First chemo treatment on Friday

grandmasueb
grandmasueb Member Posts: 49
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi I have stage 2 breast cancer with negitive nodes. I had a needle biopsy which the margins did not come back clear so I had masectomy on march 9 2010 and had port put in april 9. The visit with onc said they got clear margin and the node that was positive but since my cancer was agressive they still have to do chemo,after my bone scan, abdominal scan came back that I had thicking in the lining of the uterus, so had biopsy of the uterus and that came back clear.Now my first chemo starts friday. I am excited to get this started and behind me but at the same time I am scared to death of how the treatment is going to react to me. I know everyone reacts differently to treatment. I am getting TAC and have decided to do a clincal trial. I guess I havent faced the truth about the way the treatment is going to affect to me. THe worse thought is losing my hair but i am trying to come to terms with that. I hope I can work full time at my job as well as chemo. I was wondering if anyone is having any of these thoughts about being strong but scared to death at the same time.

Comments

• rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    You can do it
    I so understand your fears and concerns. I was diagnosed in November 2009, had lumpectomy December, started chemo January 8th and tomorrow I go for my "last Chemo" treatment. I was diagnosed with stage 1 Ductal Invasive Er+ and PR+ Her2+. I am on Carbopltain, Taxotere and herceptin. I have been able to work full time through Chemo. I take off the day of chemo which is on Tuesdays and my down day is Friday and I am back to work on Monday. Chemo is not fun, but very doable. This site has so many wonderful, supportive women and men that will be there for you. To comfort you when you are feeling down, scared, angry or when you want to celebrate a victory. Wish you didn't have looked for this site, but it is a wonderful support group. I wish you the very best. Hang in there!

God bless
    Becky
  • chrisorpinel
    chrisorpinel Member Posts: 8
    rrogers34 said:

You can do it
    I so understand your fears and concerns. I was diagnosed in November 2009, had lumpectomy December, started chemo January 8th and tomorrow I go for my "last Chemo" treatment. I was diagnosed with stage 1 Ductal Invasive Er+ and PR+ Her2+. I am on Carbopltain, Taxotere and herceptin. I have been able to work full time through Chemo. I take off the day of chemo which is on Tuesdays and my down day is Friday and I am back to work on Monday. Chemo is not fun, but very doable. This site has so many wonderful, supportive women and men that will be there for you. To comfort you when you are feeling down, scared, angry or when you want to celebrate a victory. Wish you didn't have looked for this site, but it is a wonderful support group. I wish you the very best. Hang in there!

God bless
    Becky

On your way
    i remember when i had my first treatment.. i was excited and scared at the same time. i had my treatments on thursdays. the doctors told me that i should be okay to return back to work on that friday. the first time i did and i was so tired and fatigued that i don't know how i made it thru the day.. i ended up taking the thrusday 1/2 day and then going back to work on the following monday. as i had more and more chemos i was starting to go back to work by tuesday and then wednesday. i only have 6 chemo treatments. i was never sick.. thank goodness just very tired. but like we all say, chemo affects us all differently.. good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Good Luck and God Bless

Christine
  • joan_doyle
    joan_doyle Member Posts: 29
    Chemo
    I have infammatory BC also had a port place and when finished treatment then get a masectomy so you can advise me when i reach that stage - my Chemo is 4 Cylcs of A/C have 2 down like the other girls i just find it very tiring i could sleep for the world and the anti sickness tablets are great helping you to eat ect., to be honest i noticed during the 1st session i was scared about being sick and losing the hair and i think the fear of this made me so causious that i ate very little and mentally created that food smell would bother me (to further explain this my husband went thro' this chemo (brain turmour) 5yrs earlier with no anti sickness tablets hence the knowledge) This time I sailed thro' with food and the cooking smells just sleepie - the hair loss is another thing yes tears we all love are manes - what I if felt was missing the weight of the hair and the coldness - going to bed resting on the pillow and saying i forgot to dry my hair but i have very little left now had shoulder lenght and very curly - but you will get thro' this you have done the hardest part so far and keep the mind free from negative thoughts i find this a great comfort try deep breathing excerises and release the fears - really important just take on session at a time - I am not even thinking of the next chemo T/H after this as these will be new drugs and a new game? hang in there thoughts and prayers with you Cheers Joan ps sleepie forgive spelling mistakes
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    BEING SCARED...........
    What you are feeling is perfectly NORMAL..........I think we're all scared senseless when going for our first chemo.........we don't know what to expect and excited at the same time, strange as that sounds......I wanted to get on with my life. I finished my chemo last August......I actually was prescribed a Valium to take the morning of my first infusion....took the edge off but I was still beside myself......and I have to say.......it wasn't anything like I thought it would be...took longer than I thought, about 3 1/2 hours.....but I did just fine. I followed my oncologist's advice to the letter.....I ate a bagel with peanut butter before I went....I was told you don't want chemo on an empty stomach......my cancer center actually fed us lunch.....Take any and all of your anti nausea drugs as prescribed......I started mine along with a steroid the day before each infusion and continued for 5 days.....It's easier to prevent nausea than control it once it starts.....I was never sick one time, not the first wave of nausea....some aren't as fortunate......The effects of chemo are cumulative.....other than losing my taste buds for almost a week (each time) I felt okay after the first one.....but as time progressed, I started feeling very sluggish and tired......and the steroids can interfer with sleep......I had a really hard time with sleeping. I took on chemo and radiation as "my job."......I looked at everyone as a step closer to regaining good health and my life...

Try to eat small meals........take all your prescribed meds as prescribed.....have some Immodium, extra strenth on hand, just in case.....I only needed it after the first infusion. Gatorade is good to have on hand..DRINK DRINK DRINK....but nothing alcoholic..I also needed pain meds for the effects of the Nuelasta injection...Take really good care of your nails and fingernails....but NO professional manicures or pedicures, you don't want any type of infection..stay away from sick people! I really avoided crowds like the plague! Try as much as possible to rest...sometimes easier said than done..... For once in your life, BE SELFISH! Hard for women to do, but be kind to yourself, accept any offers of help.....

Yes, it's traumatic to lose your hair........I had mine buzzed almost to the scalp BEFORE it started coming out, which happens about 10-14 days after your first infusion...I wore a wig when out in public, but soft little caps when at home......your head will be tender when it starts to fall out....mine was actually sore.....IT took about 4 months after my last chemo before I had enough hair to go wigless.....NOW it's about 3 1/2 inches long and I love it! It came back in, Shirley Temple ringlets! I did NOT have curly hair before.....easiest hair do I have ever had.....Yes, chemo is terrifying.......but manageable......

I wish you the very best and if I can help in any way, I'd be glad to.....this site is full of wonderful "sisters" who can answer almost any question....we're all traveling this journey together.....some just beginning, some in treatment, some finished.....But I am here to tell you there is a wonderful life after breast cancer! The sun WILL shine again.....

Peace be with you!
  • grandmasueb
    MAJW said:

BEING SCARED...........
    What you are feeling is perfectly NORMAL..........I think we're all scared senseless when going for our first chemo.........we don't know what to expect and excited at the same time, strange as that sounds......I wanted to get on with my life. I finished my chemo last August......I actually was prescribed a Valium to take the morning of my first infusion....took the edge off but I was still beside myself......and I have to say.......it wasn't anything like I thought it would be...took longer than I thought, about 3 1/2 hours.....but I did just fine. I followed my oncologist's advice to the letter.....I ate a bagel with peanut butter before I went....I was told you don't want chemo on an empty stomach......my cancer center actually fed us lunch.....Take any and all of your anti nausea drugs as prescribed......I started mine along with a steroid the day before each infusion and continued for 5 days.....It's easier to prevent nausea than control it once it starts.....I was never sick one time, not the first wave of nausea....some aren't as fortunate......The effects of chemo are cumulative.....other than losing my taste buds for almost a week (each time) I felt okay after the first one.....but as time progressed, I started feeling very sluggish and tired......and the steroids can interfer with sleep......I had a really hard time with sleeping. I took on chemo and radiation as "my job."......I looked at everyone as a step closer to regaining good health and my life...

Try to eat small meals........take all your prescribed meds as prescribed.....have some Immodium, extra strenth on hand, just in case.....I only needed it after the first infusion. Gatorade is good to have on hand..DRINK DRINK DRINK....but nothing alcoholic..I also needed pain meds for the effects of the Nuelasta injection...Take really good care of your nails and fingernails....but NO professional manicures or pedicures, you don't want any type of infection..stay away from sick people! I really avoided crowds like the plague! Try as much as possible to rest...sometimes easier said than done..... For once in your life, BE SELFISH! Hard for women to do, but be kind to yourself, accept any offers of help.....

Yes, it's traumatic to lose your hair........I had mine buzzed almost to the scalp BEFORE it started coming out, which happens about 10-14 days after your first infusion...I wore a wig when out in public, but soft little caps when at home......your head will be tender when it starts to fall out....mine was actually sore.....IT took about 4 months after my last chemo before I had enough hair to go wigless.....NOW it's about 3 1/2 inches long and I love it! It came back in, Shirley Temple ringlets! I did NOT have curly hair before.....easiest hair do I have ever had.....Yes, chemo is terrifying.......but manageable......

I wish you the very best and if I can help in any way, I'd be glad to.....this site is full of wonderful "sisters" who can answer almost any question....we're all traveling this journey together.....some just beginning, some in treatment, some finished.....But I am here to tell you there is a wonderful life after breast cancer! The sun WILL shine again.....

Peace be with you!

Thank you all so very much.
    Thank you all so very much. I am counting on the day when I can say this is my last treatment.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

On your way
    i remember when i had my first treatment.. i was excited and scared at the same time. i had my treatments on thursdays. the doctors told me that i should be okay to return back to work on that friday. the first time i did and i was so tired and fatigued that i don't know how i made it thru the day.. i ended up taking the thrusday 1/2 day and then going back to work on the following monday. as i had more and more chemos i was starting to go back to work by tuesday and then wednesday. i only have 6 chemo treatments. i was never sick.. thank goodness just very tired. but like we all say, chemo affects us all differently.. good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Good Luck and God Bless

Christine

Good luck to you with your
    Good luck to you with your first chemo. They say the 1st one is the worst. Drink lots of water!

Leeza
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Thank you all so very much.
    Thank you all so very much. I am counting on the day when I can say this is my last treatment.

Hope today went well for
    Hope today went well for you! Soon, you will be a chemo grad!

Sue :)
  • grandmasueb
    Ritzy said:

Hope today went well for
    Hope today went well for you! Soon, you will be a chemo grad!

Sue :)

Thank you for the responce,
    Thank you for the responce, I haf chemo today it went well up to 2 hours afterwards and I got a real bad headache,nausea, throwing up no appitite,and heart burn. I took zopran but not helping. I hope tomorrow will be better.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Thank you for the responce,
    Thank you for the responce, I haf chemo today it went well up to 2 hours afterwards and I got a real bad headache,nausea, throwing up no appitite,and heart burn. I took zopran but not helping. I hope tomorrow will be better.

Be sure and let your
    Be sure and let your oncologist know what happened. There are so many medications that he can give you to help you with the nausea. Hope the rest goes easier for you!

Hugs, Leeza
  • dianebraun
    dianebraun Member Posts: 51
    I feel the same exact way.
    I feel the same exact way. My chemo starts next week, Thursday, Taxotere/Cytoxen. I'm anxious to start, dread losing my hair, and I can't wait for it to be over! I just cut my hair very short to make the bald transition easier. I surprisingly got a lot of compliments on the new style. Best of luck to you!
  • dianebraun
    dianebraun Member Posts: 51
    MAJW said:

BEING SCARED...........

Peace be with you!

majw- excellent advice! you
    majw- excellent advice! you sure made me feel a lot better, and it wasn't even directed to me. my chemo starts next week. thanks!