I am a big chicken

BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I almost did it but chickened out at the last minute. I drove all the way to the supermarket bare headed with my little 1/4 inch of hair. I brushed it real good to make sure all of the little hairs where in the right place. When I got to the parking lot of the store. I sat there for a minute and had to put my bandana on. Couldn't do it. Not ready yet I guess. Hopefully soon I will be able to face the world bare headed.

Hugs to All

Donna

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    You will do it when you are
    You will do it when you are ready to. No reason to rush it until you feel good about it.

Good luck to you!
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    peach fuzz
    Donna, you have been braver than most can ever realize, just going through the diagnosis, surgery, chemo, etc that comes along with this journey. If you are not ready to go "bare", that is your decision. But chicken??? hah. Never.
    But, just imagine a small breeze wafting through your peach fuzz, it's a wonderful feeling, and when you finally do it, you will love it.

Baby steps until then!
    Cat
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    not a chicken
    You have fought the bc battle---there is nothing chicken about you! You will show your new head of hair when you are ready.

Hugs, El
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Yep!
    I know what you mean. There have been times I've gotten dressed, make-up on, earrings, etc. and thought "hmmmm, not too bad", but I just can't get myself to do it. You mentioned 'brushing' your hair which I don't have near enough to brush. It looks a bit like Pitt's hair in her '3-month out from chemo pic'. It will be 3 months for me on the 4th. It is growing EVER SO SLOW! These smart ladies once again have said some very wise things... chickens we are NOT! We have fought a huge battle and WON! We might be a bit shy to advertise our wounds, but that's something we have a 'choice' to do. We didn't have a choice in losing it, but we sure have a choice to hide it until we're good & ready :)

Hugs, Mar
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Dont feel bad Donna. I have
    Dont feel bad Donna. I have a good inch and a half now and I still wont go out bare headed.
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    you can
    you can do it when you are ready, i went from chemo to rads and my hair started growing back now it has come back out after rads now going back to chemo this month the rads burn out the few little hairs that i did have all of the time i wear a hat unless i am driving when i go in to a store i put my hat on.i feel so free driving with out it on. don't know if i am ready to face people with out it yet..keep up the good work...girl power
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762

you can
    you can do it when you are ready, i went from chemo to rads and my hair started growing back now it has come back out after rads now going back to chemo this month the rads burn out the few little hairs that i did have all of the time i wear a hat unless i am driving when i go in to a store i put my hat on.i feel so free driving with out it on. don't know if i am ready to face people with out it yet..keep up the good work...girl power

for a while I used a toothbrush
    to brush my hairs! hahaha NOW I just use my wet hands to put it in place. Still waiting for the day when I can use a REAL brush!! but I know it's just around that elusive corner.
    WE CAN DO THIS!!! The thing about going out in public with a bald (or almost bald) head is kind of a way to show your "scars" for what you've been through. AND maybe, just maybe there is someone who needs to see you to know they will make it to your point and still be able to be walking around in the real world.
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Donna, try going to the
    Donna, try going to the grocery store wearing only a baseball cap first! That helped me. Little steps, my friend. After awhile, you'll forget where you put the cap down and just go without!!! :-) Little steps...
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    pitt said:

Donna, try going to the
    Donna, try going to the grocery store wearing only a baseball cap first! That helped me. Little steps, my friend. After awhile, you'll forget where you put the cap down and just go without!!! :-) Little steps...

It always seems when I am having a question or dilema
    one of you posts first and I get my info! How do you all know?? The hair issue is at the forefront for me now. Out of chemo since 12-09 and have 1 1/2 in all around the sides, the top is slower and still under an inch. You can see my scalp on the top. But I am so sick of wearing junk on my head! I have ditched the wig, it's getting warm here and I hate the feel of it on my forehead etc. I don't have anything special planned so I don't think about the wig anymore. I'm now into baseball caps. Got a couple of great ones from TLC Catalogue, and my hair is visible in front of my ears and a little at the back. But I am finding myself just taking it off more and more. No more covering when freinds or neighbors come over...always bare headed in car (still cover in stores and public places)but will whip off the hat wherever I am to show a friend. I'm getting braver. Once my top is covered, that' it, no more covering. Except for sun protection. I have a scalp sunblock and the hats from TLC are made from a material thiat also blocks UV rays.

I am now putting product in my hair and combing it with a real fine tooth comb, even have a little part! Seeing my hairdresser next week for an assesment, gonna color very soon and am getting a new shampoo which promotes growth. I'll give you all the name when I get it. My hairdresser has been using it in her shop for almost a year and she said it works really good in promoting hair growth in thin hair. Fingers crossed, I'll keep you all posted.

I nvevr thought I would be revealing my head so soon, I do it gradually a little at a time and IT FEELS SO GOOD! Just do it little at a time and you'll get threre. Your friends will be really happy for you and I'm getting used to my new shorter syle...

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Skeezie said:

It always seems when I am having a question or dilema
    one of you posts first and I get my info! How do you all know?? The hair issue is at the forefront for me now. Out of chemo since 12-09 and have 1 1/2 in all around the sides, the top is slower and still under an inch. You can see my scalp on the top. But I am so sick of wearing junk on my head! I have ditched the wig, it's getting warm here and I hate the feel of it on my forehead etc. I don't have anything special planned so I don't think about the wig anymore. I'm now into baseball caps. Got a couple of great ones from TLC Catalogue, and my hair is visible in front of my ears and a little at the back. But I am finding myself just taking it off more and more. No more covering when freinds or neighbors come over...always bare headed in car (still cover in stores and public places)but will whip off the hat wherever I am to show a friend. I'm getting braver. Once my top is covered, that' it, no more covering. Except for sun protection. I have a scalp sunblock and the hats from TLC are made from a material thiat also blocks UV rays.

I am now putting product in my hair and combing it with a real fine tooth comb, even have a little part! Seeing my hairdresser next week for an assesment, gonna color very soon and am getting a new shampoo which promotes growth. I'll give you all the name when I get it. My hairdresser has been using it in her shop for almost a year and she said it works really good in promoting hair growth in thin hair. Fingers crossed, I'll keep you all posted.

I nvevr thought I would be revealing my head so soon, I do it gradually a little at a time and IT FEELS SO GOOD! Just do it little at a time and you'll get threre. Your friends will be really happy for you and I'm getting used to my new shorter syle...

Hugs, Judy :-)

I went bare to the store a
    I went bare to the store a few weeks ago with my 1 1/2 hair. I felt very strange and kept looking to see if anyone was looking at me. ( they were not ). However we went to a BBQ party/ birthday yesterday and I could not do it. I wore my hat. My husband said I look fine with out cover. I am getting there, I have to with the heat coming, I am so sick of all my cover ups.
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Kat11 said:

I went bare to the store a
    I went bare to the store a few weeks ago with my 1 1/2 hair. I felt very strange and kept looking to see if anyone was looking at me. ( they were not ). However we went to a BBQ party/ birthday yesterday and I could not do it. I wore my hat. My husband said I look fine with out cover. I am getting there, I have to with the heat coming, I am so sick of all my cover ups.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions
    I think I might try the baseball caps. I too am really tired of my wig and every other head cover that I have.

Thanks again

Donna
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions
    I think I might try the baseball caps. I too am really tired of my wig and every other head cover that I have.

Thanks again

Donna

Donna you are not a chicken!!
    You'll know when you are ready. I always felt that I had to explain to everyone why my hair was so short, I felt very self-conscious. And you know what....most strangers really don't pay attention to us like we think they are! I also wear a pink cancer awareness bracelet and finger ring.

You hang in there my friend!!

Patti
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Marlene_K said:

Yep!
    I know what you mean. There have been times I've gotten dressed, make-up on, earrings, etc. and thought "hmmmm, not too bad", but I just can't get myself to do it. You mentioned 'brushing' your hair which I don't have near enough to brush. It looks a bit like Pitt's hair in her '3-month out from chemo pic'. It will be 3 months for me on the 4th. It is growing EVER SO SLOW! These smart ladies once again have said some very wise things... chickens we are NOT! We have fought a huge battle and WON! We might be a bit shy to advertise our wounds, but that's something we have a 'choice' to do. We didn't have a choice in losing it, but we sure have a choice to hide it until we're good & ready :)

Hugs, Mar

No, you are not a chicken.
    No, you are not a chicken. You just weren't ready. No big deal. You will when you feel like it.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    How much is enough?
    Donna. I am about where you are. Can't make myself go without a head cover, but have enough hair that I probably could. How much in enough? I sure don't know.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    pattimc said:

Donna you are not a chicken!!
    You'll know when you are ready. I always felt that I had to explain to everyone why my hair was so short, I felt very self-conscious. And you know what....most strangers really don't pay attention to us like we think they are! I also wear a pink cancer awareness bracelet and finger ring.

You hang in there my friend!!

Patti

Like the others posted, you
    Like the others posted, you will know when it is time. Nothing chicken about that at all. You need to feel comfortable, and, that is all that matters.

Sue :)
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Donna, when the time is
    Donna, when the time is right for YOU you'll ditch the headcovers. As the others have said, it is different for everybody. On the other hand, isn't this a great problem to have? We've been through the treatments and lost our hair and now we have to decide as it's growing back when to bare it to the world. I just had my first actual haircut last Friday. There was actually hair on the floor. Granted, it wasn't much, but it was my hair. Good luck, you will be there soon.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Donna, when the time is
    Donna, when the time is right for YOU you'll ditch the headcovers. As the others have said, it is different for everybody. On the other hand, isn't this a great problem to have? We've been through the treatments and lost our hair and now we have to decide as it's growing back when to bare it to the world. I just had my first actual haircut last Friday. There was actually hair on the floor. Granted, it wasn't much, but it was my hair. Good luck, you will be there soon.

I have went bareheaded from
    I have went bareheaded from the get go. I am like my Daddy, If you don't like the way I look then don't look at me!" Plus it has started some good conversations. I think all women and men need to be educated about breast cancer awareness.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member

I have went bareheaded from
    I have went bareheaded from the get go. I am like my Daddy, If you don't like the way I look then don't look at me!" Plus it has started some good conversations. I think all women and men need to be educated about breast cancer awareness.

I love your attitude!
    You are one sassy gal! Maybe I'll get that brave. I don't mind people looking at my headscarves because I feel like a billboard for mammograms or something. When I had skin cancer surgery on my face a few years ago, I refused to cover with makeup because I wanted the questions and looks so I could tell people about sunscreen and skin checkups. I do think these real-life encounters are more effective education than anything else.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    I remember
    I remember sitting in a Bob Evans with my mother and my head started itching under the stupid hat I was wearing. I took off the hat to scratch my bald head and the woman across the aisle almost fell off her chair looking at me. I just shrugged my shoulders, smiled at her and put my hat back on. I looked at my Mom and she had turned her head the other way so the woman wouldn't see her laughing.

I took my hats off when my hair was about a half inch. The summer was coming and driving back from radiation was when I started.

You will, when you are ready.

Hugs - Pat
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Donna, when the time is

Myturnnow is right, when it
    Myturnnow is right, when it is the right time for you, you will. Don't be so hard on yourself.