Post Surgery, Foods and Leaking

Trew
Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
RRMCJIM mentioned in a posting that certain foods- he mentioned pizza, caffine, OJ, and a few others- seem to affact his bladder and may be connected to leaking. I was wondering what foos, if any, you can conect to leaking? Are we doomed to eating dry creakers and water?

Anyway, I am looking for a discussion on foods that may help or hurt the leakage problem.

Comments

• RRMCJIM
    RRMCJIM Member Posts: 149
    My Dr gave me a list of
    My Dr gave me a list of things that effect the bladder: Chocolate, tomato products, citrus fruit and juices, caffine, sodas, alcohol, and cranberry juice...I know OJ will cause me problems, as does pizza n pasta...I have very good control otherwise, but when I have some of these items, I leak and need a pad...but as stated b4.....we still need to live our lives....I watch my diet for the most part, more fruits and veggies, less red meats... but now and again do love a good steak... my Dr said he wants me to do what is normal for me, even gave me the OK to have an occasional cigar,,,lol
  • Trew
    RRMCJIM said:

My Dr gave me a list of
    My Dr gave me a list of things that effect the bladder: Chocolate, tomato products, citrus fruit and juices, caffine, sodas, alcohol, and cranberry juice...I know OJ will cause me problems, as does pizza n pasta...I have very good control otherwise, but when I have some of these items, I leak and need a pad...but as stated b4.....we still need to live our lives....I watch my diet for the most part, more fruits and veggies, less red meats... but now and again do love a good steak... my Dr said he wants me to do what is normal for me, even gave me the OK to have an occasional cigar,,,lol

I can't remember a word I
    I can't remember a word I heard from my doc's PA- remember- in the office I went to I never saw my doc again after the cath was pulled 7 days after surgery. But the PA said not a word about diet that I can remember.

At Loma Linda I met Stella- mentioned by Robert Marcknini in his book on proton treatment- and Stella gave me a long list of foods that would help make rad easier. But nothing from my doc's office. Very strange.
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
    Trew...cannot help
    Trew...cannot help here...Nothing has effected me yet from diet cokes-tomatoes products like Marina sauce that I eat at least 7 times a week…Have you seen my recent posting of common leakage issues? Best to all
  • mrspjd
    mrspjd Member Posts: 694 Member
    Trew said:

I can't remember a word I
    I can't remember a word I heard from my doc's PA- remember- in the office I went to I never saw my doc again after the cath was pulled 7 days after surgery. But the PA said not a word about diet that I can remember.

At Loma Linda I met Stella- mentioned by Robert Marcknini in his book on proton treatment- and Stella gave me a long list of foods that would help make rad easier. But nothing from my doc's office. Very strange.

foods to help make rad easier
    Trew,

Wondering if you might be able to post/share the list or partial list of foods to help make Radiation (RT) easier that you said was given to you at LL. Think I read that you had a RP last year and recently had Proton & Rad Therapy (combination?) at LL. Am interested in learning more about your experience at LL, whether you were happy with the doctor, techs, etc. as pjd is considering RT as a first line treatment. Hope things are improving for you.

Thanks,
    mrs pjd
  • Trew
    mrspjd said:

foods to help make rad easier
    Trew,

Wondering if you might be able to post/share the list or partial list of foods to help make Radiation (RT) easier that you said was given to you at LL. Think I read that you had a RP last year and recently had Proton & Rad Therapy (combination?) at LL. Am interested in learning more about your experience at LL, whether you were happy with the doctor, techs, etc. as pjd is considering RT as a first line treatment. Hope things are improving for you.

Thanks,
    mrs pjd

Lost Diet
    I am looking for the sheet I got from Stella listing the foods to eat and not eat. I may not have it any more. Basicly I was to stay away from anything that might case gas. Cabbage and brocoli were out. I could eat a baked potato, but not the skin. She wanted me to avoid acidic foods like citrus, and high fiber foods. I was not to eat old fashion oat meal, cheerios were ok. Charcol tabs for gas were ok, too, and so was imodium. But remember, this was for intestinal distress. We never discussed how foods impacted continency.

As far as the staff goes, very professional, very understanding. They did their best to minimize any embrassment to me. I was very satisfied with that part of my treattment. Dr Rossi, my attending Doc was top notch. There is a feeling of good will there and it is comforting to be a part of that atmosphere. About all I can say about LLU.

I will keep looking for the lost diet. I might not have it any more. The Eligard effect- loose memory syndrome, etc.
  • Trew
    bdhilton said:

Trew...cannot help
    Trew...cannot help here...Nothing has effected me yet from diet cokes-tomatoes products like Marina sauce that I eat at least 7 times a week…Have you seen my recent posting of common leakage issues? Best to all

I think that is typical. We
    I think that is typical. We all have our variations to treatment.

I am a red head by birth and burn in the sun while another gets a nice tan. So it goes.

Sonwflakes we are, everyone.