need advice

Options
crazylady
crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi All,

I accidentally posted this on another thread. Some day I may become computer literate. lol

I started a drug trial a couple of weeks ago and lasted only 5 days on the drug due to some nasty side effects. The oncologist wants me to go back on the drug at a reduced dosage. My concerns are that if I go back on the drug and the side effects occur I will not be able to function well. I am in the process of moving to another state, getting ready to pack etc. Also, what is the point of doing a drug trial if I have no quality of life? If I don't go back on the drug then I will have to wait until I move, some time in June, to find another trial. In the mean time I will be off chemo. I was off chemo for 6 weeks before I started this trial and my lung mets grew during that time. A part of me wants to have this break and the other part is afraid to take it. There are, as you all know, too many what if's and no guarantees about either option. Yuck! After 6 years I'm really tired of dealing with the whole thing!

I would apprecialte any advice and all opinions.

Thanks,
Jamie

Comments

• chicoturner
    chicoturner Member Posts: 282
    Options
    Hi Jamie, I really have no
    Hi Jamie, I really have no advise, but do understand your concern! I have been off chemo for 8 weeks and have an appt. Monday at UCSF to see about trials. My onc said I needed a rest as I had been on chemo for such a long string. I can tell you I am concerned about the time, but, I guess I can't go back now! Did you talk to your onc about your concerns? We aren't happy on it and are afraid when we are off of it! Chemo makes us crazy! I am anxious to hear other reply to you too. Jean
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Chemo
    If this trial is working then why would you quit? Since mets grew while off chemo for a short period of time then waiting until possibly July or later to find something else might give them an opportunity to grow again. How far are you moving? If you just pack a box or 2 a day you will be done before you know it. Since you are moving I hope you have researched a new oncologist in your new town and have your current oncologist lined up to fill in the new doctor so treatment can continue uninterrupted. Just a thought.

Tina
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Options
    geotina said:

Chemo
    If this trial is working then why would you quit? Since mets grew while off chemo for a short period of time then waiting until possibly July or later to find something else might give them an opportunity to grow again. How far are you moving? If you just pack a box or 2 a day you will be done before you know it. Since you are moving I hope you have researched a new oncologist in your new town and have your current oncologist lined up to fill in the new doctor so treatment can continue uninterrupted. Just a thought.

Tina

Jamie,
    I have to agree with

Jamie,
    I have to agree with Tina. On the other hand no one can really know how you feel inside but you. I am hoping that my husband will stay on treatment for as long as it is working. He has talked about a break but it really worries me. What ever you do I hope it works out.Paula
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    Paula G. said:

Jamie,
    I have to agree with

Jamie,
    I have to agree with Tina. On the other hand no one can really know how you feel inside but you. I am hoping that my husband will stay on treatment for as long as it is working. He has talked about a break but it really worries me. What ever you do I hope it works out.Paula

if it has a chance to exterminate the cancer or reduce its deleterious effect on you, I would go with the temporary chemo-induced problems, knowing they will end in time (hopefully)and perhaps life improved. Meanwhile, when energy is there, continue packing a little at a time as you see fit. Either way, wishing success with whatever you decide for yourself...steve