propyllactic mastectomy

jphilpo
jphilpo Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all,

I have finished all my treatments for stage 2 , invasive lobular cancer, left breast mastectomy, chemo & rads. I had the Oncotype DX test with a score of 31, which puts me in the range for recurrence at 21%. I am seriously considering having my right breast taken & will probably have a tram flap because of radiation. Has anyone had the same recurrence rate as me & had the prophyllactic mastectomy? So many decisions to make.. I am leaning toward having it done. I know I will worry all the time & don't know how I could go through it all again.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Hi
    As far as I understand the Oncotype test is related to the your original tumor and used to determine weather or not patient needs Chemotherapy.It has nothing to do with second breast. Ask your oncologist to explain your Oncotype score you. It is my understanding that if you would not have Chemo your recurrence in left breast could be 21%.

Good luck with your decision,
    New Flower
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Hi
    As far as I understand the Oncotype test is related to the your original tumor and used to determine weather or not patient needs Chemotherapy.It has nothing to do with second breast. Ask your oncologist to explain your Oncotype score you. It is my understanding that if you would not have Chemo your recurrence in left breast could be 21%.

Good luck with your decision,
    New Flower

I think if you had lobular
    I think if you had lobular there is ahigher chance of it coming back in the other breast. ask your onc.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    carkris said:

I think if you had lobular
    I think if you had lobular there is ahigher chance of it coming back in the other breast. ask your onc.

In 2000, I had invasive

In 2000, I had invasive lobular cancer, and in 2009 I then had DCIS, but it was in the same breast. Last year, I chose to have the bilateral mastectomy instead of just the one breast, partly because of a concern that the cancer would develop in the good breast, but also because I was having the tram/free flap reconstruction. Since they can only do this type of reconstruction once (they throw away any unused tissue), I wanted to have breasts that looked the same and not have to worry about how they might reconstruct the second breast, if I needed a second mastectomy. I did have the flap surgery where the tissue is cut out of the abdomen and the blood supply reconnected in my breast: it was not the type where they tunnel the tissue up to the breast.

Hope this helps.

Joyce
  • jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177
    jk1952 said:

In 2000, I had invasive

In 2000, I had invasive lobular cancer, and in 2009 I then had DCIS, but it was in the same breast. Last year, I chose to have the bilateral mastectomy instead of just the one breast, partly because of a concern that the cancer would develop in the good breast, but also because I was having the tram/free flap reconstruction. Since they can only do this type of reconstruction once (they throw away any unused tissue), I wanted to have breasts that looked the same and not have to worry about how they might reconstruct the second breast, if I needed a second mastectomy. I did have the flap surgery where the tissue is cut out of the abdomen and the blood supply reconnected in my breast: it was not the type where they tunnel the tissue up to the breast.

Hope this helps.

Joyce

tram flap
    Joyce, how was your recovery from the tramflap surgery? I think that is what I am afraid of most.
  • jk1952
    jphilpo said:

tram flap
    Joyce, how was your recovery from the tramflap surgery? I think that is what I am afraid of most.

It's a long recovery: I was

It's a long recovery: I was out of work for 8 weeks, but I could probably have gone back after 6 weeks. I started driving after 2-1/2 weeks, but I didn't take any narcotic pain medication after the second day post-surgery, so I started driving earlier than most people. You definitely want help with everyday chores and you'll need someone to take care of any small children. At the beginning, I couldn't walk to the end of our block without being out of breath. It is a long surgery, and being under the anesthesia takes its toll. After a couple weeks, I would feel good but then hit a wall when I had done too much. This happened most days, but everyday was a little better and I felt good a little longer.

I was fortunate that my husband works primarily out of our house, so he was here most of the time the first couple weeks. After that, I was fine to be alone for the day.

I wasn't in a lot of pain: Advil was my best friend and kept the pain at a manageable level. I did have a couple minor setbacks, but nothing serious.

Although the recovery was tough at times, it was really worth it. I was glad to wake up from the surgery and have breasts that had been made out of my own tissue. I don't need a prosthesis and can wear the same clothes I wore before surgery: there's nothing that I have to hide. Plus, I can go swimming without any extra effort. I hate wearing a bathing suit, because I'm quite a few pounds overweight, but we sail and swim quite a bit, so the freedom that the reconstruction gives is important to me.

You might want to post specifically related to the recovery from the surgery, if that is your major concern.

I wish you well in your decision.

Joyce
  • Grace_Refined
    Grace_Refined Member Posts: 9
    Tram Flap Reconstruction
    Hi,

I had a right breast mastectomy in 2007. Both my Mom and Sister had breast cancer, so I decided to have my left breast removed and free tram flap reconstruction done on both in January of this year.

I agree with everything that Joyce said below. I am very happy with the feel of the tram flap because it's my own tissue. I also had a couple of minor complications, nothing major. This surgery isn't for the faint of heart, it is indeed a long recovery, but very well worth it to me. I am not finished yet though. The right breast had a ton of scar tissue from a tissue expander that they had put in right after the mastectomy in '07. It
    became infected and had to be removed. Because of that, the right side is much smaller than the left side after reconstruction. They just didn't have much to work with. I am going in on May 3rd and they will lift the left breast and reduce the size a little bit, then lypo from my tummy area and put that fat in the right breast to make it a little bit bigger. Hopefully that will make my breasts the same size. Right now I'm still wearing a prosthetic on the right. I am really looking forward to being able to wear a bathing suit because we live near a lake and love to boat and swim.

Good luck!
    Karin
  • Grace_Refined
    Grace_Refined Member Posts: 9
    Forgot something!
    Hi,

I forgot to mention something kind of important. The skin that has been radiated will behave differently than skin that has not been radiated when you have the tram flap reconstruction. I experienced small spots that were slower to heal where the stitches that didn't dissolve were. The doctor didn't want to irritate it more by pulling them out and opted to let my body take care of them. In a few spots I got little open sores where the stitches were. They eventually close up and heal. Like I said, nothing major but something to keep in mind.
  • jk1952

Forgot something!
    Hi,

I forgot to mention something kind of important. The skin that has been radiated will behave differently than skin that has not been radiated when you have the tram flap reconstruction. I experienced small spots that were slower to heal where the stitches that didn't dissolve were. The doctor didn't want to irritate it more by pulling them out and opted to let my body take care of them. In a few spots I got little open sores where the stitches were. They eventually close up and heal. Like I said, nothing major but something to keep in mind.

I also had a second surgery

I also had a second surgery to reduce a breast to be equal to the other one. For me, that was a huge blessing, because for the first time in nine years, my breasts were the same size. There often is a second surgery necessary for touch ups, but it's nothing compared to the 'big' surgery.

Joyce