reconstruction surgery..,.expander placed in me and worried about the unknown.

blessedandfavored
blessedandfavored Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a mastectomy done on 2-16-2010. Last Wednesday, 4-28-2010, I went in for suregery to have the expander placed in me. I have been REALLY SORE where the expander was placed. I am just wondering if anyone out there can tell me if they have gone thru this, and if so, what can I expect as far as the entire ordeal. How does this work? Will the pain get better anytime soon? I noticed that it is usually when I am first trying to get out of bed, or getting into bed, that I really feel uncomfortable? I know that I just had my surgery, and I expected to be sore, but can I get some feedback on how long this pain will last?
I was told that I would be going back approximately every ten days to get fluids inserted. Is that process uncomfortable, and does it leave you sore again? Worried about the unknown....

Comments

• ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    not sure
    I had my expanders placed at the same time as the mastectomies so, it's hard to know which pain was caused by what. But, my expanders went way under my arms and that area was really tender for over a week (closer to 2 weeks I think). The expander edges are hard and sort of folded up and they irritate most of the tissue they touch. Mine were never comfortable. They got more comfortable around the edges each time they were expanded. Now they also felt tighter each time they were expanded. The expander has a port on the front that the plastic surgeon locates with a magnet. He then injects a big syringe of saline. So many nerves were cut with the mastectomy that it really doesn't hurt, sometimes you hardly feel the injection. As the expander gets bigger the muscles and skin get stretched so, it feels tight for a few days. I would usually take a pain pill for a night or 2 after the expansion to help me get comfortable enough to sleep. So, it's not fun but, it's do-able. And you will be so pleased once it is replaced with the implant.

Hope this helps. And i hope you feel more comfortable soon.

Hugs, El
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    I'll 2nd what El said. Its
    I'll 2nd what El said. Its do-able! Had my bilateral mastectomy on Feb 16th also! But had expanders put in at same time. I dont have alot of skin to stretch as i had very small boobs anyway,but it does feel tight after an exoansion. I've had 3 up to now and if i'm honest.its got more unconfortable each time.

I went every 3 weeks but its only 2 between my last one and next one.I had 60ml in each side in the 2nd and 3rd expansions. Not sure if a can hack 60ml on my 4th one. Had 3rd one done last thursday and its still tight and the chest muscle under the whole expander is sore. Pulling myself up out of bed hurts,but its easing up slowly. It may be that im nearing the end of my expansions if i wont stretch much more.

Taking pain med's helps and something to relax your muscles before bedtime for a night or two after a top-up will help.I take a Codeine pill.

If you are still having problems getting out of bed,instead of straining and pulling yourself up,roll onto your side a bit and roll out of bed almost!

best of luck
  • blessedandfavored

not sure
    I had my expanders placed at the same time as the mastectomies so, it's hard to know which pain was caused by what. But, my expanders went way under my arms and that area was really tender for over a week (closer to 2 weeks I think). The expander edges are hard and sort of folded up and they irritate most of the tissue they touch. Mine were never comfortable. They got more comfortable around the edges each time they were expanded. Now they also felt tighter each time they were expanded. The expander has a port on the front that the plastic surgeon locates with a magnet. He then injects a big syringe of saline. So many nerves were cut with the mastectomy that it really doesn't hurt, sometimes you hardly feel the injection. As the expander gets bigger the muscles and skin get stretched so, it feels tight for a few days. I would usually take a pain pill for a night or 2 after the expansion to help me get comfortable enough to sleep. So, it's not fun but, it's do-able. And you will be so pleased once it is replaced with the implant.

Hope this helps. And i hope you feel more comfortable soon.

Hugs, El

Thanks for the information.
    Thanks for the information. I am so looking forward to when this is all done with and I can walk aroud with my new boobie! (smile)

The pain has lessened, and I am thankful for that! When getting out of bed is when it is the most uncomfortable, but I KNOW I CAN DO THIS!

Thanks for the information and the support..... I will keep you updated on my progress. ;)

BAF
  • blessedandfavored
    m-star said:

I'll 2nd what El said. Its
    I'll 2nd what El said. Its do-able! Had my bilateral mastectomy on Feb 16th also! But had expanders put in at same time. I dont have alot of skin to stretch as i had very small boobs anyway,but it does feel tight after an exoansion. I've had 3 up to now and if i'm honest.its got more unconfortable each time.

I went every 3 weeks but its only 2 between my last one and next one.I had 60ml in each side in the 2nd and 3rd expansions. Not sure if a can hack 60ml on my 4th one. Had 3rd one done last thursday and its still tight and the chest muscle under the whole expander is sore. Pulling myself up out of bed hurts,but its easing up slowly. It may be that im nearing the end of my expansions if i wont stretch much more.

Taking pain med's helps and something to relax your muscles before bedtime for a night or two after a top-up will help.I take a Codeine pill.

If you are still having problems getting out of bed,instead of straining and pulling yourself up,roll onto your side a bit and roll out of bed almost!

best of luck

Thanks M-star..... it's
    Thanks M-star..... it's always so much better when you have people you can talk to about what we are going through. The information you and EL gave me was really helpful!

Thanks for the information and the support....

Make sure to let me know how everything turns out after they remove the expanders.

Best of luck,
    BAF