no hair

joan_doyle
joan_doyle Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Maybe a silly question but hair nearly gone now and just woundering - how do you look after your head? soap, creams, and maybe sun tan lotions ? -I'm looking weird at the moment look like a ninety year old with a few strands of hair you'd see in the movies. heading for next chemo tomorrow so more hair to be lost - it is such a pain gathering up these hairs no wounder we get tired having chemo (trying to be light hearted) seriously any suggestion on the care of your scalp thanks in advance Joan

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    I shaved my head after my
    I shaved my head after my 2nd chemo--couldn't stand it falling out. I used my face cleanser on my head and used aloe gel after showers to keep the scalp soft. I didn't have any problems with it. I also used sunscreen if I was going to be outside uncovered.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Hello Joan! Most of my hair
    Hello Joan! Most of my hair fell out almost two weeks after my first chemo - I was somewhat traumatized because my hair was halfway down my back and it took me ten years to get it that long! I then had my head shaved. About 90% of the stubble fell out after the second chemo. I purchased a wig because I work in an elementary school and didn't want to frighten the children. However, I am totally okay with being bald (much to my surprise) and only wear the wig to work and to church! The place where I bought my wig told me to wash my bald head with a dab of shampoo, not face soap. But to use face cream on the scalp. So far, no issues with the scalp.

Good luck with your chemo tomorrow. I hope all is going well, and remember, we are all here for you!

Heidi
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Joan
    As Heidi suggested, I've used just a dab of my usual shampoo about every other day, and put the same lotion I use on my face (which has sunscreen in it) on my head.

I also buzzed my head when my hair started to come out in handfuls. I had cut it to a short style before my chemo, but it still bothered me, and actually hurt a bit, when it started to fall out, so my hubby buzzed it for me on New Year's Day.

My hair is just starting to come back in now, so I'm also using just a dab of conditioner about once a week, just to be on the safe side!
  • hounddog
    hounddog Member Posts: 115
    I know it is scary not to have hair
    Joan
    Hello I know that it is scary not to have hair .I went through a new breast cancer in Feb. of 2003 and I went through chemo treatments in April - June of 2003 and I lost all of my hair . I was scared. Just wear scarves on your head . and a baseball cap. It took me along time to go out in public when I lost all of my hair. I think the thing that scared me most is because my first Mom lost her hair when she had cancer but she died when I was 9 yrs old at that time they didn't have the technology that they do now adays for finding cancer.
    Marilyn
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Baby shampoo & hats
    Hi, Joan -

I figured that baby shampoo was made for sensitive little bald heads, so I used that after my hair fell out (my chemo nurse also suggested it). I also found the baby-esque scent kind of comforting.

I was VERY careful about the sun -- I figured, my scalp hasn't seen sun since I was about 2 years old, and I wasn't about to let it get sunburned. I didn't wear anything on my head indoors, but always, ALWAYS wore a hat or headwrap if I was outside for more than 2 minutes.

One other thing to keep in mind: Watch your scalp for itching and little red bumps, and let your doctor know if you have problems. My doctor gave me a prescription acne medication about halfway through chemo, which worked very well for me.

Traci
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Lint roller
    I, too, shaved my head after the hair started falling out. What a relief! I do run a sticky-paper lint roller GENTLY over my head several times a day to collect the tiny hairs that continue to fall. I've been advised not to shave my head with a razor -- may be difficult to heal cuts while on chemo -- but I'm sure tempted. Even the movement of the stubble against a cap, scarf or pillow is slightly painful.

I pat face cream on my head after washing. NEVER would I go outside uncovered though, because I've already gotten itchy rashes from sun + chemo. The oncologist said using three times as much sunscreen as normal ought to keep the rash off my body, but I still wouldn't risk my noggin.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Lint roller
    I, too, shaved my head after the hair started falling out. What a relief! I do run a sticky-paper lint roller GENTLY over my head several times a day to collect the tiny hairs that continue to fall. I've been advised not to shave my head with a razor -- may be difficult to heal cuts while on chemo -- but I'm sure tempted. Even the movement of the stubble against a cap, scarf or pillow is slightly painful.

I pat face cream on my head after washing. NEVER would I go outside uncovered though, because I've already gotten itchy rashes from sun + chemo. The oncologist said using three times as much sunscreen as normal ought to keep the rash off my body, but I still wouldn't risk my noggin.

like Tracey I used baby
    like Tracey I used baby shampoo. I wore scarves outside. now I use shampoo and a little conditioner for what hair I have.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    carkris said:

like Tracey I used baby
    like Tracey I used baby shampoo. I wore scarves outside. now I use shampoo and a little conditioner for what hair I have.

I shaved my head to just
    I shaved my head to just after second treatment. It's a hard thing to do, but for me it was the best way. Keep your head covered in the sun, you don't need more problems. I did use lotion on my head every night. I was afraid my head would dry out and flake or something. It never did LOL.
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    heidijez said:

Hello Joan! Most of my hair
    Hello Joan! Most of my hair fell out almost two weeks after my first chemo - I was somewhat traumatized because my hair was halfway down my back and it took me ten years to get it that long! I then had my head shaved. About 90% of the stubble fell out after the second chemo. I purchased a wig because I work in an elementary school and didn't want to frighten the children. However, I am totally okay with being bald (much to my surprise) and only wear the wig to work and to church! The place where I bought my wig told me to wash my bald head with a dab of shampoo, not face soap. But to use face cream on the scalp. So far, no issues with the scalp.

Good luck with your chemo tomorrow. I hope all is going well, and remember, we are all here for you!

Heidi

I started chemo on April 2,
    I started chemo on April 2, 2010 and this Wed. I had my head shaved. My hair was coming in in patches so I bit the bullet or clippers and did it. It was very hard to do but I survuved. I have a wig that I wear to work I teach school. The rest of the time I wear a cap or scarf. It really isn't as bad as I thought. I just use a little shampoo on my stubbies. My husband bought me a doo-rag to wear when we ride the motorcycle.
  • joan_doyle
    joan_doyle Member Posts: 29
    just to say Thanks
    Just to say a big thank you -will take on board the advice you all gave the - the 2nd chemo ok felt as if i had a few glasses too many and was on a high - then wore off and slept like a baby as i say god bless these anti-sickness tablets for food ( the little we can eat just after the chemo) hope all is going good for you all - just to say a Big Thank you again
    Cheers Joan
  • reddebbb
    reddebbb Member Posts: 14
    AMomNETN said:

I started chemo on April 2,
    I started chemo on April 2, 2010 and this Wed. I had my head shaved. My hair was coming in in patches so I bit the bullet or clippers and did it. It was very hard to do but I survuved. I have a wig that I wear to work I teach school. The rest of the time I wear a cap or scarf. It really isn't as bad as I thought. I just use a little shampoo on my stubbies. My husband bought me a doo-rag to wear when we ride the motorcycle.

shaving party
    i'm starting my first chemo, mon. apr. 19th. my plan is to have my 28 year old son come to shave my head 10 days later for my 59th birthday!!!!!! he offered, since he used to shave his head when he was a teenager! with his sense of humor, some loud, fun music, and my husband, it should be quite an experience!!!!!!! thanks for all of the advice.