My first chemo treatment

Boppy_of_6
Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I start my chemo this Fri. I will be taking Taxotere, Carboplatin and also Herceptin. I will most likely have to have Nuelasta also. I am getting nervous about it. Help me out someone with what to expect that day and over the following couple of days. Thanks

Comments

• grandmasueb
    grandmasueb Member Posts: 49
    Hi I just had my first chemo
    Hi I just had my first chemo treatment of A/C and I also take the Nuelasta shot the day after treatment. I really got sick a few hours after treatment,real bad headache,throwing up they gave me Zofran and compazine for nausea which didnt work. I really got sick on Sunday. The nurse called me this morning on my condition, and I had to go get IV fluids this afternoon and the nurse said that this is not the normal reaction to A/C They think I could have sinus infection told me to take sinus otc and they put this patch on my arm for nausea which I leave on for 7 days. I am telling you it has helped with my appetite and nausea. When you get treatment keep your DR informed of your condition at any sign of not feeling well they have all tpes of meds for nausea. As for the Nuelasta shot I have to give it to myself the day after treatment due to there is no one in office to give me the shot on Sat. I was nervous about that but it was a breeze the needle is so fine you dont even feel it. So I have came to the conclusion that it was sinus. I know its scarey and you will do great.Keep your DR informed if you experience any bad side effect of nausea so they can adjust your meds. Keep us updated on how it goes on fri and you are in our prayers.

Take care and in touch
    Sue
  • IsabelSierra
    IsabelSierra Member Posts: 40
    Hello
    I havent had chemo myself but my mom just had her first one 2 weeks ago...shes sittin next to me and i read your post to her, shes telling me to tell u her side effects, she was given taxotere, and im not sure what the other one was called but the chemotherapy did get her really sick but what got her more weak was the neulasta shot that she got the day after chemo it gave her pain all over her back and stomach! she couldnt eat or drink anything,she was feeling just fine the day of the chemo and the day after til 2 days later is when she couldnt get out of bed, she ended up in the ER room the following weekend for lack of liquids U must drink as much as possible im sure its gonna be hard because the vomitting wont stop but really try!
    my mom was dehydrated and low in potassium! eat bananas!
    but the hard times dont last forever she was feeling better a week after the chemo...she will recieve her second one next week but they changed the chemo dose.... i hope all goes well with you and stay positive! My mom was very very nervous as well but u can get through this with support and faith in god!
    Be positive and things will be just fine!
    Keep Us Posted!
    Good Luck!!!

Isabel
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233

Hello
    I havent had chemo myself but my mom just had her first one 2 weeks ago...shes sittin next to me and i read your post to her, shes telling me to tell u her side effects, she was given taxotere, and im not sure what the other one was called but the chemotherapy did get her really sick but what got her more weak was the neulasta shot that she got the day after chemo it gave her pain all over her back and stomach! she couldnt eat or drink anything,she was feeling just fine the day of the chemo and the day after til 2 days later is when she couldnt get out of bed, she ended up in the ER room the following weekend for lack of liquids U must drink as much as possible im sure its gonna be hard because the vomitting wont stop but really try!
    but the hard times dont last forever she was feeling better a week after the chemo...she will recieve her second one next week but they changed the chemo dose.... i hope all goes well with you and stay positive! My mom was very very nervous as well but u can get through this with support and faith in god!
    Keep Us Posted!
    Good Luck!!!

Isabel

Hello
    Hi...I had the same cocktail as you are going to have. I finished 6 rounds of it last December. I never got the neulasta though...I have to say I handled it well..never a sign of nausea or aching. I was just worn out for a few days after treatments. I definitely recommend drinking lots of water..starting a few days before treatment. This helps flush your system and helps ward off side effects. Only problems I had were digestive..constipation, indigestion, etc...hemmoroids with the very last treatment, which sounds awful. Good luck to you and make sure you let you doctor know if something just doesnt feel right!
  • Boppy_of_6

Hi I just had my first chemo treatment of A/C and I also take the Nuelasta shot the day after treatment. I really got sick a few hours after treatment,real bad headache,throwing up they gave me Zofran and compazine for nausea which didnt work. I really got sick on Sunday. The nurse called me this morning on my condition, and I had to go get IV fluids this afternoon and the nurse said that this is not the normal reaction to A/C They think I could have sinus infection told me to take sinus otc and they put this patch on my arm for nausea which I leave on for 7 days. I am telling you it has helped with my appetite and nausea. When you get treatment keep your DR informed of your condition at any sign of not feeling well they have all tpes of meds for nausea. As for the Nuelasta shot I have to give it to myself the day after treatment due to there is no one in office to give me the shot on Sat. I was nervous about that but it was a breeze the needle is so fine you dont even feel it. So I have came to the conclusion that it was sinus. I know its scarey and you will do great.Keep your DR informed if you experience any bad side effect of nausea so they can adjust your meds. Keep us updated on how it goes on fri and you are in our prayers.

Take care and in touch
    Sue

Thank you for the info. I
    Thank you for the info. I will keep you posted!
  • Boppy_of_6

Hello
    Keep Us Posted!
    Good Luck!!!

Isabel

Thank you for the info. I hope your Mom's next treatment is better. I know God will bring me through this.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Sam726 said:

Hello
    Hi...I had the same cocktail as you are going to have. I finished 6 rounds of it last December. I never got the neulasta though...I have to say I handled it well..never a sign of nausea or aching. I was just worn out for a few days after treatments. I definitely recommend drinking lots of water..starting a few days before treatment. This helps flush your system and helps ward off side effects. Only problems I had were digestive..constipation, indigestion, etc...hemmoroids with the very last treatment, which sounds awful. Good luck to you and make sure you let you doctor know if something just doesnt feel right!

to Sam726
    Thanks for the answers, since we have the same chemo I hope I do as well as it sounds like you did.I will defintely start drinking lots of water. Thanks again for the info!!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Take care and in touch
    Sue

I did Ac and then Taxol with
    I did Ac and then Taxol with herceptin. I am currenty still getting herceptin. I got the Nuelasta shot the day after AC treatment. My doctor gave me a drug calle Emend. This drug you take for 3 days the day of treatment, the next day and the 3rd day after treatment. I also took zofran. I never got sick ( throwing up ).About the 3rd or 4th day after treatment I would feel like I was coming down with something. I would sleep it off, it would last for a few days ( everyday getting better )then I would be fine again until my next treatment. It was not horrible, it was doable. Taxol was not as bad, just you get tired. Herceptin is really not a problem as far as making you feel bad. Rest when you need to and take the nausea meds even if you feel you don't need to. Good luck I wish you well.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Thank you for the info. I will keep you posted!

I didn't have chemo Boppy,
    I didn't have chemo Boppy, but, want to wish you the best of luck with your chemo.

Sue :)
  • chipoo
    chipoo Member Posts: 32
    Hello, I just finished the
    Hello, I just finished the same chemo. treatment you are getting. I took all of the anti-nausea meds. just like they prescribed and did not have a problem. I also had the Neulasta shot after all 6 treatments and did not have any side effects from it. You want to remember that everyone reacts differently to the chemo. and medications. I was nervous about side effects that I never got. They key is if you do get side effects let your onc. know right away so they can help you. Also, if possible try to stay active (exercise, take walks) I was able to exercise throughout the treatment and I think it really helped with how I felt.
    Take care,
    Marjorie
  • lisasmit
    lisasmit Member Posts: 11
    Just finished Chemo
    Hi, I just finished chemo 2 weeks ago. I had TAC with Nuelasta. I have to say that the chemo was not "normal" or "easy", but it was not nearly as bad as I had feared. I did get the medication "Emends" before chemo and for the two days after it. That is supposed to work really well for any nausa/ vomitting reactions. It must have. I never got "sick", but I did have ongoing cases of nausea and diarrhea. Those things, you can manage easily so: no problem.

I do remember my first treatment. What helped me get through it was to completely turn of the emotional side of my brain, and approach it as a learning experience or a mystery. I remember that half way through the treatment, my husband asked how I was feeling about everything. I could not even think about it. I simply told him that I could not go into my feelings at all. Later, after the treatment, I had time to process it.

My best advice: try not to picture or decide ahead of time what it will do to you physically. You might be wrong, but our minds have a lot of control of our bodies. I am still struggling with this concept as I'm now beginning radiation and have to remind myself not to get ahead of myself again.

I hope that things go well. I know that you will be able to handle what ever comes along. It will not be for very long. God Bless.

Lisa
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Boppy
    After each chemo you

Boppy

After each chemo you will discover a great change in your desire for food. With each chemo you will want just one or two things, kind of like being pregant. I made my husband search all over for apple turnovers one day and he came home empty handed.

I used pedialite to make jell-o with and drank it too to keep my electrolites up. I kept popsicles in the freezer. My first chemo I was eating ok, mashed potatoes and peas. My second was still mashed potatoes and peas. My third was jell-o, water, popsicles. My fourth was popsicles. When I got my legs back beneath me I would cruz the grocery store for something to eat. I drove my husband crazy when it came to food. He survived... Ah, yes, my legs. I didn't realize that my legs would become my first problem to adjust to. I wanted to go one way and my legs just wanted to wabbal. After each chemo my legs left me quicker and took longer to come back to full use. It was strange.

Drink plenty of fluids, eat what you can and what you want and can keep down, that is the secret to staying healthy during chemo. Hang in there, keep a good sense of humor, laugh a lot. Laughter is the best medicine.
  • Boppy_of_6
    lisasmit said:

Just finished Chemo
    Hi, I just finished chemo 2 weeks ago. I had TAC with Nuelasta. I have to say that the chemo was not "normal" or "easy", but it was not nearly as bad as I had feared. I did get the medication "Emends" before chemo and for the two days after it. That is supposed to work really well for any nausa/ vomitting reactions. It must have. I never got "sick", but I did have ongoing cases of nausea and diarrhea. Those things, you can manage easily so: no problem.

I do remember my first treatment. What helped me get through it was to completely turn of the emotional side of my brain, and approach it as a learning experience or a mystery. I remember that half way through the treatment, my husband asked how I was feeling about everything. I could not even think about it. I simply told him that I could not go into my feelings at all. Later, after the treatment, I had time to process it.

My best advice: try not to picture or decide ahead of time what it will do to you physically. You might be wrong, but our minds have a lot of control of our bodies. I am still struggling with this concept as I'm now beginning radiation and have to remind myself not to get ahead of myself again.

I hope that things go well. I know that you will be able to handle what ever comes along. It will not be for very long. God Bless.

Lisa

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, I am trying not to get ahead of myself. I hope I can take your advice on the day of treatment and kinda set myself apart from it. Best of luck with radiation God Bless
    Janice
  • Boppy_of_6
    chipoo said:

Hello, I just finished the
    Hello, I just finished the same chemo. treatment you are getting. I took all of the anti-nausea meds. just like they prescribed and did not have a problem. I also had the Neulasta shot after all 6 treatments and did not have any side effects from it. You want to remember that everyone reacts differently to the chemo. and medications. I was nervous about side effects that I never got. They key is if you do get side effects let your onc. know right away so they can help you. Also, if possible try to stay active (exercise, take walks) I was able to exercise throughout the treatment and I think it really helped with how I felt.
    Take care,
    Marjorie

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am trying not to get to wrapped up in what "might" happen.My Onc. and nurses have stressed to me, if what we give you is not working let us know and we will give you something different. I hope to do as well as it sounds like you did. I am concerned about the nuelasta but it sounds like you did ok with it too. Thanks again for the kind words God Bless
    Janice
  • Boppy_of_6

Boppy
    After each chemo you

Boppy

After each chemo you will discover a great change in your desire for food. With each chemo you will want just one or two things, kind of like being pregant. I made my husband search all over for apple turnovers one day and he came home empty handed.

I used pedialite to make jell-o with and drank it too to keep my electrolites up. I kept popsicles in the freezer. My first chemo I was eating ok, mashed potatoes and peas. My second was still mashed potatoes and peas. My third was jell-o, water, popsicles. My fourth was popsicles. When I got my legs back beneath me I would cruz the grocery store for something to eat. I drove my husband crazy when it came to food. He survived... Ah, yes, my legs. I didn't realize that my legs would become my first problem to adjust to. I wanted to go one way and my legs just wanted to wabbal. After each chemo my legs left me quicker and took longer to come back to full use. It was strange.

Drink plenty of fluids, eat what you can and what you want and can keep down, that is the secret to staying healthy during chemo. Hang in there, keep a good sense of humor, laugh a lot. Laughter is the best medicine.

Thanks
    Thank you for your reply. That about the food is interesting I have not heard anyone mention that before. Laughter is indeed a good medicine!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, I am trying not to get ahead of myself. I hope I can take your advice on the day of treatment and kinda set myself apart from it. Best of luck with radiation God Bless
    Janice

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with chemo on Friday Boppy!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am trying not to get to wrapped up in what "might" happen.My Onc. and nurses have stressed to me, if what we give you is not working let us know and we will give you something different. I hope to do as well as it sounds like you did. I am concerned about the nuelasta but it sounds like you did ok with it too. Thanks again for the kind words God Bless
    Janice

Just want to say good luck
    Just want to say good luck Boppy. And, you have found a great support group here, should you need it!