Now Aromasin, what next?

Options
JudyAS
JudyAS Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
As of yesterday I had to stop the Aromasin because my hands swelled so bad I couldn't bend my fingers or even get my rings off. The pain deep in my bones left me with no quality of life. I have tried the Arimidex which was even worse, at least this time I stayed on the Aromasin for 5 months, but called my doctor to tell them I cannot take this anymore. So now I don't know what he will do, he had mentioned Tamoxifen if the Aromasin didn't work, but I thought that was for the younger women who still were having their periods. I know the one thing with Tamoxifen is uteran cancer, but I don't have my uterus anymore, the other is blood clots which I have never had a problem with clotting.
So maybe that will be my answer. I just turned 70 years old, maybe I should just take my chances and not take anything I really don't know. I had ER Positive, Invasive ductal carcinoma, intermediate grade, level 2. I had 3 tumors. So now I guess I just sit and wait, but I can't take that medicine that keeps me from doing the things I love best. Any feedback on this, and has anyone else had this problem. I would love to hear from you.

JudyAS

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    I am sorry Judy that you are
    I am sorry Judy that you are having problems with the meds. I am supposed to take tamox, but, haven't taken the first one yet. Still afraid of the uterine cancer I guess. I hope that your oncologist can help you out. Good luck!

Hugs, Leeza
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    jnl said:

I am sorry Judy that you are having problems with the meds. I am supposed to take tamox, but, haven't taken the first one yet. Still afraid of the uterine cancer I guess. I hope that your oncologist can help you out. Good luck!

Hugs, Leeza

Judy
    Sorry for difficulties and horrible side effects which have affected your quality of life.First of al since you stop Aromasin the drug will be in your system for 2 weeks. So you do have time to talk to your oncologist and discuss your options. I have been on Tamoxifen for 12 months now. While initially I had side effects related to induced menopause, they gradually subsided and I have been tolerating it well.
    As always it is a personal choice. I am sure your oncologist will help you to make decision which is right for you.
    Good luck,
    New Flower
  • JudyAS
    Options
    jnl said:

Hugs, Leeza

Thank Leeza
    Thank you Leeza for your concern. The nurse called me back and the doctor wants me off the Aromasin and then go in to see him in 1 month. He told me the only other choice would be Tamoxifen and that would be fine with me as long as there are no side effects like this was. He told me a long time ago that I was atypical, because of all the problems I have had since the mastectomy. After the radiation I started bleeding under the skin which they had to put a drain tube back in for 3 weeks, then when they took it out it took another month for it to stop draining. Then no sooner then it stopped and I got an infection which ran red streaks up my chest and into my other breast. That took forever with antibiotics for that to go away. Then the Arimidex which I couldn't take, now the Aromasin, so you can see I just get so down. I don't know why I thought that once you had a mastectomy that was all there was to it, boy was I wrong. But I know I will be okay it is just going to take time. Hasn't even been a year yet, so I expect things to get better by this summer. Thanks to all who care about all we go through.

Hugs Judy
  • JudyAS
    Options

Judy
    Sorry for difficulties and horrible side effects which have affected your quality of life.First of al since you stop Aromasin the drug will be in your system for 2 weeks. So you do have time to talk to your oncologist and discuss your options. I have been on Tamoxifen for 12 months now. While initially I had side effects related to induced menopause, they gradually subsided and I have been tolerating it well.
    As always it is a personal choice. I am sure your oncologist will help you to make decision which is right for you.
    Good luck,
    New Flower

Thanks New Flower
    I need all the encouragement I can get, so thank you and I will keep in touch with all of you.

Judy
  • jnl
    Options
    JudyAS said:

Thank Leeza
    Thank you Leeza for your concern. The nurse called me back and the doctor wants me off the Aromasin and then go in to see him in 1 month. He told me the only other choice would be Tamoxifen and that would be fine with me as long as there are no side effects like this was. He told me a long time ago that I was atypical, because of all the problems I have had since the mastectomy. After the radiation I started bleeding under the skin which they had to put a drain tube back in for 3 weeks, then when they took it out it took another month for it to stop draining. Then no sooner then it stopped and I got an infection which ran red streaks up my chest and into my other breast. That took forever with antibiotics for that to go away. Then the Arimidex which I couldn't take, now the Aromasin, so you can see I just get so down. I don't know why I thought that once you had a mastectomy that was all there was to it, boy was I wrong. But I know I will be okay it is just going to take time. Hasn't even been a year yet, so I expect things to get better by this summer. Thanks to all who care about all we go through.

Hugs Judy

Praying that you do well on
    Praying that you do well on tamox Judy. Keep us updated!

Hugs, Leeza
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    jnl said:

Praying that you do well on
    Praying that you do well on tamox Judy. Keep us updated!

Hugs, Leeza

Judy
    you are normal patient. Everyone had something atypical during cancer treatment. We all real people unfortunately our doctors expect that everything will go as written in the textbook and forget that every organism different and unique. Keep fighting and keep us posted. Wishing you that all side effects will go away soon.
    New Flower
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    JudyAS said:

Thank Leeza

Hugs Judy

Wow!!
    That sounds like a rough 5 months. I had trouble with Femara but I have been off of it for a week and my bones still hurt so bad I have trouble walking. I hope there isn't something else going on.

Take care,

P
  • JacquiAL
    JacquiAL Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Tamoxifen
    Hi Judy,

I am postmenapausal and am on Tamoxifen because I couldn't tolerate Femara. My Onc thought that if I couldn't tolerate one AI, I probably couldn't tolerate the other two. So far, the only side effect I've had on Tamoxifen is very dry skin on my face. It's minor but making me very uncomfortable. I've asked for suggestions on the Site for creams, oils, etc. I will also see my dermatologist again and hope she can come up with something.

I hope Tamoxifen will be an option for you and that you do well on it.

Jacqui
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    aztec45 said:

Wow!!
    That sounds like a rough 5 months. I had trouble with Femara but I have been off of it for a week and my bones still hurt so bad I have trouble walking. I hope there isn't something else going on.

Take care,

P

Wishing you good luck too
    Wishing you good luck too with whatever your oncologist has you take. You have really had a very rough time. Sending you good luck and hugs!
  • JudyAS
    Options
    JacquiAL said:

Tamoxifen
    Hi Judy,

I am postmenapausal and am on Tamoxifen because I couldn't tolerate Femara. My Onc thought that if I couldn't tolerate one AI, I probably couldn't tolerate the other two. So far, the only side effect I've had on Tamoxifen is very dry skin on my face. It's minor but making me very uncomfortable. I've asked for suggestions on the Site for creams, oils, etc. I will also see my dermatologist again and hope she can come up with something.

I hope Tamoxifen will be an option for you and that you do well on it.

Jacqui

Tamoxifen Thank You's
    To all of your for your support I say thank you. I was so positive after my mastectomy and thought I would do fine. But it really can pull you down fast when things go wrong. That is why I love this site and to see that I am not alone. I will see my Oncologist on April 28 and I am sure he will put me on the Tamoxifen. That was the statement he made when he put me on the Aromasin and I started having problems. I have now been off the Aromasin for 4 days, still a little stiff and some pain in my joints but I know if will get better. My hands aren't as swollen as they were either. At least I can almost make a fist now. I wish these pharmacutical companies would come up with a drug without side effects like these. Jacqui, I hope you get your dry skin resolved. I already have dry skin but I could tolerate that as long as there is no pain. You take care and a big big thanks to all of you. Will keep you posted.

Hugs to All
    Judy
  • jnl
    Options
    JudyAS said:

Tamoxifen Thank You's
    To all of your for your support I say thank you. I was so positive after my mastectomy and thought I would do fine. But it really can pull you down fast when things go wrong. That is why I love this site and to see that I am not alone. I will see my Oncologist on April 28 and I am sure he will put me on the Tamoxifen. That was the statement he made when he put me on the Aromasin and I started having problems. I have now been off the Aromasin for 4 days, still a little stiff and some pain in my joints but I know if will get better. My hands aren't as swollen as they were either. At least I can almost make a fist now. I wish these pharmacutical companies would come up with a drug without side effects like these. Jacqui, I hope you get your dry skin resolved. I already have dry skin but I could tolerate that as long as there is no pain. You take care and a big big thanks to all of you. Will keep you posted.

Hugs to All
    Judy

Glad your stiffness is
    Glad your stiffness is somewhat better. Hoping that when you go on tamoxifen that you will have minimal side effects, or, better yet none! Good luck to you Judy.

Leeza
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    JudyAS said:

Tamoxifen Thank You's

Hugs to All
    Judy

Good luck to you Judy on
    Good luck to you Judy on tamoxifen! I hope you have no bad reaction to it.
  • JudyAS
    Options
    Alexis F said:

Good luck to you Judy on
    Good luck to you Judy on tamoxifen! I hope you have no bad reaction to it.

Thank you Alexis, I will
    Thank you Alexis, I will keep you posted. Went back to my oncology radiation doctor today and he doesn't like the looks of the red streaks from when I had the infection under the skin. Especially since it went into my other breast. Will have my mammogram next week so will know if I come out clear on that. The Tamoxifen won't start until I go back to my Ocologist on April 28. Let everyone know then.

Hugs to all and Thanks for all the support.
    Judy
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    JudyAS said:

Thank you Alexis, I will
    Thank you Alexis, I will keep you posted. Went back to my oncology radiation doctor today and he doesn't like the looks of the red streaks from when I had the infection under the skin. Especially since it went into my other breast. Will have my mammogram next week so will know if I come out clear on that. The Tamoxifen won't start until I go back to my Ocologist on April 28. Let everyone know then.

Judy

Sending you good luck with
    Sending you good luck with your mammo next week! Let us know!

Hugs, Debby
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    DebbyM said:

Sending you good luck with
    Sending you good luck with your mammo next week! Let us know!

Hugs, Debby

Yes, good luck with your
    Yes, good luck with your mammo Judy! Be sure and update us! I bet everything will be fine!

Sue :)
  • hellomykitty
    hellomykitty Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    JudyAS said:

Thank you Alexis, I will

Judy

Sending You Lots of Hugs
    Good Luck with your mammogram Judy. We will be praying for you. We are all in this together.

Hugs
  • JudyAS
    Options

Sending You Lots of Hugs
    Good Luck with your mammogram Judy. We will be praying for you. We are all in this together.

Hugs

Thank you everyone. I will
    Thank you everyone. I will keep you posted and should know Friday after my mammo if it is okay. I pray it is.

Big Hugs to All of You
    Judy
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    JudyAS said:

Thank you everyone. I will
    Thank you everyone. I will keep you posted and should know Friday after my mammo if it is okay. I pray it is.

Big Hugs to All of You
    Judy

Good luck with your mammo!
    Good luck with your mammo! Praying for good results!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your mammo, Judy
    And I'm very sorry you've been experiencing these severe side effects. I think though that it's good to be vigilent and try to find a hormonal you can tolerate. These drugs are powerful agents in remaining cancer free for the rest of your life, so I think it's good that you are giving Tamoxifen a go. I hope it turns out much better for you than the other drugs. We'll be waiting to hear about your mammogram.

Mimi
  • JudyAS
    Options
    mimivac said:

Good luck on your mammo, Judy
    And I'm very sorry you've been experiencing these severe side effects. I think though that it's good to be vigilent and try to find a hormonal you can tolerate. These drugs are powerful agents in remaining cancer free for the rest of your life, so I think it's good that you are giving Tamoxifen a go. I hope it turns out much better for you than the other drugs. We'll be waiting to hear about your mammogram.

Mimi

Thanks Mimi,
    I am getting

Thanks Mimi,
    I am getting very anxious about tomorrow but in my heart I feel I am going to be fine. I do hope I can tolerate the Tamoxifen, I don't think it has the side effects the others do.
    At least I hope not. I still can't understand why my body will not tolerate those drugs, but I will keep trying. I will let everyone know when I get home tomorrow. I know everyone is praying for good news. Me too.

Hugs to all Judy