SALINE OR SILICONE AFTER EXPANDERS ?

Options
scarlettg7
scarlettg7 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my bilateral mastectomy back in november 2009 & had tissue expanders put in. Over the last 5 months i've been getting fills & am now up to 600cc per my plastic surgion. I saw her 2 days ago to decide on a surgery date & what style/type implant to go with. Soon as her nurse took me back into the room her first comment was "the dr & I think we've found a good silicone implant that we think will suit you very well". They've been pushing me to go with silicone since most of her other pt's are. First off I thought I had the right to choose what type implant to go with. I was a size C/D cup before my cancer & my PS told me that I would be around a B cup no matter which type implant I chose. Im steering towards saline just for piece of mind. I want to be the biggest I can be but not sure which implant look bigger in the end. My friend who also had breast cancer said she waited a year then went back in & had her PS replace them with even bigger implants just because she wasn't the size she wanted initially either. Does anyone have any advice on which implant to choose? or ever went back a 2nd or 3rd time to go bigger? I do know that my PS said I'd be around 700cc when done, im just discouraged because my bra's are just now starting to fit, & to come out smaller is depressing.

Comments

• CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Silicone
    Hi -

I am so excited I am fully expanded to 350cc. My PS said I would be a B cup, and he would put in a 400 or 450cc implant. So I wonder if is it the difference in our ribcage size or what. I was a B cup before and wanted to stay about there. 700cc is quite a bit bigger, it seems like you would be at least a C cup.

My PS has samples of the silicone and saline implants and left the decision up to me. Ask your PS, I am sure they have samples. My understanding is the silicone has a more natural droop, and has a more natural feel. The saline can be a little "wavey" or "sloshy". I believe there are size limits on silicone, but you can go bigger on saline. Some people feel they would like saline over previous silicone scares, so it should definately be your decision. Also ask if they have a 700cc implant you can look at. I don't know about you, but I have had enough surgery and want it to be right the first time!

No matter what, this is your decision, and you need to feel comfortable with the outcome. I am going with the silicone because of the feel. Best of luck with these difficult decisions.

-Carrie
  • lizziejane
    lizziejane Member Posts: 69
    Options
    SALINE OR SILICONE
    I AM HAVING MY EXPANDER REPLACED NEXT WEDNESDAY, AND I CHOSE SILICONE, I READ A LOT OF OPINIONS ON THIS WEBSITE AND MOST SEEM TO GO WITH THE SILICONE BECAUSE OF THE MORE NATURAL FEEL. I WAS ONLY A B CUP AND CHOSE TO STAY A B CUP, SIMPLY BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO ADD ANYTHING TO MY REMAINING BREAST. I HAVE BEEN FILLED TO 450CC'S IN MY EXPANDER, SO I GUESS SIZE IS DECIDED BY YOUR BODY BUILD. I WILL DEFINITELY BE VERY HAPPY TO GET THIS UNCOMFORTABLE EXPANDER TAKEN OUT...
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options

SALINE OR SILICONE
    I AM HAVING MY EXPANDER REPLACED NEXT WEDNESDAY, AND I CHOSE SILICONE, I READ A LOT OF OPINIONS ON THIS WEBSITE AND MOST SEEM TO GO WITH THE SILICONE BECAUSE OF THE MORE NATURAL FEEL. I WAS ONLY A B CUP AND CHOSE TO STAY A B CUP, SIMPLY BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO ADD ANYTHING TO MY REMAINING BREAST. I HAVE BEEN FILLED TO 450CC'S IN MY EXPANDER, SO I GUESS SIZE IS DECIDED BY YOUR BODY BUILD. I WILL DEFINITELY BE VERY HAPPY TO GET THIS UNCOMFORTABLE EXPANDER TAKEN OUT...

Rib cage size
    Rib cage size does matter.
    Before surgery I was between a C and D and my silicone implant on the left is 700 cc and the right 800 cc. The tissue expanders were filled to around 900 cc. Believe me I am not that big in the boob area but my rib cage is wide so depending on the rib cage size depends on how much they fill and what your ending cup size would be. I think if I had a smaller rib cage I would not be able to see my feet and I would be very top heavy.

Silicone is a more natural feel where saline has a harder feel to them.

Margo
  • n01kar
    n01kar Member Posts: 26
    Options
    size
    6yrs ago i was a d-cup. My 1st brush with cancer i had a right mastectomy with reconstrucion via the expander route. I used a saline implant filled to 550 cc. I was now a b/c cup.
    Last october, the cancer rtned to the left breast. Opted for the same proceedure. My ps filled both implants (for right and left breast) again with 550 cc of saline. The end result, 2 different sizes which were obvious. We had to do a revision on the right side, since the implant got hard and the breast area started bruising. Today, i am a b-cup. I have no intentions of going back into surgery because of vanity. Talk it over with your ps what your realistic expectations are.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    i ended up bigger
    I was a 34 A/B prior to mastectomy... Had my expanders filled to 450cc.. on me that made me a C cup.. and at my final surgery I had 550 silicone gel implants placed.. now I am a 34 very full C to small D... I would guess your frame size has some to do with final cup size and appearance.

I couldn't imagine the depressed feeling if I ended up smaller after surgery...

I wish you well
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    e_hope said:

i ended up bigger
    I was a 34 A/B prior to mastectomy... Had my expanders filled to 450cc.. on me that made me a C cup.. and at my final surgery I had 550 silicone gel implants placed.. now I am a 34 very full C to small D... I would guess your frame size has some to do with final cup size and appearance.

I couldn't imagine the depressed feeling if I ended up smaller after surgery...

I wish you well

hmmm, my surgeon told me I
    hmmm, my surgeon told me I had to go with saline because my boobs were too large for a silicone implant....width and length....I'll have about 800 cc in the finished product.Sounds like some of you have big silicone implants though....hmmmm very curious...