Budwig Diet

jacqui.g
jacqui.g Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hi again Re hubby with the Gleason 9 he is now off the oral hormone treatment as it was not working for him .He had a hormone injection 2 weeks ago and it is a three month treatment. We live in Northern Ireland so we have to use the National Health Service. He was using the Budwig diet for a while last year as I had read about it on this site. We recently bought Snuffy Myers book and received a card telling us not to use it as flax seed oil was bad for prostate cancer.I see that a number of guys here use it, and I was a bit confused as to what to do for the best any advice gratefully received.Many thanks jacqui

Comments

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Hi
    I wish you and your husband the best.

I heard a lecture by Dr. Mark Moyad, a nutritionist type for prostate cancer from michigan. I recall him saying that fish is a better source of omedga 3, that flax does not do the job.

I don't know anything that is bad about flax, it does have a lot of bulk; there is something called chia seed that has a lot more bulk than flax.

Ira
  • jacqui.g

Hi

I heard a lecture by Dr. Mark Moyad, a nutritionist type for prostate cancer from michigan. I recall him saying that fish is a better source of omedga 3, that flax does not do the job.

I don't know anything that is bad about flax, it does have a lot of bulk; there is something called chia seed that has a lot more bulk than flax.

Ira

Thank You
    Hi Ira many thanks for your reply and being so quick about it.I will check into the chia seed and the fish oil.Thank you again.Wishing you good health.

jacqui
  • erisian
    erisian Member Posts: 107
    Flax Oil
    There were a couple of studies that showed that flax oil supplementation had a slightly negative effect on prostate cancer. But in the information I have seen, they did not specify what type of supplement was used, so it is possible, maybe even probable, that their supplements were rancid, as many are. In my opinion, the studies were flawed for that reason. In addition, the studies definitely did not use the Budwig flax oil/cottage cheese (quark) mixture. So I don't give any credence to those studies in relation to the Budwig diet.
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    The nature of these beast is
    The nature of this beast is anything you read has a good and a bad on it! I was taking flax seed oil and straight flax seed. I've read pro's and con's on both. I decided to stop the flax seed oil but still use flax seed daily on my morning granola cereal. One source I read stated that the flax seed would be better then the oil. Who knows but I enjoy the seeds.

Larry
  • hopeful and optimistic
    lewvino said:

The nature of this beast is anything you read has a good and a bad on it! I was taking flax seed oil and straight flax seed. I've read pro's and con's on both. I decided to stop the flax seed oil but still use flax seed daily on my morning granola cereal. One source I read stated that the flax seed would be better then the oil. Who knows but I enjoy the seeds.

Larry

Larry,
    Do you grind the flax before placing on your cereal?........Ira
  • hopeful and optimistic

Hi

Ira

To clarify, my comments
    were about flax seeds, not flax seed oil......I don't know anything about flax seed oil....also a good idea to grind the flax seed before eating.
  • erisian
    erisian Member Posts: 107
    lewvino said:

Larry

Flax
    The seeds also contain lignans, which are strong cancer-fighters. But if you eat them whole, I don't think they'll do much good. They need to be ground in order to be digestible.

For a while last year, I was cachexic, and had a poor appetite. I started drinking smoothies made with FOCC, fruit, berries, nuts,and of course, some ground flax seed. We figured out that the smoothies were in the 700-800calorie range. They stopped my weight loss.

From what I've read, the Budwig diet has a lot in common with some of the more recent anti-cancer diets, so it looks like Ms. Budwig was on to something. I'm currently reading 'Life Over Cancer' by Keith Block M.D.. It's available on Amazon, and has the "peek inside" feature, so you can read the first 20 or so pages for free. Their website is http://lifeovercancer.com . Dr. Block has run an "Integrative Medicine" cancer clinic in the midwest for 30 years, and has a lot of experience with prostate cancer (and breast cancer). The Block Clinic has studied outcomes for their patients, and has demonstrated greatly increased survival over standard treatments alone. But unlike "Alternative Medicine", they don't shun conventional therapies.
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010

Larry,
    Do you grind the flax before placing on your cereal?........Ira

Ira, No I do not grind them.
    Ira, No I do not grind them. Just sprinkling two spoon fulls of seeds on the granola and eat that way. Also snacking on walnuts in the evening. Who knows if all these vitamins and nuts, grains etc will work....LOL At least I feel healthy! Hoping to stay in the 0 club for a long time in spite of my positive margin post surgery. This week marks 8 months post surgery. My next PSA will be at month 10.

Larry
  • jacqui.g
    erisian said:

Flax
    The seeds also contain lignans, which are strong cancer-fighters. But if you eat them whole, I don't think they'll do much good. They need to be ground in order to be digestible.

For a while last year, I was cachexic, and had a poor appetite. I started drinking smoothies made with FOCC, fruit, berries, nuts,and of course, some ground flax seed. We figured out that the smoothies were in the 700-800calorie range. They stopped my weight loss.

From what I've read, the Budwig diet has a lot in common with some of the more recent anti-cancer diets, so it looks like Ms. Budwig was on to something. I'm currently reading 'Life Over Cancer' by Keith Block M.D.. It's available on Amazon, and has the "peek inside" feature, so you can read the first 20 or so pages for free. Their website is http://lifeovercancer.com . Dr. Block has run an "Integrative Medicine" cancer clinic in the midwest for 30 years, and has a lot of experience with prostate cancer (and breast cancer). The Block Clinic has studied outcomes for their patients, and has demonstrated greatly increased survival over standard treatments alone. But unlike "Alternative Medicine", they don't shun conventional therapies.

Flax
    Hi many thanks guys, lots of food for thought.No pun intended.Will also look into the book and sites etc.Hope you all keep well. Best wishes jacqui