surgery scheduled

2»

Comments

• XO143XO
    XO143XO Member Posts: 23
    Sending Healing & Positive Thoughts
    I do have a question though: Are you having the bilateral and the Diep at the same time? My PS said it would be a 14 hour surgery for me which is one reason I decided (then last night undecided) to do two separate surgeries 4-6 months apart. I am so confused...I didn't mean to turn your post into my question. I am still don't really know how this website works or what I should or shouldn't be doing. I accept help and advice so I don't offend or mess with what obviously works so well for everyone here. Kristi
  • TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
    Calleen said:

I had
    the flap surgery on both breasts. July 29th last year... I was in ICU 2 days then regular room 1 day.. I'm happy with my choice. I didn't use and pain meds and refused the morphine after 2 times of hitting the button. I wasn't in such horrible pain that I couldn't handle it. I had only had 2 scary nights. 1 was the 3rd night in the hospitial because I had a reaction to k_flex.. and the other at home my first night home alone. I think I had some trapped gas in my ribs on my right side in the back and it hurt! So with that make sure what you eat for awhile isn't too gassy...but I kept walking around and fianlly drank some water which seemed to relieve it.. after that. I walked around for about 10 days hunched over like a ol lady cause my belly skin was so tight. I also wore a compression girdle for aobut 5 weeks after. Helped alot!! I was driving (very short trips around town) after 11 days. because I wasn't on any narcotics. used a pillow between me and the steering wheel.. If you have any questions let me know...

Calleen,
    I am surprised you

Calleen,
    I am surprised you only stayed in a regular room 1 day. Was that Dr Bajaj's choice or yours? Did you have a double masectomy during your DIEP procedure? They told me I could be in the regular room any where form 2-4 days (after 2 days in ICU)? Maybe its because I live 2 hours away from her office.
  • TulsaMomof3
    XO143XO said:

Sending Healing & Positive Thoughts
    I do have a question though: Are you having the bilateral and the Diep at the same time? My PS said it would be a 14 hour surgery for me which is one reason I decided (then last night undecided) to do two separate surgeries 4-6 months apart. I am so confused...I didn't mean to turn your post into my question. I am still don't really know how this website works or what I should or shouldn't be doing. I accept help and advice so I don't offend or mess with what obviously works so well for everyone here. Kristi

Kristi
    I am scheduled for

Kristi
    I am scheduled for the DIEP with bilateral masectomy's this Wednesday. I was told it would take about 1 hour per breast for the masectomy's then anywhere from 6-10 hours on the DIEP depending on how difficult my blood vesels where. One thing to consider... My PS said that if I delayed the DIEP, and did not do it immiadately after the masecotmy's the cosmetic result would not be as good. She said with immediate reconstruction my outer breast skin can be saved and used again. If you do delayed reconstruction you have a much larger patch of skin that has to be used, therefore the permenant cosmectic result is not as good.

She asked me would you rather go through a big recovery twice or just get it over all at once? I opted to just get it done all at once so that after this surgery I can concentrate making sure I am cancer free, instead of dreading yet another major surgery. Plus this way I am actually looking forward to the surgery because I get to loose my belly fat :) So my focus is less on loosing my God given breast and I am able to have some sort of peace of mind.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Kristi
    I am scheduled for

Kristi
    I am scheduled for the DIEP with bilateral masectomy's this Wednesday. I was told it would take about 1 hour per breast for the masectomy's then anywhere from 6-10 hours on the DIEP depending on how difficult my blood vesels where. One thing to consider... My PS said that if I delayed the DIEP, and did not do it immiadately after the masecotmy's the cosmetic result would not be as good. She said with immediate reconstruction my outer breast skin can be saved and used again. If you do delayed reconstruction you have a much larger patch of skin that has to be used, therefore the permenant cosmectic result is not as good.

She asked me would you rather go through a big recovery twice or just get it over all at once? I opted to just get it done all at once so that after this surgery I can concentrate making sure I am cancer free, instead of dreading yet another major surgery. Plus this way I am actually looking forward to the surgery because I get to loose my belly fat :) So my focus is less on loosing my God given breast and I am able to have some sort of peace of mind.

Wishing you good luck on
    Wishing you good luck on Wednesday with your surgery Tulsamom! Glad you will have some peace of mind!

Hugs, Angie
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

DIEP
    I too am having the DIEP. On 5/5 I will have a BLM with the DIEP. My ps said 2 days ICU and 3-5 regular room depending on how I am doing. I think she may be keeping me longer because I live 2 hours away from her office and the hospital she is doing it in. I am so excited about the tummy tuck! I had a hard time deciding because of the recovery length but then I thought "1 year from now when I am healed and cancer free - what would I be most happy with" So I chose the DIEP because of all its benefits.

Sending you good luck and
    Sending you good luck and hugs too TulsaMom! Post to let us know how you do.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    good luck on your surgery.
    It is nice to be able to make a decision and be happy with it. I know I delayed reconstruction for over two years from my original BC surgery date, but even with the issues of recovery, it is worth it in the long run. And yes, it was a 6-8 hour surgery.
    I had the "free flap" and the PS (three of them) did a good job of making my partial mastectomy breast look whole again. I was in CCU for 2 days, ICU for 2 days and a regular room for 1 day. Felt well enough to go back to work, but didn't until the drains were removed. My final decision for going with reconstruction was that I needed to get the lumps under my radiated skin removed. It looked "suspicious" in the mammo, ultrasound and MRI. So for my peace of mind, i went under the knife again.
    Keep us posted as to how its going for you!
    Cat
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Kristi
    I am scheduled for

Kristi

Good luck with your
    Good luck with your mastectomy surgery tulsamom.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411

Calleen,
    I am surprised you

Calleen,
    I am surprised you only stayed in a regular room 1 day. Was that Dr Bajaj's choice or yours? Did you have a double masectomy during your DIEP procedure? They told me I could be in the regular room any where form 2-4 days (after 2 days in ICU)? Maybe its because I live 2 hours away from her office.

Well..
    the 2 days in ICU is to monitor the skin grafts. They seriously keep an Eagle eye on them! I couldn't rest at all in the hospitial and I wasn't taking any kind of meds. So there was no medical reason for me to stay. Dr Bajaj thought I would do better at home. I have 2 Daughters who were here taking very good care of me! BUT I let them do EVERYTHING for me!!I highly recommend sleeping in a recliner for at least 5 days! Mine was July 29 2009. And here I am nearly a year later and yes the tummy tuck is great. I'm very happy with my new figure.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    cats_toy said:

good luck on your surgery.
    It is nice to be able to make a decision and be happy with it. I know I delayed reconstruction for over two years from my original BC surgery date, but even with the issues of recovery, it is worth it in the long run. And yes, it was a 6-8 hour surgery.
    I had the "free flap" and the PS (three of them) did a good job of making my partial mastectomy breast look whole again. I was in CCU for 2 days, ICU for 2 days and a regular room for 1 day. Felt well enough to go back to work, but didn't until the drains were removed. My final decision for going with reconstruction was that I needed to get the lumps under my radiated skin removed. It looked "suspicious" in the mammo, ultrasound and MRI. So for my peace of mind, i went under the knife again.
    Keep us posted as to how its going for you!
    Cat

I am wishing you good luck
    I am wishing you good luck TulsaMom on your surgery day too! Update us so we know how you are doing. Praying you heal quickly!

HUGS!
  • XO143XO
    XO143XO Member Posts: 23

Kristi
    I am scheduled for

Kristi

I am Happy and Excited for you
    My profile sort of explains why I asked. At 5'6" and 185 (now) 190 (last week), plus I have only been smoke free for 5 weeks my PS said I was at the end of his "comfort zone" for doing it all at once. That's why I scheduled the bilateral w/o reconstruction. But I am going to cancel it, work my A$$ off the next month, hopefully drop 15 or so pounds and be 2 months smoke free. Then I am going to do it the way you are doing it; the way I wanted to do it. I am very happy for you. Keep us posted on how you're doing. KRisti xoxox
  • TulsaMomof3
    XO143XO said:

I am Happy and Excited for you
    My profile sort of explains why I asked. At 5'6" and 185 (now) 190 (last week), plus I have only been smoke free for 5 weeks my PS said I was at the end of his "comfort zone" for doing it all at once. That's why I scheduled the bilateral w/o reconstruction. But I am going to cancel it, work my A$$ off the next month, hopefully drop 15 or so pounds and be 2 months smoke free. Then I am going to do it the way you are doing it; the way I wanted to do it. I am very happy for you. Keep us posted on how you're doing. KRisti xoxox

Thats awesome! You will be
    Thats awesome! You will be so proud of yourself. I think dealing with cancer also makes us so much stronger to take on other aspects of our life. If you look at it like you will have a better body inspite of cancer it will give you more strength to get the job done.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Good Luck! I agree once the
    Good Luck! I agree once the decision is made, life feels much better. I am very happy with my bilateral decision and once that was set up, I breathed a sigh of relief and thought "ok, am on my way to being cancer free". Thoughts and prayers sending your way.

Good luck!
    Wishing you good luck! It does feel better to finally make your decision. Now you can proceed forward in your treatment!

Lex♥
  • Chrispea
    Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
    Good luck to you! Let us
    Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Chrispea said:

Good luck to you! Let us
    Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes.

Yes, both of you let us know
    Yes, both of you let us know how you are doing when you feel like it.

Sue :)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Thats awesome! You will be
    Thats awesome! You will be so proud of yourself. I think dealing with cancer also makes us so much stronger to take on other aspects of our life. If you look at it like you will have a better body inspite of cancer it will give you more strength to get the job done.

We will be waiting to hear
    We will be waiting to hear from you two as to how your surgery went. Praying for fast healing for the 2 of you!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Good Luck! I agree once the
    Good Luck! I agree once the decision is made, life feels much better. I am very happy with my bilateral decision and once that was set up, I breathed a sigh of relief and thought "ok, am on my way to being cancer free". Thoughts and prayers sending your way.

Good luck to you! Sending
    Good luck to you! Sending you prayers and positive thoughts!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣