march 23, 09

First hormone shot- Around April 23, 09

Radiation from Nov- Jan

Positive margins- bladderneck.

My PSA was a lot lower, under 10 but the same gleason.

I wish you well.

Remember, at 9 you are still under a perfect "10"

GLEASON SCORE OF 9
    How is your quality of life now that you are on hormone treatment? I had my surgery March 26, 1020, (Gleason 9) and will probably be given the same treatment. Thanks in advance for your response. Success To You!!!
  • jimbeam50
    jimbeam50 Member Posts: 47
    RNOR said:

GLEASON SCORE: 9
    I'm in the same boat. Gleason score of 9, had robotic surgery April 26, 2010, and of six lymph nodes harvested cancer was found in one. April 27, 2010 took a PSA test. May 10, 2010 will meet with doc to determine the next course of treatment. I will keep you posted. Success To You!!!

gleason of 9
    My husband's gleason score was 9 (5+4) and his PSA was in the thousands and still is after two years of various treatments. Many variables involved with this disease including staging, response to treatment etc. My husband was unfortunately in stage IV when diagnosed. This is probably where the new vaccine provenge would be beneficial, at the initial diagnosis of advanced prostate cancer. Taxotere was the latest drug available and was supposed to increase life expectancy by a few additional months over what was used prior to that.

Several options available to you, good luck. Sheila
  • Susiebelle
    Susiebelle Member Posts: 15
    jimbeam50 said:

gleason of 9
    My husband's gleason score was 9 (5+4) and his PSA was in the thousands and still is after two years of various treatments. Many variables involved with this disease including staging, response to treatment etc. My husband was unfortunately in stage IV when diagnosed. This is probably where the new vaccine provenge would be beneficial, at the initial diagnosis of advanced prostate cancer. Taxotere was the latest drug available and was supposed to increase life expectancy by a few additional months over what was used prior to that.

Several options available to you, good luck. Sheila

My husband too
    Shelia,

My husband was also diagnosed at stage IV. His PSA was almost two thousand at the time of diagnosis in May of 09. He tried the Lupron route, but that did not work for him at all. His Pca is very aggresive. He is currently on chemo with Taxotere. So far, it seems to be okay, but he has had some pain return in the last few weeks. Our oncologist has scheduled him to repeat the CT scan and the bone scan, just to see if something is going on, like maybe the chemo is no longer working. Perhaps he has a small fracture or something, we shall see.

I did contact our oncologist about Provenge. If something comes up for a trial or something in our area, he knows we are interested. Our HMO will probably still think of it as experimental even though it has been approved by the FDA.

I say good luck to all of you. Each of you are lucky that you have the problem of chosing which option is best for you. I wish each of you the best.

Susiebelle
  • Trew

My husband too
    Shelia,

My husband was also diagnosed at stage IV. His PSA was almost two thousand at the time of diagnosis in May of 09. He tried the Lupron route, but that did not work for him at all. His Pca is very aggresive. He is currently on chemo with Taxotere. So far, it seems to be okay, but he has had some pain return in the last few weeks. Our oncologist has scheduled him to repeat the CT scan and the bone scan, just to see if something is going on, like maybe the chemo is no longer working. Perhaps he has a small fracture or something, we shall see.

I did contact our oncologist about Provenge. If something comes up for a trial or something in our area, he knows we are interested. Our HMO will probably still think of it as experimental even though it has been approved by the FDA.

I say good luck to all of you. Each of you are lucky that you have the problem of chosing which option is best for you. I wish each of you the best.

Susiebelle

This Thread is Getting Serious
    The correlation between PSA and Gleason scores mystifies me and I can make no sense out of it. My 5 + 4 didn't even get over 10 PSA. This thread does give me some cause for concern. 5+4 or 4+5, either way 9's are no good.
    142 Member Posts: 169
    Trew said:

This Thread is Getting Serious
    The correlation between PSA and Gleason scores mystifies me and I can make no sense out of it. My 5 + 4 didn't even get over 10 PSA. This thread does give me some cause for concern. 5+4 or 4+5, either way 9's are no good.

Gleason & PSA
    I've understood that the two are completely different indicators.

PSA is produced by the prostate, and can be very high because of non-cancer factors. The Free PSA in relation to complexed PSA is important. Walsh's book spends a whole chapter on this, and he points out that you can have a low PSA and cancer, as well as a high PSA without.

Gleason score is an indicator of the form of the cells. High Gleason scores are considered aggressive, thus riskier.
  • Trew
    RNOR said:

GLEASON SCORE OF 9
    How is your quality of life now that you are on hormone treatment? I had my surgery March 26, 1020, (Gleason 9) and will probably be given the same treatment. Thanks in advance for your response. Success To You!!!

Quality of Life on Eligard
    I was on Eligard 6 month shot injected into the stomach. Ouch. I was scheduled for 4 shots but I changed docs and the new doc agreed 2 shots was enough. I can still feel the pellet from the last shot- those things seem to last forever!

I think it gave my wife some comfort- she is afraid of this cancer thingie. both Lupron & eligard have lots of side effects- and I think I had them all. So I was delighted to not get the third injection. As far as my quality of life- well that is a complicated question. What is intolerable to me might be very easily within your comfort zone. I am also still leaking and the combination the after effects of surgery has not been good for me. But it is better than dying. so many difficult choices with PC- and none of them are easy or comfortable.

Also, I want to comment on that 1020 surgery date- must have been some surgeon!!! LOL and you must be some kind of patient!! LOL
  • jimbeam50
    142 said:

Gleason & PSA
    I've understood that the two are completely different indicators.

PSA is produced by the prostate, and can be very high because of non-cancer factors. The Free PSA in relation to complexed PSA is important. Walsh's book spends a whole chapter on this, and he points out that you can have a low PSA and cancer, as well as a high PSA without.

Gleason score is an indicator of the form of the cells. High Gleason scores are considered aggressive, thus riskier.

message to Susiebelle
    Your husband didn't happen to serve in Vietnam did he. My husband was on Taxotere for 10 months before it stopped working. Good explanation 142 that's why a biopsy is always needed to confirm cancer. Sheila
  • RNOR
    Trew said:

Quality of Life on Eligard
    I was on Eligard 6 month shot injected into the stomach. Ouch. I was scheduled for 4 shots but I changed docs and the new doc agreed 2 shots was enough. I can still feel the pellet from the last shot- those things seem to last forever!

I think it gave my wife some comfort- she is afraid of this cancer thingie. both Lupron & eligard have lots of side effects- and I think I had them all. So I was delighted to not get the third injection. As far as my quality of life- well that is a complicated question. What is intolerable to me might be very easily within your comfort zone. I am also still leaking and the combination the after effects of surgery has not been good for me. But it is better than dying. so many difficult choices with PC- and none of them are easy or comfortable.

Also, I want to comment on that 1020 surgery date- must have been some surgeon!!! LOL and you must be some kind of patient!! LOL

QUALITY OF LIFE
    Thanks for your info and a GREAT sense of humor! I'm 67, at time of surgery last month had a PSA of 7.4. Trying to keep my wife from being afraid for me is a task.

God Bless and...Success To You!!!
  • Susiebelle
    Susiebelle Member Posts: 15
    jimbeam50 said:

message to Susiebelle
    Your husband didn't happen to serve in Vietnam did he. My husband was on Taxotere for 10 months before it stopped working. Good explanation 142 that's why a biopsy is always needed to confirm cancer. Sheila

No he did not....
    Shelia, my husband did not serve in VietNam. He was drafted in the last draft, and ended up joining the National Guard. He stayed in this country for his entire 21 year career with an MP unit.

He is currently law enforcement, and we just don't know where this cancer came from. There is no history in his family. We were making our retirement plans, as he will retire from the Sheriff's Department in July 2011. That is all gone now. He started his Taxotere in January, and we should know by the end of the month if this is when that has stopped working.

Strange journey cancer takes you on. All consuming, all disrupting. Funny, but my husband never got a Gleason score. It didn't matter. The cancer was all over his lymph system and his bones. Hope we can get 10 months out of the Taxotere.

Susiebelle
  • jimbeam50

No he did not....
    Shelia, my husband did not serve in VietNam. He was drafted in the last draft, and ended up joining the National Guard. He stayed in this country for his entire 21 year career with an MP unit.

He is currently law enforcement, and we just don't know where this cancer came from. There is no history in his family. We were making our retirement plans, as he will retire from the Sheriff's Department in July 2011. That is all gone now. He started his Taxotere in January, and we should know by the end of the month if this is when that has stopped working.

Strange journey cancer takes you on. All consuming, all disrupting. Funny, but my husband never got a Gleason score. It didn't matter. The cancer was all over his lymph system and his bones. Hope we can get 10 months out of the Taxotere.

Susiebelle

I asked about Vietnam
    I asked about Vietnam because they assume my husband contacted his PC due to his exposure to agent orange. Did your husband have a biopsy? If so he probably has a gleason score. No, it doesn't matter but tells you how aggressive the cancer is but stage IV tells you that too!
    Good luck to you and your husband. Sheila
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    jimbeam50 said:

I asked about Vietnam
    I asked about Vietnam because they assume my husband contacted his PC due to his exposure to agent orange. Did your husband have a biopsy? If so he probably has a gleason score. No, it doesn't matter but tells you how aggressive the cancer is but stage IV tells you that too!
    Good luck to you and your husband. Sheila

Sheila and others....I hope
    Sheila and others....I hope you know that if the male stepped foot in vietnam that you are eligible to receive benefits from the VA For the exposure to Agent Orange causing Prostate cancer. You can file a claim. If you did not know this please check out 'healing well web site prostate cancer forum' There are several threads going on overthere about getting the benefits that are rightly due to you. Sonny posts from time to time on this forum and he just got his approval for 100% disability on his Prostate Cancer.

I missed the Vietnam experience but if you served then GET YOUR BENEFIT...You rightly deserve it.

Larry (age 55)
  • 2ndBase
    2ndBase Member Posts: 220
    Same Gleason
    Mine was 9, had already spread and was told surgery was not an option. Had one Lupron shot and 40 radiation treatments. I was 52 then and am 59 today after being given maybe 2 years to live. I go the stress out of my life and know that is a major reason for my long survival. My psa was 24 when dx and is now well over 100 but I do not worry about it and see no long term benefit from further treatment as I choose a better quality of life over the side effects of treatment at this point. If your cancer has already spread then you need to think about quality of life alot because there are many side effects to any treatment. Do not stress about it and all the best to you.
  • RNOR
    2ndBase said:

Same Gleason
    Mine was 9, had already spread and was told surgery was not an option. Had one Lupron shot and 40 radiation treatments. I was 52 then and am 59 today after being given maybe 2 years to live. I go the stress out of my life and know that is a major reason for my long survival. My psa was 24 when dx and is now well over 100 but I do not worry about it and see no long term benefit from further treatment as I choose a better quality of life over the side effects of treatment at this point. If your cancer has already spread then you need to think about quality of life alot because there are many side effects to any treatment. Do not stress about it and all the best to you.

SAME GLEASON
    Hi 2ndBase: Thanks for your reply. Very GOOD INFO and well delivered. I just had robotic surgery 3-26-2010. Cancer had spread to one of my six lymph nodes harvested.
    Had post-op PSA on 4-26-2010 and will find out my post-op PSA numbers are on 5-10-2010.

Thanks again for your supportive and candid testimony!!!

God Bless and...Success To You!!!
  • Steve199
    Steve199 Member Posts: 3
    Same Gleason 9 Is it still in the prostrate
    norwood I chose HIFU as a first treatment. It's not done in the USA except with the FDA trials. Procedure was in Canada by a very experienced Dr. on 10-22-09. My 6 month PSA is .001. The first thing I think you need to do is do everything you can to see if its still in the prostrate then decide on the treatment. I went to Sarasota, Fla and had a MRI Telsa-3 done. It's like looking at your prostrate in High Definition. It's my understanding only five are in the USA and mostly at research Institutions. The Dr. in Sarasota is also a HIFU Doctor however; I chose another Doctor to do the HIFU procedure. I'm blessed that I chose the path I took and I'm greatly in appreciation to both Doctors for the knowledge I learned from both. After you have done all you can do in determining it's still in the prostrate then choose the best and most experienced Doctor with what ever method you choose in your treatment.
  • sueanne1
    sueanne1 Member Posts: 1
    gleason score of 9
    Hi Norwood. My husband had a PSA count of over 4000 when he went into surgery five years ago. It went over 4000 again last year. His latest count is 749. He has prostate bone cancer and is doing very well. He is 74 years old, and we expect him to be around for the next five to ten years. Bob has gone through the hormone treatment at the beginning, along with radiation. When he came off of the hormone treatment he went through the chemo therapy for almost two years, then another round of radiation. the only thing that has caused him any grief was the Zometa he was advised to take. This has caused him nothing but trouble with his mouth. Two years ago he had an abscessed tooth and was treated for that and had the tooth extracted. The gum will never heal and the dentist is just waiting for the bone to rot out enough so he can get the bone out. Bob cannot go through a bone transplant using his own bone since he has bone cancer. Just keep yourself busy and keep your mind active, and you can live a long, healthy life. Do not give in to the cancer. Good luck, and God bless.