Find an oncologyst

Options
meira40
meira40 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello everybody. I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I might not be clear on everything. I am looking for an oncologist for the second opinion. I have been diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006. Had my chemo, mastectomy, more chemo, and radiation. I was good on femara and Lupron for 3 years till they found “old” cells on a tip of my lung last November. I had a biopsy on those cells, and they proved to be cancerous. But they were negative for HER2 and estrogen (while my original cancer was positive for both). My doctor decided that they did not get enough fluid for the biopsy and they considered that this is but a new cancer, but rather old cells that survived. My femara medication was changed to herceptine and faslodex. More PET scan followed to see if the new medication works. I got scan back in February that said that the cells are growing. I had a cold prior to the scan, but my doctor said it does not matter. After I got the results, I did some research and realized that it does matter. So, I asked for another scan. I got it last week. It was a CAT scan instead of PET. It was compared to the scan I had even before my chemo started and it shown no changes. I asked my doctor what it means with the biopcy and all. She was explaining something, but the main line is that she would not change my new treatment. But I don’t even know if I need this treatment or need femara. Or maybe they are new cells, not old.
Please, if you know a good, thinking doctor who can help me out to understand all this, please let me know. I leave in NY. My doctor is in Memorial Sloan Kettering, so I cannot have another doctor there. But anywhere else is fine. Thank you all

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Welcome
    to the site. Sorry for your situation. Even it is sounds strange you can still have a second opinion from Memorial Sloan Kettering and I would look for someone there, since all of your records are in place. I do not leave in NYC anymore. Have you looked at NYU? My friend was a patient there, but she had a very simple case.
  • meira40
    meira40 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Welcome
    to the site. Sorry for your situation. Even it is sounds strange you can still have a second opinion from Memorial Sloan Kettering and I would look for someone there, since all of your records are in place. I do not leave in NYC anymore. Have you looked at NYU? My friend was a patient there, but she had a very simple case.

thank you
    thank you for your reply. i did not look at NYU yet. i did not know they have oncology department. but thanks, i will search there.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Welcome

I agree with New Flower.
    I agree with New Flower. Why not go to another oncologist there at Memorial? If a doctor is any good, they never take offense at someone getting a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Don't limit yourself. Good luck to you!