Hands swelling

JanInMN
JanInMN Member Posts: 149
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I noticed a few weeks ago that my index finger on the right was swollen a bit. Mentioned to the doc, who didn't seem too concerned. Today, I noticed that the other fingers are swelling a bit as well, and my hands feel tight when I make a fist. I had only 4 lymph nodes removed from the left, and 1 from the right. My arms/wrists are fine. I am on taxotere, carboplantin, and Herceptin. Anyone else get this?

Comments

• TawnyS
    TawnyS Member Posts: 144 Member
    Hi Jan! I have severe
    Hi Jan! I have severe issues with lymphedema. I did have all nodes removed from right. I am currently seeing a therapist everyday for the swelling (they call it congestion) and it really settles in my hand and fingers. From what she tells me whether you have one or two nodes removed or all you are at risk for lymphedema. The more node removal of course the higher risk. Anyway, I would suggest asking your oncologist or breast surgeon if there are any lymphedema therapists in your area you can consult with. Maybe be measured for a sleeve or just a glove or guantlet. There are also specific massage techniques for lymphedema. I have heard so many people say their doc just brushes the swelling off because they may not want to deal with it or don't have the resources in the area. Be proactive if in fact you may think you have the onset of lymphedema. Hope this helps! Tawny
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Jan,
    I had swelling exactly as you described. Noticed it first in my index finger. While I know it was slight, Doc said it was still lymphedema. I saw a PT who taught me how to gently massage the swelling. It has subsided. Keep watching it and follow up with you medical team.

Sue
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Jan,
    I had swelling exactly as you described. Noticed it first in my index finger. While I know it was slight, Doc said it was still lymphedema. I saw a PT who taught me how to gently massage the swelling. It has subsided. Keep watching it and follow up with you medical team.

Sue

I have more swelling when I
    I have more swelling when I eat salty foods. i think some of it is my neuropathy as my feet feel the same way too.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    TawnyS said:

Hi Jan! I have severe
    Hi Jan! I have severe issues with lymphedema. I did have all nodes removed from right. I am currently seeing a therapist everyday for the swelling (they call it congestion) and it really settles in my hand and fingers. From what she tells me whether you have one or two nodes removed or all you are at risk for lymphedema. The more node removal of course the higher risk. Anyway, I would suggest asking your oncologist or breast surgeon if there are any lymphedema therapists in your area you can consult with. Maybe be measured for a sleeve or just a glove or guantlet. There are also specific massage techniques for lymphedema. I have heard so many people say their doc just brushes the swelling off because they may not want to deal with it or don't have the resources in the area. Be proactive if in fact you may think you have the onset of lymphedema. Hope this helps! Tawny

I didn't have this, but, it
    I didn't have this, but, it could be lymphedema. Talk to your oncologist about it.
  • JanInMN
    TawnyS said:

Hi Jan! I have severe

Thanks, I will talk to my
    Thanks, I will talk to my oncologist next week when i go in. The swelling has subsided a lot from yesterday, but that one finger is stubborn! :-)
  • JanInMN
    sbmly53 said:

Jan,

Sue

Sue, can you tell me about
    Sue, can you tell me about how they tought you to massage the finger, or is it something I should be shown by a PT?
    Thanks! Jan
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    JanInMN said:

Sue, can you tell me about
    Sue, can you tell me about how they tought you to massage the finger, or is it something I should be shown by a PT?
    Thanks! Jan

You probably should see a PT
    You probably should see a PT to show you what to do to help you. Good luck!
  • rm22111
    rm22111 Member Posts: 54
    swelling
    My oncologist said that taxotere can cause swelling. Hopefully that is it and when you are no longer on taxotere it will go away.

rm22111
  • JanInMN
    Angie2U said:

You probably should see a PT
    You probably should see a PT to show you what to do to help you. Good luck!

Thanks! :-)

Thanks! :-)
  • JanInMN
    rm22111 said:

swelling
    My oncologist said that taxotere can cause swelling. Hopefully that is it and when you are no longer on taxotere it will go away.

rm22111

I was doing a little
    I was doing a little research this morning on the ACS site, and they said the same thing! So glad to know, although I will keep a very close eye on it, and will probably see a PT just in case. Not sure why my Oncologist's nurse said it was "weird" to have the swelling. Thanks! :-)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    JanInMN said:

I was doing a little
    I was doing a little research this morning on the ACS site, and they said the same thing! So glad to know, although I will keep a very close eye on it, and will probably see a PT just in case. Not sure why my Oncologist's nurse said it was "weird" to have the swelling. Thanks! :-)

I don't think it is weird.
    I don't think it is weird. It seems several have this. Seeing a PT would be a good idea I think. Good luck Jan!