surgery is over!

ms_independent
ms_independent Member Posts: 214
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I made it through the surgery. Tubes and ovaries gone! It was a rough day (Wednesday) but, I'm doing ok today. Everybody---knock on wood for me---this is supposed to be my final surgery! I'm done!
Now, if I can just find a job. I don't know how to explain why I haven't been working. I'm not sure I want to tell a recruiter that I'm a former breast cancer patient. I'm sure it will all work out the way it is supposed to...it just won't be according to my plan :).
Thanks to all!

Comments

• KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Congrats on moving on in your journey
    So glad to hear that your surgery is over. Hope you are taking good care of yourself and well on the road to healing.
    When will you be given clearance to go to work? I can certainly understand your reluctance to disclose your diagnosis to a recruiter. There are laws to protect us from this type of discrimiation however I wouldn't feel comfortable with a full disclosure of medical history either, not in these tough economic times.Depending on how long you have been out of the workforce, could you say that you have been looking for employment?
    Wishing you all the best.
    K
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Congratulations!
    Hopefully this will be your final hurdle!!!

As far as your job search, you definitely do not need to disclose what you have been treated for. The most I would disclose is that you had some health issues that you needed to take care of, but that you are fully recovered and do not expect any future issues (all true). Alternatively, you could just say that you had some personal family business to take care of, or just say that you've been looking for the right position unsuccessfully (wouldn't be hard to believe in this economy). Personally I like to stick as close to the truth as possible, but I would NOT reveal that I had cancer. It just scares some people too much, even when there's nothing to be scared of.

Rest up now, and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Glad you doing well.
    Glad you doing well. Yesterday I had the Brac test done and now I wait to see if I have to have ovaries removed.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Kat11 said:

Glad you doing well.
    Glad you doing well. Yesterday I had the Brac test done and now I wait to see if I have to have ovaries removed.

Congratulations!!!
    I am glad that you are doing well, I am waiting for BRAC results too.
    I am on the job market right now and the last thing I would like recruiters and potential employers to know about me that I had BC. I was advised by job coach/adviser not to disclose health and medical problems during interview and hiring process.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery,
    New Flower
  • ms_independent
    KayNYC said:

Congrats on moving on in your journey
    So glad to hear that your surgery is over. Hope you are taking good care of yourself and well on the road to healing.
    When will you be given clearance to go to work? I can certainly understand your reluctance to disclose your diagnosis to a recruiter. There are laws to protect us from this type of discrimiation however I wouldn't feel comfortable with a full disclosure of medical history either, not in these tough economic times.Depending on how long you have been out of the workforce, could you say that you have been looking for employment?
    Wishing you all the best.
    K

out of work too long
    I stopped work about 1 1/2 years ago. We thought we had sold our house in Maryland (hubby took job in Indiana) and I had lots of stuff to do so quit a little early. That deal fell through as did many others. Long story short--it took over a year to sell the house and move. I had that all accounted for with the move issue. It seems a little long and dishonest to use it to account for the last 5-6 months. Anyway, believe it or not, there is a shortage of nursing jobs around here, lots of hiring freezes. I'm hoping I can get on as a PRN nurse and slip into a real position later.
    I can go back to work in about 2 weeks, assuming I feel ok.
    Thanks for the good wishes!
  • ms_independent
    Thanks to all
    Thanks everybody! I appreciate the suggestions and well wishes! Guess I better figure it out :)

Hugs, El