Wound infection -- I have scared myself by imagining what this is

SherryAF
SherryAF Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had the second part of my reconstruction surgery done 13 days ago. A day or so ago, I noticed that the right nipple wasn't attached as well as the left one. Now I've noticed that it seems to be "hanging off," and there is a green, malodorous drainage coming from it. I had already planned to call my PS tomorrow, but now I'm sort of scared. I just took my temperature, and it is 98.8 (my normal is about 97.5).

My husband left a few hours ago for a business trip, and I'm wondering if I'm just scared because he's not home.

I've got a call into the doctor, and I'm waiting for him to call back.

Is this an emergency situation (like gangrene)? Do you think he'll want me to go to the ER? I hope not, but I'm sort of scared. I just called our 23-year-old daughter to see if she'd spend the night in the guest room so I won't be by myself.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Comments

• weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Fear is the unknown
    Sweetheart yes you have reason to be very concerned, however I'm sure your in good hands and if you feel that it would be best to go too the ER, I would just for a piece of mind and get on some antibiotics asap.
    And have a Dr give you some reasurance, one way or the other.
    Take care sweetie Weazer
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Please seek treatment
    Hi Sherry -

This is probably not gangrene, but please seek treatment urgently. If you do not hear from your MD in approx 1 hour, call back, wait one more hour then go to the urgent care or ER.

Green, malodorous drainage and a hanging off nipple in NOT normal! Please do not wait overnight! This probably will need cultures and antibiotics. I DO think he will advise you to go to the ER.

I don't mean to frighten you, but please seek treatment!

Best of Luck - Carrie
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Are you ok?
    I just read your post. I hope by now you are receiving treatment. Please (when you can) let us know how you are doing.

Hugs, El
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Are you ok?
    I just read your post. I hope by now you are receiving treatment. Please (when you can) let us know how you are doing.

Hugs, El

I hope you went to the ER
    I hope you went to the ER and got some help. I am so sorry that you are going thru this.

Let us know what you find out.

Hugs, Angie