playmach
playmach Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I am really scared

Comments

• catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    It is scary. How about more
    It is scary. How about more information. We have all been scared.
  • playmach
    catcon49 said:

It is scary. How about more
    It is scary. How about more information. We have all been scared.

diagnosed
    I was told I have a 3.5mg x3.7mg mass in my middle right lobe and some swollen lymph nodes. I live in Montana and have to wait until the 11t of this month to get a pet scan and then I see the cancer doctor on the 24th this having to wait is the worst. I was coughing up blood and my doctor did an xray and then they did a ct scan which showed the mass.
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    playmach said:

diagnosed
    I was told I have a 3.5mg x3.7mg mass in my middle right lobe and some swollen lymph nodes. I live in Montana and have to wait until the 11t of this month to get a pet scan and then I see the cancer doctor on the 24th this having to wait is the worst. I was coughing up blood and my doctor did an xray and then they did a ct scan which showed the mass.

Are you sure it's cancer?
    An ER doc told me I had cancer based entirely on a CT scan but it turned out not to be true, instead it was a really bad lung infection. I am not saying with any certainty that you don't have cancer as I can't possibly know. But I'm very surprised they are starting with a PET scan and not a biopsy. PET scans often give false positives and it seems a biopsy is in order first. Please do not go into cancer treatment until you have had a biopsy. An infection will light up as cancer on a PET scan, I know this first hand.

Good luck, and we are always here if you need to talk.
  • playmach

Are you sure it's cancer?
    An ER doc told me I had cancer based entirely on a CT scan but it turned out not to be true, instead it was a really bad lung infection. I am not saying with any certainty that you don't have cancer as I can't possibly know. But I'm very surprised they are starting with a PET scan and not a biopsy. PET scans often give false positives and it seems a biopsy is in order first. Please do not go into cancer treatment until you have had a biopsy. An infection will light up as cancer on a PET scan, I know this first hand.

Good luck, and we are always here if you need to talk.

Biopsy
    They told me that where the mass is they cannot get to it to do a biopsy. I am so thankful that you are talking to me!!!! Thaks Esther
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    playmach said:

Biopsy
    They told me that where the mass is they cannot get to it to do a biopsy. I am so thankful that you are talking to me!!!! Thaks Esther

I see.
    OK, if they can't do a biopsy then I hope they will find another way to give you the information you need. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.
  • patricia55
    patricia55 Member Posts: 10

I see.
    OK, if they can't do a biopsy then I hope they will find another way to give you the information you need. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.

There is hope
    I know how you feel. I was diaginosed in may 09 with a tumor the size of a baseball in my right lung.
    went thru chemo and radiation ( heavy dose) I was so scared and so was my husband. I think the worst part is on the families.back to treatment- I did not lose my hair I did lose 40 pounds and have now put 30 back on!! could not have surgery due to heavy radiation, at first I was really scared but the 2 pet scans showed the tumor shrinking severly, (THANK GOD) yes you have to have a lot of faith and prayers going thru this. the dr said he did not want to see me for 2 months and that at the rate it was going he feels that I only need a chest x-ray at this point..he said any changes and he has a new preventive treatment we can do but at this time we do not need it. I also was taken off work, i HAD A VERY STESSFUL JOB AND i REALLY THINK THAT GETTING AWAY FROM THAT HELPED.you need your family and friends and a LOT of faith and prayers thru this. my husband stiil has his days and just last night said he is so thankful as he can not imingine life with out me that he would have no reason to come home at night. this is why I think it"s harder on loved ones as I am happy and looking forward to many years with him and the kids and grandkids
  • playmach

There is hope
    I know how you feel. I was diaginosed in may 09 with a tumor the size of a baseball in my right lung.
    went thru chemo and radiation ( heavy dose) I was so scared and so was my husband. I think the worst part is on the families.back to treatment- I did not lose my hair I did lose 40 pounds and have now put 30 back on!! could not have surgery due to heavy radiation, at first I was really scared but the 2 pet scans showed the tumor shrinking severly, (THANK GOD) yes you have to have a lot of faith and prayers going thru this. the dr said he did not want to see me for 2 months and that at the rate it was going he feels that I only need a chest x-ray at this point..he said any changes and he has a new preventive treatment we can do but at this time we do not need it. I also was taken off work, i HAD A VERY STESSFUL JOB AND i REALLY THINK THAT GETTING AWAY FROM THAT HELPED.you need your family and friends and a LOT of faith and prayers thru this. my husband stiil has his days and just last night said he is so thankful as he can not imingine life with out me that he would have no reason to come home at night. this is why I think it"s harder on loved ones as I am happy and looking forward to many years with him and the kids and grandkids

Thanks Patricia for the
    Thanks Patricia for the uplifting letter, I am trying to be strong I also have a very stressful job. My family and friends are here to support me so that is good. I just find it very hard to wait for the tests I need, it is making me very nervous but my Doctor gave me valium so that is helping a little. I am so glad to hear you are doing well. Thank for talking to me .......Esther
  • LaurelC29
    LaurelC29 Member Posts: 3
    diagnosed
    I was just diagnosed in February. Also just had 3rd Chemo Cocktail yesterday. After the next one is a new MRI to see if the one tumor in my lung has shrunk. I also had to have a tumor removed from my colon. This disease sucks. I had a life in January and one month later cancer is trying to kill me and I am scared to death. I am only 51. I did to myself smoking. Live to all, don't ever stop believing you will live and be happy, I hang on to it so tight I will make the odds.
  • ksblack
    ksblack Member Posts: 20 Member
    LaurelC29 said:

diagnosed
    I was just diagnosed in February. Also just had 3rd Chemo Cocktail yesterday. After the next one is a new MRI to see if the one tumor in my lung has shrunk. I also had to have a tumor removed from my colon. This disease sucks. I had a life in January and one month later cancer is trying to kill me and I am scared to death. I am only 51. I did to myself smoking. Live to all, don't ever stop believing you will live and be happy, I hang on to it so tight I will make the odds.

lung
    I have not been diagnosed with lung cancer but have had infections every 2months for the last few years and another one now. The lung x-ray showed fibroids and that scares me. I had thyroid cancer 3 years and had a total thyroidectomy. If the cancer comes back it would be lungs, bones, or liver. This is what is scaring me. I go back Monday to see if they have changed. I am on 6 new drugs, 1 is a dieuretic as I have a lot of fluids built up in my body causing swelling in lungs and everywhere. What were your symptoms if you don't mind me asking?

Hope you get better.
  • Mr_B
    Mr_B Member Posts: 1
    playmach said:

Biopsy

How Are You Today?
    playmach: I saw your messages and can feel your nervousness. Are you okay today?

While I find it hard to believe that a biopsy cannot be done, I would assume that you and your doctor(s) have discussed it at length, that you are satisfied that that is the case, and that you have developed a level of confidence with him/her. If not, you might want to consider asking for another opinion on whether a biopsy can be done. At least you may want to research more into your own situation, as scary as that may be, but the more you know, the better prepared you will be to assist in your own recovery, including understanding what the doctors say and what it may mean to your treatment. This Network is one good place to be for that. YOU will be making the choices in the steps that follow. You will need to be confident. Scared is okay, we all have been; but, this is your life and you will call the shots. Your attitude and approach can help you get through this. It is vital to be positive. The support of family and friends can go a long way to helping with this.

So you know, I am currently under treatment for metastisized renal cell CA (RCC), first diagnosed and "surgerized" in 1994. I have been without my left kidney since then (CA-free for 15 years). I now have a right lung tumor diagnosed in November 2009, which is dangerously close to major heart structures. I have been taking oral chemotherapy since then to shrink the tumor sufficiently to permit other intervention. Despite the location of the tumor, I had a "through the chest" biopsy done to confirm the RCC. Make sure that the biopsy is out of the question because lab results of tumor tissue are the best diagnostic tools.

For now, if you can, relax. The tests that are planned will be helpful in diagnosis and plotting your next steps. These often take time to set up and report on, but if the situation called for more immediate action it is likely that your doctor would speed it up. You may want to ask him/her for more timely tests, if possible. There may be limitations on resources to do them in your area or with your health care provider. Either way, you should be told why. If you haven't already done so, consider doing research to see what is generally called for in cases like yours. If your doctor has not brought up things that you've found and are of concern to you, ask about them and be sure that you are satisfied that you understand his/her thinking and how these things affect you.

I hope you are doing better today. I'll be thinking of you.
  • mamacita5
    mamacita5 Member Posts: 254 Member
    I'm scared too...
    Just found out for sure I have cancer after my biopsy last week. I am only 56 and still have two boys at home. My husband is very supportive and so far my work has been understanding of my doctor's appointments and missed days at work. Needless to say I am scared out of my mind. We are spending lots of time on our knees. Not sure where you live, but if you live in the Southwest did they give you a test for cocci (Valley Fever)? They tested me and it came out preliminarily positive, but when tested further it was not VF.I was holding out hope that is what it was going to be. I hope all goes well with you.