Queastion about Sentinal Node Biopsy

TulsaMomof3
TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having immediate reconstruction with the DIEP. The doctor said yesterday that if my nodes were positive and we found out at the same time as we were doing the DIEP - the radiation I would have to have later would harm the new tissue. SO she said I will have the Seninal Node Biospy this Friday and then on May 5th have the BLM (and the DIEP if the nodes are negative)

I have a banquet to go to Friday night. Does anyone know if I will feel up to that after having the Senitnal Node biopsy that morning?

Comments

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Hi Tulsa Mom
    I can only speak for myself, but I had my sentinel node biopsy done along with my lumpectomy. I was back home around oneish and feeling fine. Nothing hurt. And I could have gone to a banquet that night. Not wearing anything sleeveless, mind you, but I would have been fine. I did walk a couple of miles the day after surgery.

But as I read all these posts, I see that we're all different and have different reactions to things. So maybe see what the consensus is before deciding.

Best of luck to you
    Victoria
  • grandmasueb
    grandmasueb Member Posts: 49
    aisling8 said:

Hi Tulsa Mom
    I can only speak for myself, but I had my sentinel node biopsy done along with my lumpectomy. I was back home around oneish and feeling fine. Nothing hurt. And I could have gone to a banquet that night. Not wearing anything sleeveless, mind you, but I would have been fine. I did walk a couple of miles the day after surgery.

But as I read all these posts, I see that we're all different and have different reactions to things. So maybe see what the consensus is before deciding.

Best of luck to you
    Victoria

I had a sential node biopsy
    I had a sential node biopsy with lumpectomy and I would have been alright but I got sick from the anistesa they had giving me. I was vomoting and very nausious all night. I came home and went straight to bed. We all react differently. As far as the surgery goes I was ok with that.
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    aisling8 said:

Hi Tulsa Mom

Best of luck to you
    Victoria

Hi
    I'm assuming your from Oklahoma? I live in OKC and had my ssentinal node biopsy done 2 weeks prior to my double masectomy for the very same reasons your having it done (last July). You will be put under anisteasia so make sure they give you the pill to calm your tummy. It took about 1 hour and I was done. I felt fine. I thought I was going to be sick because i always was for other surgeries in the past. I was able to eat whatever I wanted. you will just have to decide when you come out of it and see how your body reacts...Oh they do have you come in early to inject a blue dye around the nipple area and it turns your boobie blue.. then you pee blue the next day...

Calleen
  • ReturntoCamelot
    ReturntoCamelot Member Posts: 11
    Sentinel Node
    I know for me they did the sentinel node and if found that cancer was there they would have to take out all the other nodes affected. If it was clear (which thank God it was) that was all they would have to do. For me the node operation was very painful and I could hardly move. I went straight to bed after it and was on pain pills for a few days. I had the "broken wing" syndrome for a while. It is different for everyone, and it depends on "where" your sentinel node actually is. They find that out with the blue dye. It is kinda cool to pee blue/green for a couple of days! lol
    Good Luck and hopefully you can go to the banquet and feel great!!!!

Jennifer
  • TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
    Calleen said:

Hi
    I'm assuming your from Oklahoma? I live in OKC and had my ssentinal node biopsy done 2 weeks prior to my double masectomy for the very same reasons your having it done (last July). You will be put under anisteasia so make sure they give you the pill to calm your tummy. It took about 1 hour and I was done. I felt fine. I thought I was going to be sick because i always was for other surgeries in the past. I was able to eat whatever I wanted. you will just have to decide when you come out of it and see how your body reacts...Oh they do have you come in early to inject a blue dye around the nipple area and it turns your boobie blue.. then you pee blue the next day...

Calleen

Calleen
    I am having it done at Saint Anthony's. Who did your flap? My doctor is Dr. Bajaj. I am driving from Tulsa so that I can have her do it. I noticed your nodes where negative, did you have Chemo?

Did the SNL hurt when they gave you the injection? Did they give you any numbing agent?

(they have now put me off till next Friday the 3oth and then the BLM with DIEP is the next week)
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411

Sentinel Node
    I know for me they did the sentinel node and if found that cancer was there they would have to take out all the other nodes affected. If it was clear (which thank God it was) that was all they would have to do. For me the node operation was very painful and I could hardly move. I went straight to bed after it and was on pain pills for a few days. I had the "broken wing" syndrome for a while. It is different for everyone, and it depends on "where" your sentinel node actually is. They find that out with the blue dye. It is kinda cool to pee blue/green for a couple of days! lol
    Good Luck and hopefully you can go to the banquet and feel great!!!!

Jennifer

Me too
    Dr Bajaj did my reconstruction!! Your in excellent hands!! I love her to pieces!! and her staff is very very good!! I had mine done at St. Anthonys also. I'll send you my personal contact info so you can call me to talk about anything.

Calleen
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    I didn't have as much pain
    I didn't have as much pain from the biopsy, but was sick as a dog for about 24 hrs from the anesthesia! My 2 cents...better not to plan on the banquet...

Good luck w/your biopsy. Blessings...
    Julie
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Calleen
    I am having it done at Saint Anthony's. Who did your flap? My doctor is Dr. Bajaj. I am driving from Tulsa so that I can have her do it. I noticed your nodes where negative, did you have Chemo?

Did the SNL hurt when they gave you the injection? Did they give you any numbing agent?

(they have now put me off till next Friday the 3oth and then the BLM with DIEP is the next week)

TulsaMom
    My hospital put a numbing cream on my nipples as soon as I got to the hospital (I thought they were nuts!), a couple of hours before the dye injection, and I barely felt anything, just tiny pricks. Definitely ask your surgeon ahead of time if this will be done, and, if it's not standard -- INSIST on it. You'll get 4 injections around each nipple -- very, very tiny needles, but still, 8 injections in a sensitive area!

I never peed blue -- you all told me I would, but I didn't and I was so disappointed. :-( And then those of you who got A/C got to pee red, and I didn't....I feel so left out of the Colorful Pee Club.

:-) Traci