post cancer depression

poolboy
poolboy Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello y’all. Dave here, been on here before (in april I think) to get insight and advice for my fiancé. She’s done with chemo and radiation, done since Sept. Hair is growing pretty well but curly as heck which she absolutely hates. Thank you to those who are on here everyday helping others. I think I will spend more time on here too and help others through it now that I’ve watched my fiancé go through this first hand. Specifically, I’m looking for advice on how to help my fiancé through the despair and depression she is going through. Even though she is cancer free now, she’s convinced it’s coming back. She does have a couple part time jobs that are helping to pay cancer bills but she watches me and friends go to work everyday while she sits home most of the time, working our normal jobs, watching friends and family go about their daily lives; she feels like everything has been taken away…her looks, her hair, the life she used to have, used to be able to support herself, now depends on me, tired of port flushes, tired of cancer bills, tired of creditors calling (she’s filing bankruptcy), tired of being tired, tired of lymphedema, tired of the hot flashes from Tamoxifen….etc etc…she’s just not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel and doesn’t want to get up in the morning. I understand it but don’t know what to do or say. I’d feel the same if I was her. Can’t just sit by and watch her sink, ya know? Doesn’t help that were all constantly reminded of cancer by the news or evening tv shows where someone is dealing with cancer. I’ve suggested some support groups but she’s not interested in sitting around in a group and everyone telling their cancer story. She has her next cancer scans in June and you know how that goes; she’s scared as heck they’ll find something plus these scans are not cheap. I know guys should not try to “fix it” but I would at least like to know what to say or do. I’m there for her and love her but I’ll be honest; I thought post cancer she’d be better mentally. She was stronger while going thru chemo and radiation than she is now.

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    It's the let down of
    It's the let down of fighting the cancer that she's feeling now. When I was in treatment I felt I was being active in keeping the cancer away. After treatment I felt what now? How do I fight it--will it come back? Then the depression sets in and the downward spiral starts. Also the tamoxifen can cause depression. She needs to call her oncologist. He/she can help with this.

Good luck and hope this helps.
    Sher
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    let down
    Sher is right during the chemo and radiation you feel like a warrior against this thing, no matter how easy or difficult the treatment is for you. You're almost constantly "doing" something to fight. You have teams of people around helping you and they're just a phone call away if you have a question or a need. After the intensity of that fighting, you suddenly seemingly stop the fight and you're back to the worst part of the whole thing, the waiting. You're waiting for your next mammo or your next bone scan or MRI or whatever comes next but in between you aren't fighting anymore. While doing "nothing" you mind begins to wander to all the awful "what if" places.
    You sound like a truly caring loving person and she's lucky to have you in her life. Try going for walks or something else that will keep her moving and give her something to focus on besides "the fight".
    Good luck.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Dave
    You sound like a very caring and loving fiance. I'm so glad you remembered this place of support to try to help.

I am still in treatment, and have not (yet) experienced the depression you're describing, but I have read several stories from ladies on these boards who have described a real feeling of letdown after their treatments ended. Both they and their loved ones/friends expect and hope for a return to normalcy that is just very elusive, if not impossible to find. Most eventually find a "new normal" which can be every bit as fulfilling and joyful as the old one, but with a new level of awareness of the fragility of life.

Please encourage her to talk to her doctor about her depression. There are medications that can really help with those symptoms. Also try to encourage her to come here herself if you can, or to go to the support group as you already suggested. It's not just about people telling their stories, but is also about sharing what has worked for them to get through this unbelievably difficult fight and to know that we are not alone in feeling scared and out of control.

Hang in there, and God bless you for coming here.

(((HUGS)))
    Cindy
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769

Dave
    You sound like a very caring and loving fiance. I'm so glad you remembered this place of support to try to help.

I am still in treatment, and have not (yet) experienced the depression you're describing, but I have read several stories from ladies on these boards who have described a real feeling of letdown after their treatments ended. Both they and their loved ones/friends expect and hope for a return to normalcy that is just very elusive, if not impossible to find. Most eventually find a "new normal" which can be every bit as fulfilling and joyful as the old one, but with a new level of awareness of the fragility of life.

Please encourage her to talk to her doctor about her depression. There are medications that can really help with those symptoms. Also try to encourage her to come here herself if you can, or to go to the support group as you already suggested. It's not just about people telling their stories, but is also about sharing what has worked for them to get through this unbelievably difficult fight and to know that we are not alone in feeling scared and out of control.

Hang in there, and God bless you for coming here.

(((HUGS)))
    Cindy

Dave
    Dave,
    She does need to talk to her oncologist. Believe it or not she may have been depressed when she was going through her treatment but she was busy by going to her treatments and keeping herself as healthy as she could during that time and now when things have settled down it shows more and she is feeling it more.

I know for myself when I was going through my treatments every week I didn't have time to think and then when treatment schedule changed to less often then it hit me and I did something about it--talked to my oncologist and she gave me Lexapro which is for anxiety and depression and am able to hold myself more together for my son and myself. Yes there are still a day every once in awhile but very few and far between that I am sad or depressed.

You are a very caring person and she is lucky to have you in her life so suggest that she talk to her oncologist. I couldn't do the support group thing either and that is because the support groups around me were more or less a pity party meeting and I didn't want to leave a meeting feeling worse.

Hugs to you and your girlfriend,
    Margo
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Dave, I don't have any
    Dave, I don't have any additional recommendations for your fiance other than perhaps she could join this group. I think it is different that going to a support group because here you can ask anything and actually remain anonymous. I think for some people that makes all the difference in the world in what they might ask or actually say. It's just a suggestion. I am only 4 months out from finishing my treatments and have not really experienced the depression, yet. I hope I never do. I do however stay very active with exercise at least 5 times a week and I believe that also helps. Maybe that's another idea for your fiance, if nothing more than a daily walk to enjoy the wonders of nature. Enough rambling from me. Good luck and please come back with your questions and we will do our best to help.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Almost a year
    Out of treatment and still can't seem to find my footing. I turned 61 this year and want to retire sooo bad, but can't afford to. I find myself retreating from this board a lot, trying to remember what life was like before cancer, but just don't know how to do it. Everyone's gone back to their own lives and want me to get on with mine, but I feel I'm just a step behind everyone. Nobody wants to hear my cancer story any more and I feel I don't have anything in common with people any more. So if there is a magic pill out there that will bring us back to where we really want to be, I want to know about it.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    padee6339 said:

Almost a year
    Out of treatment and still can't seem to find my footing. I turned 61 this year and want to retire sooo bad, but can't afford to. I find myself retreating from this board a lot, trying to remember what life was like before cancer, but just don't know how to do it. Everyone's gone back to their own lives and want me to get on with mine, but I feel I'm just a step behind everyone. Nobody wants to hear my cancer story any more and I feel I don't have anything in common with people any more. So if there is a magic pill out there that will bring us back to where we really want to be, I want to know about it.

life will slowly return to
    life will slowly return to normal. a new one. it takes time as with any trauma. its a grieving process. I had cancer 16 years ago now agian. trust me your life will get better. hang in there. the feelings are normal. lexapro is compatable with tamoxifen too.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    carkris said:

life will slowly return to
    life will slowly return to normal. a new one. it takes time as with any trauma. its a grieving process. I had cancer 16 years ago now agian. trust me your life will get better. hang in there. the feelings are normal. lexapro is compatable with tamoxifen too.

Hi Dave
    Sounds like you have been a huge help to her already. I know what you mean about cancer every where, TV, Radio, Signs. I said the same thing to my husband one day on the way to treatment. Just can't get away from it. You did not mention, is she on any drugs for depression. If not you should tell her ONC that she needs something to help her through this. Just so you know most of us here are on some kind of meds to get us through the ruff times. I am also on Tamoxifen and I thought to that the drug was adding to my depression. Doctor said no it just if she is on tamoxifen than she is at the end of her treatments and there is a fear that now know one is watching her as close as before. So it's like your kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop. I think to some degree the fear will always be there, just she will be able to handle it better as time moves on. Also I understand she does not want to sit in a group and talk about cancer. Could you get her to come on the boards here. I know how much the boards helped me and others. She could really vent and it would be with others who really get what is happening to her.The boards have helped you and I know they will help her. Just make sure you talk to her doctors and let them know how she is feeling. Good Luck Dave.
  • Youcandothis
    Youcandothis Member Posts: 79
    Kat11 said:

Hi Dave
    Sounds like you have been a huge help to her already. I know what you mean about cancer every where, TV, Radio, Signs. I said the same thing to my husband one day on the way to treatment. Just can't get away from it. You did not mention, is she on any drugs for depression. If not you should tell her ONC that she needs something to help her through this. Just so you know most of us here are on some kind of meds to get us through the ruff times. I am also on Tamoxifen and I thought to that the drug was adding to my depression. Doctor said no it just if she is on tamoxifen than she is at the end of her treatments and there is a fear that now know one is watching her as close as before. So it's like your kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop. I think to some degree the fear will always be there, just she will be able to handle it better as time moves on. Also I understand she does not want to sit in a group and talk about cancer. Could you get her to come on the boards here. I know how much the boards helped me and others. She could really vent and it would be with others who really get what is happening to her.The boards have helped you and I know they will help her. Just make sure you talk to her doctors and let them know how she is feeling. Good Luck Dave.

You've had some great advice here
    I'll add three things: gently encourage her to do all the things listed here, and encourage her to exercise, it's a great natural antidepressant. Oh yes, the third? it's for you Dave. Your fiancée is not able to recognize nor appreciate what you are doing for her, but we are. You're a stand-up man and deserve thanks from all of us for supporting our sister. Recognize that and know she will too when she's able!
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Hi Dave
    The losses for her have been many and it takes time to get through all the feelings that go with this. One thing we hardly address is the survivors guilt knowing so many hadn't made thus far and always wondering how we move on knowing what we know now.
    One just has to live on inspite of it all and it does get better. Loss is difficult and just think life is about facing many of them. Living in the good and bad is all there is and not doing it alone is the greatest gift.
    My partner and I had just moved to be together and I was ill and a few months later our lives would change forever. 14 years later we can finally say our relationship has made it after many difficult times coming to terms with our new norm, just lucky my health finally returned.
    Dave your a good man and I hope she knows just how much you do care about her.
    Be good to yourself always,
    Tara
  • JillyB
    JillyB Member Posts: 50
    post cancer depression
    Hi Dave,
    First let me say, that you are one of the most understanding of depression MALES/actually people, but really guys, in general, that I have ever come across. I have been dealing with Clinical Depression, which was then found out to be out to be Bipolar II for the last 15 years, well, my whole life I guess, but first Dx when I was 22, and that was way before the Cancer. So Big Props to you for sticking it through and even thinging to ask for help!. She is very lucky to have you. I agree with what mostly everyone is saying. While going thru treatment, you are so focused on getting thru it and getting it over, that you really do just have to stuff ALOT of emotions down. I don't know what your finace was like during treatment, but if she is taking it this hard,she may have checked alot of her emotions at the door very close to right after Her Dx. And if her Cancer Center was anything like mine, she may also be having a hard time dealing not only with the loss of scheduled time, but also the loss of staff that may have become quite close to her and she to them. I know I miss seeing the nurses and others that worked there Alot. Luckily, some of them that I felt the biggest connection to broke the rules and gave their email, facebook and phone #'s so we keep in touch and see each other,since they are close to my age... I finished Chemo on March 31, and begin Rads Monday. But already, I can hardly talk about the most mundane thing without crying. And it doesn't help that the Taxotere medication actually causes tears as a side effect, so no matter what, I have tears pretty much streaming down my face 24/7....lol! I, personally have to laugh, because before chemo, I never cried at movies, or commercials, and now, I can't even say good morning to my parents, whom I am living with, while I go thru treatment without getting all veklempt. (sp?)
    But seriously, I think you should encourage her to talk to her oncologist about seeing if he/she can reccomend a therapist/social worker who specialized in talking to people who have gone through Cancer treatment (or some other serious illness). I see someone who does, and she completely understands, as she went through it herself many years ago. So that, and a couple support groups I found that I Love that I lucked out on and aren't pity fests at all, are great helps. I do go to a couple because I find once a month, esp. with the mush brain are too far apart,although I convinced one group to meet every 2 weeks, for that very reason, bringing up that if it was once a month there was a good chance we would not remember anything about each other, down to our names, so frequency has helped.
    But also, try to get her out of the house. Is she working? If not, maybe ask her out on a date a couple days in advance, and if she says yes, then stews over it and backs out,ask her in the morning for that night. Or maybe visit some (no more than one other close couple) friends...just something to get her out. If she watches TV all day, unscrew the cable and say it went out? There's some incentive! I don't condone lying, but I don't know, if it gets too bad....Has she had depressio in the past?
    OK, that's all for now, I'd love to know some history if you don't mind..
    Adn I hope things are a bit better by now. Plus, if you live in New England, or somewhere that's NOT SoCal, it's tough this time of year.
    You are doing great Dave, I think alot of guys would have bailed by now, and most definitely not gone to the lenths you have to help and understand. Since she can't say it right now, I am saying thank you for her.
    Jilly B
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Depression is a real post
    Depression is a real post active treatment problem. I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for 18 months. It hasn't been so severe as it was, but I do take meds.

Feeling support it so important. Kudos to you, Poolboy, for sticking by your fiance and for asking all the right questions. xoxoxox Lynn
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Dave
    Dave,
    She does need to talk to her oncologist. Believe it or not she may have been depressed when she was going through her treatment but she was busy by going to her treatments and keeping herself as healthy as she could during that time and now when things have settled down it shows more and she is feeling it more.

I know for myself when I was going through my treatments every week I didn't have time to think and then when treatment schedule changed to less often then it hit me and I did something about it--talked to my oncologist and she gave me Lexapro which is for anxiety and depression and am able to hold myself more together for my son and myself. Yes there are still a day every once in awhile but very few and far between that I am sad or depressed.

You are a very caring person and she is lucky to have you in her life so suggest that she talk to her oncologist. I couldn't do the support group thing either and that is because the support groups around me were more or less a pity party meeting and I didn't want to leave a meeting feeling worse.

Hugs to you and your girlfriend,
    Margo

Hi Dave
    I am 12 months out of invasive treatment and on Tamoxifen too. I can completely understand your fiancee. Unfortunately many of your problems are common for cancer survivors. I still have to deal with my insurance even for 2008 surgical and anesthesiology services, collection agency (result of medical bills), lymphedema, lost my job.
    As others already said there some constructive steps you can take together:
    Medications such as antidepressants are helpful. Since she takes Tamoxifen the only compatible choice is Effexor - talk to her oncologist. Chemo could change chemistry of the brain and in order to return it back to normal one needs medications
    Ask her to come here and join CSN board - it is not about cancer only we are helping each other with everyday real life problems. I never went to support group myself and found the best support here on this board!
    Go out every weekend, take vacation or just a trip to the park. Spring is coming and everything is blooming. She needs to get out of the house especially because she works from home.
    My husband and I watch movie every weekend, on weekdays show or comedies and trying to laugh everyday.
    Hobby can be helpful or something new and enjoyable which is not related to her occupation. I am taking watercolor class and it takes my mind away.
    Hugs to you and your fiancee.
    New Flower
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    lynn1950 said:

Depression is a real post
    Depression is a real post active treatment problem. I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for 18 months. It hasn't been so severe as it was, but I do take meds.

Feeling support it so important. Kudos to you, Poolboy, for sticking by your fiance and for asking all the right questions. xoxoxox Lynn

depression
    I am just bumping it up