Scared to Death

mom62
mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went for my routine mammogram on Friday. I got a call yesterday from my oncologist saying they had booked me for another one this coming Friday as the doctor wants a few more pictues.
The hospital called me back and they had a cancellation on Wednesday so I'm going then instead.

let me give you a little history. I had bc in 2003 with a full masectomy on my right side. Five years to the date I started having chest pains and within 6 months was diagnosed with recurrance of bc. I had my sternum and part of three ribs taken out on 7/31. I had a sternal wound resection on 8/31. I went through chemo and on 1/6/10 had another PET scan. It showed two new bone mets. I then got an infection in the surgical wound site and had another surgery and a vacuum put on which I had for 5 1/2 weeks. I still have a visiting nurse 3 days a week and the wound is still healing from the inside out.

I know this can't be good news....more pictures. I've never had a problem with my left breast before and the fact the oncologist wants them not the radiologist scares me to death.
I haven't felt good in almost two years. I just don't know how much more I can take.
I just had to vent and get it off my chest. I've already had some people say it may just be routine, but I can feel it in my gut. I'm very worried and feel like crying, but I haven't yet. Thanks for listening

Comments

• shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    everything
    we are going to think positive everything is going to be OK they are just making sure everything is OK. i send my prayers and hugs your way. girl power
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

everything
    we are going to think positive everything is going to be OK they are just making sure everything is OK. i send my prayers and hugs your way. girl power

Try not to get ahead of yourself.
    I know how frightened you must be, but getting more pictures means they want to be safe. After all you have been through, it is natural to expect bad news. I am so sorry you have had to go through so much. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

Roseann
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    so sorry
    mom62,

I am so sorry you have to go through this! You've been through so much already. I would be scared too! How could you not---you've played this waiting game before. I could say, it could be nothing...your oncologist is just cautious...if it's something, they caught it early....blah, blah, blah....But, none of that helps (or it didn't help me). Until you know what is going on you will be afraid. I think having a good cry sounds like a great idea. I am so glad you can get in tomorrow for additional films. I hope they get back to you quickly regarding the result.

We'll be here to support you whatever the result. Good thoughts, prayers and cyber hugs (with a sturdy shoulder) coming your way!

El
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    roseann4 said:

Try not to get ahead of yourself.
    I know how frightened you must be, but getting more pictures means they want to be safe. After all you have been through, it is natural to expect bad news. I am so sorry you have had to go through so much. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs.

Roseann

Thinking positive and good
    Thinking positive and good thoughts for you! Sending you prayers and hugs!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I was diagnosed in 2003
    I was diagnosed in 2003 also. Had a modified radical masectomy on the right side also. I certainly hope they can cure what ever is making you unwell. When they took extra pictures of me after a bone scan it was because they wanted a closer look. ((Hugs))
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Marcia527 said:

I was diagnosed in 2003
    I was diagnosed in 2003 also. Had a modified radical masectomy on the right side also. I certainly hope they can cure what ever is making you unwell. When they took extra pictures of me after a bone scan it was because they wanted a closer look. ((Hugs))

Good thoughts, prayers and
    Good thoughts, prayers and big hugs!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I'm sending positive
    I'm sending positive thoughts your way along with the rest of the ladies. Perhaps the oncologist just wants to make certain that breast is okay. Regardless, there is nothing that worry will help, in fact it will just make things worse. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry until such time as you have something to worry about. We'll all be here and help you through anything that might be required. I'm also sending a cyber (((hug))) to YOU!! Keep us posted and take care.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    I am sorry things have been
    I am sorry things have been so difficult for you these past 2 years. It sounds as though you've been through the wringer. I understand why you might be feeling that this is the last straw, but there is nothing to indicate yet that anything more is wrong. Still, how can you help but be scared? I think a good cry is definitely warranted. Can you do some relaxation rituals, like meditation, yoga, a good bath and cup of tea (or wine?!)? My hopes for you that this is just a precaution and turns out to be entirely benign.

Mimi
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    mimivac said:

I am sorry things have been so difficult for you these past 2 years. It sounds as though you've been through the wringer. I understand why you might be feeling that this is the last straw, but there is nothing to indicate yet that anything more is wrong. Still, how can you help but be scared? I think a good cry is definitely warranted. Can you do some relaxation rituals, like meditation, yoga, a good bath and cup of tea (or wine?!)? My hopes for you that this is just a precaution and turns out to be entirely benign.

Mimi

Thanks
    Thanks for all your positive thoughts. It's been a rough two years, especially since I had been clean for five. I'll keep you all posted. I'm thankful to have this place to go and vent and feel like others actual understand what I'm going through. Thanks again.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    mimivac said:

Mimi

Hi Terry
    Sorry that your healing is going slow and wish your will get better soon. As for more pictures was your Mammogram a screening or diagnostic one? I am scheduled for annual in May and will have two different types of testing: screening (which is two pictures) on my right side and diagnostic (which is more pictures) on my affected side. It was decided by my breast surgeon three months ago. I hope that your oncologist wants better view and confirmation that everything is going well.
    Good luck, keep us posted,
    New Flower
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    mom62 said:

Thanks
    Thanks for all your positive thoughts. It's been a rough two years, especially since I had been clean for five. I'll keep you all posted. I'm thankful to have this place to go and vent and feel like others actual understand what I'm going through. Thanks again.

Sending you prayers that all
    Sending you prayers that all will be fine! Vent here anytime you need to or want to.

Hugs, Diane
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Sending good thoughts and
    Sending good thoughts and prayers for you as you wait. Take care. Marilyn
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Sending good thoughts and
    Sending good thoughts and prayers for you as you wait. Take care. Marilyn

Praying for you also!
    Praying for you also!