surgery scheduled

jphilpo
jphilpo Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I finally made the decision to have a bilateral mastectomy and will have the diep flap surgery on June 14th. My pl tells me it will be about 6-8 hour surgery and then 24 hrs in ICU. Then, a long recovery. I am SO scared, but I know I am doing the right thing. After the last year I have had, mastectomy, chemo, rads, I just felt like I wanted to have my right breast gone & move on. Thank you all for your support. It really does help to read and get so much input from those "like me"!

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    jnl said:

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery!

Hugs, Leeza

Good luck with surgery!

Good luck with surgery!
  • elpasogirl64
    elpasogirl64 Member Posts: 4
    Good Luck!
    I can only imagine how it could be...I've been lucky so far, but who knows what will happen in the future. Sometimes breasts are more trouble then they are worth...:)
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Good Luck!
    I can only imagine how it could be...I've been lucky so far, but who knows what will happen in the future. Sometimes breasts are more trouble then they are worth...:)

Wishing you good luck also
    Wishing you good luck also with your surgery!

Sue :)
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Good Luck
    Good luck with your surgery.

Hugs
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    ladyg said:

Good Luck
    Good luck with your surgery.

Hugs

Good luck to you!

Good luck to you!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Kylez said:

Good luck to you!

Good luck to you!

Good luck
    with your surgery. Easy healing and quick recovery!
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    I think you're making a good
    I think you're making a good decision there and i wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Hopefully then you can put most of it behind you.It really does take alot of the worry away,believe me =)

Kay
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    m-star said:

I think you're making a good
    I think you're making a good decision there and i wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Hopefully then you can put most of it behind you.It really does take alot of the worry away,believe me =)

Kay

Hope your surgery goes well.

Hope your surgery goes well. It will be a relief to have it behind you.

Joyce
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    It's nice to have that
    peace of mind that comes with figuring out with you want and sticking to it.
    I hope that all goes well when that time comes! And you can make it through-look at everything you have come through already!
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121

It's nice to have that
    peace of mind that comes with figuring out with you want and sticking to it.
    I hope that all goes well when that time comes! And you can make it through-look at everything you have come through already!

Good Luck! I agree once the
    Good Luck! I agree once the decision is made, life feels much better. I am very happy with my bilateral decision and once that was set up, I breathed a sigh of relief and thought "ok, am on my way to being cancer free". Thoughts and prayers sending your way.
  • TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
    DIEP
    I too am having the DIEP. On 5/5 I will have a BLM with the DIEP. My ps said 2 days ICU and 3-5 regular room depending on how I am doing. I think she may be keeping me longer because I live 2 hours away from her office and the hospital she is doing it in. I am so excited about the tummy tuck! I had a hard time deciding because of the recovery length but then I thought "1 year from now when I am healed and cancer free - what would I be most happy with" So I chose the DIEP because of all its benefits.
  • jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177

DIEP
    I too am having the DIEP. On 5/5 I will have a BLM with the DIEP. My ps said 2 days ICU and 3-5 regular room depending on how I am doing. I think she may be keeping me longer because I live 2 hours away from her office and the hospital she is doing it in. I am so excited about the tummy tuck! I had a hard time deciding because of the recovery length but then I thought "1 year from now when I am healed and cancer free - what would I be most happy with" So I chose the DIEP because of all its benefits.

DIEP
    It was nice to hear how excited you are. I am starting to feel that way too. It's been such a long year and I am so happy to know that this will be my last surgery! (God willing)! Thanks for your support and I wish you the best on your surgery. Please post when you feel up to it! I would love to hear how you are doing.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    jphilpo said:

DIEP
    It was nice to hear how excited you are. I am starting to feel that way too. It's been such a long year and I am so happy to know that this will be my last surgery! (God willing)! Thanks for your support and I wish you the best on your surgery. Please post when you feel up to it! I would love to hear how you are doing.

Good luck Jphilipo! And,
    Good luck Jphilipo! And, this will be your last surgery! Keep a positive attitude!

Hugs, Diane
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    DianeBC said:

Good luck Jphilipo! And,
    Good luck Jphilipo! And, this will be your last surgery! Keep a positive attitude!

Hugs, Diane

Wishing you good luck too!

Wishing you good luck too!
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    DianeBC said:

Good luck Jphilipo! And,

Hugs, Diane

I had
    the flap surgery on both breasts. July 29th last year... I was in ICU 2 days then regular room 1 day.. I'm happy with my choice. I didn't use and pain meds and refused the morphine after 2 times of hitting the button. I wasn't in such horrible pain that I couldn't handle it. I had only had 2 scary nights. 1 was the 3rd night in the hospitial because I had a reaction to k_flex.. and the other at home my first night home alone. I think I had some trapped gas in my ribs on my right side in the back and it hurt! So with that make sure what you eat for awhile isn't too gassy...but I kept walking around and fianlly drank some water which seemed to relieve it.. after that. I walked around for about 10 days hunched over like a ol lady cause my belly skin was so tight. I also wore a compression girdle for aobut 5 weeks after. Helped alot!! I was driving (very short trips around town) after 11 days. because I wasn't on any narcotics. used a pillow between me and the steering wheel.. If you have any questions let me know...
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Calleen said:

I had
    the flap surgery on both breasts. July 29th last year... I was in ICU 2 days then regular room 1 day.. I'm happy with my choice. I didn't use and pain meds and refused the morphine after 2 times of hitting the button. I wasn't in such horrible pain that I couldn't handle it. I had only had 2 scary nights. 1 was the 3rd night in the hospitial because I had a reaction to k_flex.. and the other at home my first night home alone. I think I had some trapped gas in my ribs on my right side in the back and it hurt! So with that make sure what you eat for awhile isn't too gassy...but I kept walking around and fianlly drank some water which seemed to relieve it.. after that. I walked around for about 10 days hunched over like a ol lady cause my belly skin was so tight. I also wore a compression girdle for aobut 5 weeks after. Helped alot!! I was driving (very short trips around town) after 11 days. because I wasn't on any narcotics. used a pillow between me and the steering wheel.. If you have any questions let me know...

Sending you positive
    Sending you positive thoughts and good luck for your upcoming surgery!

HUGS
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

DIEP

Good luck to you too
    Good luck to you too TulsaMomof 3! Sending you prayers!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Kylez said:

Good luck to you too
    Good luck to you too TulsaMomof 3! Sending you prayers!

☻Good luck ☺
    Offering my good luck wishes to you for your surgery!

Kristin ♥
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Kristin N said:

☻Good luck ☺
    Offering my good luck wishes to you for your surgery!

Kristin ♥

Sending you prayers and
    Sending you prayers and positive thoughts also tulsamom!

Sue :)