First PSA after RP .3

Kem4
Kem4 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
My husband who is 47 had RP on December 15th, his first PSA followup shows a level of .3 and the Dr is recomending he have Radiation treatments. Has not met with Radiation oncologist yet. Was a bit of a shock to us since the pathology of the prostate showed clear margins but he did have gleason score 9 cancer show in both lobes of the prostate.

Comments

• randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    Kem4
    Sorry to hear that news. I had a pre-surgery PSA of 3+3=6 then a post of 3+4=7 with cancer in both lobes which was only detected in right side from the biospy. I had no positive margins and first PSA of non-detectable, >0.1, but am holding my breath for my next test at the end of May. Is it possible that the test was done too soon after surgery and still had some antigen trying to clear out of the body hence the reading? I would wait certainly for the next test in three months to see where it lands before even making radiation consults - that's just me though. If the test was done 6 weeks or later however from the surgery date there should not be any left in the body according to what I read and have been told. In that case you might want to seek some appointments. several on here have had some experience with radiation and will share their experiences I'm sure if they see this.
    Best wishes for a plan to erradicate the beast and become clear!

Randy in Indy
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
    Sorry to hear the news. Any
    Sorry to hear the news. Any of us with negative or positive margins can have this Beast come back and then best case the radiation knocks it out for good…This cancer is like no other…ours can always come back…so eat well and enjoy each day..

Best to all in this journey
  • Kem4

Kem4
    Sorry to hear that news. I had a pre-surgery PSA of 3+3=6 then a post of 3+4=7 with cancer in both lobes which was only detected in right side from the biospy. I had no positive margins and first PSA of non-detectable, >0.1, but am holding my breath for my next test at the end of May. Is it possible that the test was done too soon after surgery and still had some antigen trying to clear out of the body hence the reading? I would wait certainly for the next test in three months to see where it lands before even making radiation consults - that's just me though. If the test was done 6 weeks or later however from the surgery date there should not be any left in the body according to what I read and have been told. In that case you might want to seek some appointments. several on here have had some experience with radiation and will share their experiences I'm sure if they see this.
    Best wishes for a plan to erradicate the beast and become clear!

Randy in Indy

Randy
    It has been about 15

Randy

It has been about 15 weeks between surgery and PSA test so plenty of time for antigen to clear out. Hubby asked that of the Dr too. So we will be pushing on and with God as our guide I know this beast will be beaten.
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    Kem4 said:

Randy
    It has been about 15

Randy

It has been about 15 weeks between surgery and PSA test so plenty of time for antigen to clear out. Hubby asked that of the Dr too. So we will be pushing on and with God as our guide I know this beast will be beaten.

Sounds like radiation is a
    Sounds like radiation is a good course to follow. When I got to Loma Linda the oncologist there didn't like my first PSA, either. It was only a bit lower than your guys. His concern was that cancer may had gotten into the lymph glands near the prostate and needed to be knocked out- but I also had positive margins. Your doctor is just playing safe and going for a cure. Like my doc told me, "this is not pallative, we are going for a cure." Sounded nice to me.

I also had a gleason of 9. I was also classed as a T4 because of the bladder neck invasion- not so good. At least your hubby's cancer was still contained- rare for a 9. You can give thanks to God for that.
  • RichardRS
    RichardRS Member Posts: 44
    PSA after prostatectomy
    Suggestion: See a Urological Oncologist before seeing the Radiation Oncologist. My experience was the radiation guys are quite aggressive. For 15 months after surgery I had no detectable PSA. Then my PSA went from 0.3 to 0.64 in one year with the increases accelerating. That means that there is CA present. In the end I selected radiation but I had to wade through all types of treatment options including hormone treatment. The Urological Oncologist does not have a treatment he is selling, so he can help you make better decisions. Good luck.
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
    RichardRS said:

PSA after prostatectomy
    Suggestion: See a Urological Oncologist before seeing the Radiation Oncologist. My experience was the radiation guys are quite aggressive. For 15 months after surgery I had no detectable PSA. Then my PSA went from 0.3 to 0.64 in one year with the increases accelerating. That means that there is CA present. In the end I selected radiation but I had to wade through all types of treatment options including hormone treatment. The Urological Oncologist does not have a treatment he is selling, so he can help you make better decisions. Good luck.

Good advise… My primary
    Good advise… My primary Urologist is an Oncologist (and gives great advise and information) and you are right about the Radiation Oncologists the ones I saw at the beginning on my journey (pre surgery) are still calling to see about radiation post surgery...for "just because"…pretty sad for docs that are more concerned with buying the new boat or beach house (at least that I way I perceive it) than practicing the best medicine for you… And I am talking about a big group here in Atlanta is one of them (I hope I never need to but if I do I would never use them just for their marketing campaign…bad bad medicine)
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    bdhilton said:

Good advise… My primary
    Good advise… My primary Urologist is an Oncologist (and gives great advise and information) and you are right about the Radiation Oncologists the ones I saw at the beginning on my journey (pre surgery) are still calling to see about radiation post surgery...for "just because"…pretty sad for docs that are more concerned with buying the new boat or beach house (at least that I way I perceive it) than practicing the best medicine for you… And I am talking about a big group here in Atlanta is one of them (I hope I never need to but if I do I would never use them just for their marketing campaign…bad bad medicine)

This Site is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO INSIGHTFUL....
    Man just think how many people fall hook line and sinker into all the marketing traps...poor saps....I for one are so glad I have all you guys and Women!... posting and throwing out all the points to broaden my weak mind....and make me a stronger more informed consumer. Thanks be to CSN and all who post here!!!!!

Randy in indy
  • tdn123
    tdn123 Member Posts: 3
    post surgery PSA
    Kern4,

My condition is similar to yours:

My Prostate cancer history:
    Pre-biopsy PSA = 14 ng/ml
    Biopsy gleason score = 9
    Radical prostatectomy August 09
    First PSA after surgery = 0.1 (3 mo after surgery)
    2nd PSA after surgery = 0.2 (PSA doubling in 3 months, not good !!)

I consulted with 2 radiation oncologists but have not made any decision yet.

The first one (he has IMRT machine) said : "we don't know where your cancer cells are, so we'll radiate your prostate bed & lymph nodes". Chance of success =50%"

The second one (he has the tomo machine) said: "... chance for success = 25%. You need to be treated with combined hormone & radiation". My thoughts: "hormone therapy does not work, it will only cause a temporary reduction of PSA, so having hormone therapy masks the true results of radiation therapy".

Another thought: Not knowing where the cancer cells are, and using radiation therapy is like using a missile to kill an entire village, not knowing where the terrorist is.

My observation: The Drs don't know what they are doing, but I don't blame them. Cancer is still too complex for the medical profession !!

My only hope: I start going to church and ask for God's help, for the minister & congregation prayers.

I am taking Ip6 & inositol, the special formula from Dr. Samshuddin. Don't know the results yet. Google IP6 cell forte
  • Kem4
    RichardRS said:

PSA after prostatectomy

thanks for the suggestion,
    thanks for the suggestion, the original Dr is an oncologist and is the one who performed the surgery. He is recommending Radiation, hormone treatment was discussed but Dr siad that with my husbands age and health he wants to treat it more agressively. Still do not have appt with Radiologist Oncologist they are checking with insurance to see if this is covered. Necessary step but just adds more time to the waiting.
    could your cancer be detected on scans before you did the radiation treatments? Just wondering since Dr said it may not show up on a scan. Although yours was a greater number.
    thanks
  • Kem4
    Trew said:

Sounds like radiation is a
    Sounds like radiation is a good course to follow. When I got to Loma Linda the oncologist there didn't like my first PSA, either. It was only a bit lower than your guys. His concern was that cancer may had gotten into the lymph glands near the prostate and needed to be knocked out- but I also had positive margins. Your doctor is just playing safe and going for a cure. Like my doc told me, "this is not pallative, we are going for a cure." Sounded nice to me.

I also had a gleason of 9. I was also classed as a T4 because of the bladder neck invasion- not so good. At least your hubby's cancer was still contained- rare for a 9. You can give thanks to God for that.

We give all the glory to God
    We give all the glory to God for his cancer being caught so early. He only had physical because he is a scout leader and the Dr did PSA every other year when he did other blood tests, since he was 40. This last summer when he did the pre-camp physical the PSA was 8.25 had always been .8 before that could not be felt but first biopsy showed gleason 6 cancer on one side, went for second opinion and were discussing active surveillance, new Dr wanted to do another biopsy before my husband went on active surveillance, second biopsy showed gleason score 9 cancer on one side, same side as before. So had RP in late December and pathology showed gleason 9 on both side of the prostate. So all has been by the grace of God that this was found and God will be there till he is healed.
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    tdn123 said:

post surgery PSA
    Kern4,

My condition is similar to yours:

My Prostate cancer history:
    Pre-biopsy PSA = 14 ng/ml
    Biopsy gleason score = 9
    Radical prostatectomy August 09
    First PSA after surgery = 0.1 (3 mo after surgery)
    2nd PSA after surgery = 0.2 (PSA doubling in 3 months, not good !!)

I consulted with 2 radiation oncologists but have not made any decision yet.

The first one (he has IMRT machine) said : "we don't know where your cancer cells are, so we'll radiate your prostate bed & lymph nodes". Chance of success =50%"

The second one (he has the tomo machine) said: "... chance for success = 25%. You need to be treated with combined hormone & radiation". My thoughts: "hormone therapy does not work, it will only cause a temporary reduction of PSA, so having hormone therapy masks the true results of radiation therapy".

Another thought: Not knowing where the cancer cells are, and using radiation therapy is like using a missile to kill an entire village, not knowing where the terrorist is.

My observation: The Drs don't know what they are doing, but I don't blame them. Cancer is still too complex for the medical profession !!

My only hope: I start going to church and ask for God's help, for the minister & congregation prayers.

I am taking Ip6 & inositol, the special formula from Dr. Samshuddin. Don't know the results yet. Google IP6 cell forte

Seems to me doctors don't
    Seems to me doctors don't know everything, but they do know some things. They know how cancer spreads out and therefore are targeting the neighborhood of the prostate. Pretty standard from what I know.

You heard the story of the man stranded on his roof duing a flood and he prayed to God for help. Soon a boat came by to rescue him, but the man declined the offered help saying he was waiting for God to help him.

Doctor's may be doing some of God's work these days.

Hormone treatment certainly does have its drawbacks- I am hot flashing right now as I type. I will soon be sweating. But the numbers indicate hormone treatment does have some benefit over just watching.

I think I am in the 50% group. Sounds better.

I wish you well in the fullest meaning of the word well.