arm and shoulderblade pain still 2 years after masectomy

bickeyb
bickeyb Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
does anyone else have pain in their arm and shoulderblade after masectomy? Had a/c and taxol and rads the pain will not go away!!??? have had this for 2 years and no one knows what is causing it.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Hi Bickeyb
    Welcome to the site. I just came back from PT/lymphedema therapist. My surgery was on June 24, 2008. I had 21 nodes remove, Chemo, radiation, hormonal therapy.Yet I still have pain in my arm and chest. It is getting better, but still here. I have almost 100% range of motion back, but usually by evening pain makes me exhausted. It is caused by treatments and little by little goes away. Keep doing your stretches, massages and keep the faith.
    New Flower
  • bickeyb

Hi Bickeyb
    Welcome to the site. I just came back from PT/lymphedema therapist. My surgery was on June 24, 2008. I had 21 nodes remove, Chemo, radiation, hormonal therapy.Yet I still have pain in my arm and chest. It is getting better, but still here. I have almost 100% range of motion back, but usually by evening pain makes me exhausted. It is caused by treatments and little by little goes away. Keep doing your stretches, massages and keep the faith.
    New Flower

thats the thing did you have
    thats the thing did you have physical therapy? The pain is so bad mostly at night but sometimes all day. 2 ddoctors say its from the treatment others say I should go to therpey
  • New Flower
    bickeyb said:

thats the thing did you have physical therapy? The pain is so bad mostly at night but sometimes all day. 2 ddoctors say its from the treatment others say I should go to therpey

Yes you need to see PT
    I have been seeing PT on and off starting 5 weeks after my surgery. I had radical modified mastectomy with reconstruction. What is your breast surgeon has recommended? Radiation has contributed to pain and formed scar tissues causing the pain.
  • bickeyb

Yes you need to see PT
    I have been seeing PT on and off starting 5 weeks after my surgery. I had radical modified mastectomy with reconstruction. What is your breast surgeon has recommended? Radiation has contributed to pain and formed scar tissues causing the pain.

No one talked to me about
    No one talked to me about after care until a couple of months ago. I did not have reconstruction. I beleive that it is scar tissue and now im to far out for pt. Do you think I should talk to the Dr. about pt??? Thanks New Flower
  • New Flower
    bickeyb said:

No one talked to me about
    No one talked to me about after care until a couple of months ago. I did not have reconstruction. I beleive that it is scar tissue and now im to far out for pt. Do you think I should talk to the Dr. about pt??? Thanks New Flower

It is never too late
    yes, ask your breast surgeon for physical therapist who specialized in breast cancer patients. Scar tissue could be fixed art any time.
    Your physical therapist will tell you if you need to see lymphedema therapist too. Do not give up!
    Good luck
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    bickeyb said:

I would say that you should
    I would say that you should probably see a PT. It certainly can't hurt. Good luck!
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    bickeyb.....
    I'm not sure if my pain is the same as what you are referring to. I have terrible pain in my shoulder joints, which causes aching down my arms, to my wrists, 24/7.
    Heat seems to help a bit and I eat ibuprofen like candy. Even so, sometimes, the pain is almost too much.

My Drs are sending me to a rheumatologist, as they feel it's a type of arthritis, caused by treatment. I just hope to get some relief.

Hugs,

CR