sick before surgery date

Options
JuJuBeez
JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am really nervous about what to expect during the surgery day. Wouldn't you know I woke up today with the worst sore throat I've had in 20 years, and now I have a fever too. Nine days away from surgery. Luckily, I went to the doctor last night because I felt like I have bronchitis starting. I started an antibiotic today. I don't know what I'll do if I have to put the surgery off. I think I will have a nervous breakdown if I have to wait any longer. Anyone else get sick BEFORE their surgery? Is it just from being worn-out and nervous? Or just my wonderful luck? (It's probably the SAME luck that I had when the radiologist said there was about a 25% chance the spot they biopsied was cancer. Hmm...)

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Stress will make you sick.
    Stress will make you sick. Try and take it one day at a time.
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    So sorry
    I'm so sorry you are sick at this important time. Of course, you must be well to get the surgery, as you will need all your strength to heal then. It is HARD to wait. I had seven weeks between diagnoses and surgery, and I thought I'd lose my mind. Hang in there and keep posting so others can help you through this.

Another woman posting here (calabria03?) had the same original chemo start date as me, then had to wait when her child became ill, because the docs thought she might get it, too. She wasn't happy, but eventually did get started on treatment.
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    stress
    Stress and lack of quality sleep set you up to get sick. So, it's surprising it doesn't happen to more of us. It sounds like you have plenty of time to get over it before your surgery. Thank goodness it didn't wait until a few days before your surgery. Do everything you are supposed to do (sleep, eat well, drink fluids, rest, take your antibiotics....)to get well. Try and relax and let your body heal, you've got time.

Hugs, El
  • JuJuBeez
    Options

stress
    Stress and lack of quality sleep set you up to get sick. So, it's surprising it doesn't happen to more of us. It sounds like you have plenty of time to get over it before your surgery. Thank goodness it didn't wait until a few days before your surgery. Do everything you are supposed to do (sleep, eat well, drink fluids, rest, take your antibiotics....)to get well. Try and relax and let your body heal, you've got time.

Hugs, El

I found out today I have
    I found out today I have pneumonia. I'm so disappointed! I can't imagine they will go ahead with the surgery on Monday. I will call in the morning to see what my options are.
  • Teppers
    Teppers Member Posts: 17
    Options
    JuJuBeez said:

I found out today I have
    I found out today I have pneumonia. I'm so disappointed! I can't imagine they will go ahead with the surgery on Monday. I will call in the morning to see what my options are.

Hang in there!
    I can imagine your disappointment! I'm praying and hoping you can get in as soon as possible. One of the hardest things in the world for me is having to wait for something like that. I'm thinking of you!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    yeah, I got sick a week

yeah, I got sick a week before surgery with a cold my daughter decided to share with the family. Not her fault but I was stressed because I didn't want to reschedule surgery. I got plenty of rest, drank plenty of fluids, took plenty of Vit. c and herbs. I was better the day before surgery and everything went as planned.

take care or yourself and rest. will be thinking of you.
  • JuJuBeez
    Options

yeah, I got sick a week

yeah, I got sick a week before surgery with a cold my daughter decided to share with the family. Not her fault but I was stressed because I didn't want to reschedule surgery. I got plenty of rest, drank plenty of fluids, took plenty of Vit. c and herbs. I was better the day before surgery and everything went as planned.

take care or yourself and rest. will be thinking of you.

Thanks, all
    I had to reschedule my sentinel node biopsy and lumpectomy for May 12. I was told I had to wait at least 2 weeks for my lungs to heal. I was pulled out of work until at least Wednesday next week, when I get another chest x-ray. This really sucks. I'm going to use my last 40 hours of sick time that was supposed to be for the lumpectomy on pneumonia. Luckily, I have vacation hours to use for the lumpectomy. I feel like the tumor is growing, and growing, and growing in the meantime. I know it's not really, but in my imagination it is. UGH!!!