MD ANDERSON IN TEXAS, ANYONE?

mopar
mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Not an OVCA post, but our neighbor has a rare blood disease called mylofibrosis. His wife is taking him to MD Anderson in Texas on Monday, which I understand is a top-notch cancer center. They are doing a study there for mylofibrosis. Anyone familiar with this hospital?

Thanks for your input.

Monika

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    I live between Dallas and Ft
    I live between Dallas and Ft Worth. My Gyn/Oncologist was trained at MD Anderson and MDA is my Plan B, if I have a recurrence. I am also looking into clinical trials there. It is the most respected cancer center in the Southwest US and one of the most respected in the entire world.

Carlene
  • mopar

I live between Dallas and Ft
    I live between Dallas and Ft Worth. My Gyn/Oncologist was trained at MD Anderson and MDA is my Plan B, if I have a recurrence. I am also looking into clinical trials there. It is the most respected cancer center in the Southwest US and one of the most respected in the entire world.

Carlene

HOPEFUL!
    Thank you both for your encouraging reports on MD Anderson. We live in Michigan, so it is quite a trip for my neighbors, although they will be flying. We are praying that the doctors there will know what to do. He has been receiving treatment here since Christmas, and I don't think the medical staff here is too knowledgeable about this disease. Sure wish someone would have thought of this sooner. It will be a huge financial outlay for them, as insurance is not covering everything. Just walking in the door will cost them $28,000. Of course, my neighbor is more than willing to use up their retirement savings to do whatever she can for her husband. I would do the same. By the way, he has been working for the government for 32 years. So much for great insurance.

Thank you again for your responses!

Hugs and prayers to you both!

Monika
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Hi Monika,
    Yes, I have many

Hi Monika,

Yes, I have many friends, family and associates who have or are currently at the MD Anderson Cancer facility. Yes they are cutting edge and top-notch. I meet a lot of people and I have yet to hear anything negative about them.

My circumstances took me in a different direction (TX Oncology- I love them), however; had it not, I would have looked in MD Anderson as my next choice.

I think your friend will be in good hands.

Sharon
  • RandiK
    RandiK Member Posts: 31

Hi Monika,
    Yes, I have many

Hi Monika,

Yes, I have many friends, family and associates who have or are currently at the MD Anderson Cancer facility. Yes they are cutting edge and top-notch. I meet a lot of people and I have yet to hear anything negative about them.

My circumstances took me in a different direction (TX Oncology- I love them), however; had it not, I would have looked in MD Anderson as my next choice.

I think your friend will be in good hands.

Sharon

MD Anderson
    Hey Monika, my Mom started having serious problems back in January of this year. She was transfered through 3 different emergency rooms before ending up in Dallas. Parkland, in Dallas, sent her home. My Mom doesn't have insurance so this was one of the main reasons she couldn't get care. A week after leaving Dallas and many phone calls later we talked to the social workers at MD Anderson. They started paperwork on my Mom and she was told she had to have 15,000 upfront. Well, we weren't really sure how to handle this, but my Mom was still having problems breathing and hurting pretty bad so my Dad finally loaded her up and made the 4hr drive to Houston. As one of the social workers there had already told my Mom, hint hint, "no emergency room in the state of Texas can turn a patient away" so at 4AM my Mom went into the ER at MD Anderson. From there they found out that her breathing problems were blood clots in her lungs, that 3 other hosp overlooked. They immediatley got her on meds for this. She was set up with Dr Bodurka and had an apt scheduled for the next week. When Mom walked in the door still not knowing how she was gonna pay for an estimated $98,000 surgery the social worker was there to meet her. Once they got to discussing just everyday life with my Mom the sw realized that my 19yr old brother still lived at home and was in college. Thank God for small talk, they figured out that Mom qualified for 100% free care on some plan they have and from there on there has been no looking back. This hosp treats not only my Mom great but the whole family. They make sure that you are aware of what is going on every step of the way. People have told my Mom that she could prob arrange to have her chemo done a little closer to home instead of 4hrs away, but she is quick to tell them that she wouldn't go anywhere else. By the way when Mom finally had her surgery she was told that she had stage 3 ovarian cancer and as of her last MD apt she was told that as far as the Dr was concerned there is no cancer left in her body and her chemo is for precaution only. I will say this hosp is like a whole other world in itself. They have everything down and it runs so smoothly.
  • mopar
    RandiK said:

MD Anderson
    Hey Monika, my Mom started having serious problems back in January of this year. She was transfered through 3 different emergency rooms before ending up in Dallas. Parkland, in Dallas, sent her home. My Mom doesn't have insurance so this was one of the main reasons she couldn't get care. A week after leaving Dallas and many phone calls later we talked to the social workers at MD Anderson. They started paperwork on my Mom and she was told she had to have 15,000 upfront. Well, we weren't really sure how to handle this, but my Mom was still having problems breathing and hurting pretty bad so my Dad finally loaded her up and made the 4hr drive to Houston. As one of the social workers there had already told my Mom, hint hint, "no emergency room in the state of Texas can turn a patient away" so at 4AM my Mom went into the ER at MD Anderson. From there they found out that her breathing problems were blood clots in her lungs, that 3 other hosp overlooked. They immediatley got her on meds for this. She was set up with Dr Bodurka and had an apt scheduled for the next week. When Mom walked in the door still not knowing how she was gonna pay for an estimated $98,000 surgery the social worker was there to meet her. Once they got to discussing just everyday life with my Mom the sw realized that my 19yr old brother still lived at home and was in college. Thank God for small talk, they figured out that Mom qualified for 100% free care on some plan they have and from there on there has been no looking back. This hosp treats not only my Mom great but the whole family. They make sure that you are aware of what is going on every step of the way. People have told my Mom that she could prob arrange to have her chemo done a little closer to home instead of 4hrs away, but she is quick to tell them that she wouldn't go anywhere else. By the way when Mom finally had her surgery she was told that she had stage 3 ovarian cancer and as of her last MD apt she was told that as far as the Dr was concerned there is no cancer left in her body and her chemo is for precaution only. I will say this hosp is like a whole other world in itself. They have everything down and it runs so smoothly.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Wow! What an experience! Thank you very much for sharing your mom's journey (and yours!) with me. That is so encouraging. Sounds like the best of the best when it comes to care. Let's hope that the new 'health plan' does not have any impact on this wonderful hospital.

We are still praying and holding hope that they can do something for our neighbor. Now, I'm more encouraged than ever.

Have a wonderful day! And Blessings to your Mom, and you for continued health and NED (No Evidence of Disease!).

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • RandiK
    RandiK Member Posts: 31
    mopar said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Wow! What an experience! Thank you very much for sharing your mom's journey (and yours!) with me. That is so encouraging. Sounds like the best of the best when it comes to care. Let's hope that the new 'health plan' does not have any impact on this wonderful hospital.

We are still praying and holding hope that they can do something for our neighbor. Now, I'm more encouraged than ever.

Have a wonderful day! And Blessings to your Mom, and you for continued health and NED (No Evidence of Disease!).

(((HUGS)))
    Monika

hey
    I just realized how long I got with that response and sorry I had to tell a 4 month journey there, but I guess to realize how great MD Anderson is you really have to know what she had already been through. I really encourage your friend to go down there. Please keep us up to date on what happens. I hope they can help your friend.