Radiation.....

Mama G
Mama G Member Posts: 762
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm almost half way baked and starting to feel some of the effects already. 3 1/2 weeks to go, how bad is it going to get? I have a very red shoulder???!!! and am itching like a dog with fleas. What have you women used for the itching? They told me NOT TO scratch, that only makes it worse. Also my arm is getting the numbness back, I guess from the destruction of the lymph nodes going on right now... Any ideas/help/suggestions?

Comments

• katznc
    katznc Member Posts: 70
    Lots of Hugs
    Con't help with suggestions but send big HUGS to you.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    katznc said:

Lots of Hugs
    Con't help with suggestions but send big HUGS to you.

These are the products that
    These are the products that helped me Aloe Gel from the plant if you have one, if not make sure it's 100% gel, Eucerin original and Carrasyn from the doctors office. I would put the Carrasyn on right after treatment before getting dressed. The Eucerin at night after my shower, as soon as it soaked in I'd put more on. I used the Aloe 2-3 times during the day. I always felt sticky but I didn't get a bad burn. The Aloe will help with the itching.

Hope this helps
    Sher
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Mama G, I actually used a
    Mama G, I actually used a cortizone cream that was over the counter and specifically for itching. It helped tremendously. You may want to double check with your rad onc before you use anything, though. As you know, all of our docs seem to have various recommendations. I hope you feel some relief from the itching soon. Take care.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    MyTurnNow said:

Mama G, I actually used a
    Mama G, I actually used a cortizone cream that was over the counter and specifically for itching. It helped tremendously. You may want to double check with your rad onc before you use anything, though. As you know, all of our docs seem to have various recommendations. I hope you feel some relief from the itching soon. Take care.

Mama G sorry for inching
    I also used cortisone cream 1% active with aloe over the counter.. If it will not help ask your radiologist for prescription cream which should have higher cortisone content.
    Apply moisturizer on your shoulder and back as well on your breast twice a day. Drink as much water as you can
    Wishing you the best.
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    just finished rads
    I just finished rads last week. I am still burning and blistering!! My rad dr. said I can still burn 7 to 10 days later. I am using "Raidioplex" which is a perscription lotion, but it seems to help. Ask your Rad Dr - they usually know what's best. Good luck!
  • Mama G
    Sharon40 said:

just finished rads
    I just finished rads last week. I am still burning and blistering!! My rad dr. said I can still burn 7 to 10 days later. I am using "Raidioplex" which is a perscription lotion, but it seems to help. Ask your Rad Dr - they usually know what's best. Good luck!

Thank you all for your help and advice
    The doctor said ok to cortisone and if it doesn't help, then she'll give me a prescription strength cortosone. I'm just getting worried about how bad this can get, knowing I've got 17 more treatments to go. HOw can they keep radiating a person who is obviously BURNED and blistering like you describe, Sharon?
    Thanks especially for the water advice. I keep forgetting to HYDRATE!!!
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Mama G said:

The doctor said ok to cortisone and if it doesn't help, then she'll give me a prescription strength cortosone. I'm just getting worried about how bad this can get, knowing I've got 17 more treatments to go. HOw can they keep radiating a person who is obviously BURNED and blistering like you describe, Sharon?

Your onc should be on top of
    Your onc should be on top of the itching & the burning. I was absolutely determined to get through rads without a having to take a break. It got pretty rough, but I made it and you can, too! If it gets too bad, your onc may schedule a break in the rads, and your skin will start healing right away. I lined my bra with soft flannel squares. I also was very sensitive to smells and I used a Vicks inhaler to block smells that made me feel sick.
    Good luck! Keep us posted.
  • Mama G

Mama G sorry for inching
    I also used cortisone cream 1% active with aloe over the counter.. If it will not help ask your radiologist for prescription cream which should have higher cortisone content.
    Apply moisturizer on your shoulder and back as well on your breast twice a day. Drink as much water as you can
    Wishing you the best.

so much worse this morning....
    the redness is up my neck! the cortisone helped a little, but I have a feeling I'm going to need prescription strength. I was so hoping to breeze through this.... oh well, could be worse! I'm going to buy an aloe plant today!
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Mama G said:

Insist...
    Tell your rad doctor not to wait to see if it get's better and to prescribe the stronger cortisone. Insist on it...it sounds pretty bad and I doubt an OTC cream will work.

Every minute itching seems like a lifetime...been there!

Good luck!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Sher43009 said:

These are the products that
    These are the products that helped me Aloe Gel from the plant if you have one, if not make sure it's 100% gel, Eucerin original and Carrasyn from the doctors office. I would put the Carrasyn on right after treatment before getting dressed. The Eucerin at night after my shower, as soon as it soaked in I'd put more on. I used the Aloe 2-3 times during the day. I always felt sticky but I didn't get a bad burn. The Aloe will help with the itching.

Hope this helps
    Sher

I never got burnt, just
    I never got burnt, just really dark pink. My rads oncologist gave me Biafine for any burn and I used Aquaphor to keep my skin moist and in good condition. If you have itching, you should get a prescription for hydrocortisone as the over the counter isn't as strong. Make sure they check your skin at the least, once a week.

Good luck, Leeza