Financial Assistance for BRCA testing

Aortus
Aortus Member Posts: 967
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Everyone here knows how important BRCA testing can be in the war against the evil BC beast. Sadly, it is very expensive and many insurance companies won't cover it (thank God, my beloved Moopy's insurance did). Myriad (the company that performs the test) does offer some financial aid for those who need BRCA testing but cannot afford it. Here is the link:

http://www.myriadtests.com/index.php?page_id=51

If anyone else has tips to share on paying for BRCA testing, please post them to this thread. With luck, this will be the first thread to pop up on CSN when someone types "BRCA" and any word having to do with finances.

Joe

Comments

• m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    not sure if my friends
    not sure if my friends charity will eventually cover this,or if its just for aiding with BC screening type of thing,but her charity is at

www.courageismystrength.com

She only founded it earlier this year so it's still in its first stages yet.
  • GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    When you
    Your Onc should have someone that will sit down with you and go over the test, shows you a video, and explains the financial aspect of it. From what I read if your out of pocket is above a certain dollar amount they will set up payment options.
    Regardless, dont skip the test because you dont think you can afford it....options are available.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    GregStahl said:

When you
    Your Onc should have someone that will sit down with you and go over the test, shows you a video, and explains the financial aspect of it. From what I read if your out of pocket is above a certain dollar amount they will set up payment options.
    Regardless, dont skip the test because you dont think you can afford it....options are available.

got a denial from my insurance a week ago
    and need to appeal. Myriad think it is a mistake. I am not surprised. I have non-stop ongoing battle with my insurance since my diagnosis. it is as a second front. I beat the cancer still fighting with insurance (BCBS of Utah, subsidiary of Blue Shield.).
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    BRCA - Myriad Lawsuit by ACLU
    They actually had a story on this on one of the TV news shows (maybe 60 Minutes??). I watched with interest because my onc's office went over the whole financial aspect of having the test done and weren't sure if my insurance would pay for it (they did). From what the story said, there are many labs out there that "discovered" certain genes and now hold exclusive patents to them. This means that they are the only ones who can test for the genes or research treatments (without their approval). Thus, there is no competition to assist in setting reasonable prices. They said that in Europe, the test costs a couple hundred $$ because they don't honor the "patent." There was a cancer researcher on who said he couldn't really talk about it (it sounded like because of legal issues) but that these "patents" were interferring with the ability to research new tests and treatment. At the end, they said that the case had been taken to court by the ACLU and that Myriad lost the first round but is, of course, expected to appeal.

Go figure - a lab finds a new gene and then is able to control our medical destiny??

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62T35X20100330
  • Cindy Ann
    Cindy Ann Member Posts: 101
    BRCA
    I just got diagnosed last week with breast cancer. There is a good chance it is on my side and my husbands that our 34 year old daughter could carry the gene. My mother had breast cancer now I do same breast same area. My daughter today was blessed with a wonderful Gyn who pleaded with her to do the test. She said she could not afford the cost if her insurance does not pay. Her doctor then told her pay him 4.00 a mth if they don't pay. He is in his early 40's and says he will live to see every penny at $4.00 a month. He knows me and he has delivered all her baby girls(3) and wants to make sure they have a fighting chance like I do and my Mom did. There are some good guys out there that actually care enough to do what her doc did. I hope everyone one day will do the same. I never got BRCA. Now it would not matter. I would do nothing different then the plan my surgeon laid out with my input. I want to also say mine was found by doing my yearly mammogram. Early cancer caught early. So if you can't get tested get your mammograms faithfully... I am living proof they work..

Cindy Ann