Seroma and Edema

Maxmom
Maxmom Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a masectomy in December 09. Both of my drains fell out within 2 days of surgery. One was put back in before i was discharged. I have had a seroma from day one and continue to have the breast aspirated on a regular basis. Additionaly, I have developed edema in the reconstructed breast. I often fell like I am carrying a large melon on my chest and while I am not in pain, it is very tight and uncomfortable. I've started wearing a compression bra and comfort wise, it helps. Have any of you experienced these problems? What was done and what advice might you have? Thanks.

Comments

• n01kar
    n01kar Member Posts: 26
    hi
    I had my masectomy last october and completed the reconstruction process on march 9th. 2 wks later the drain came out, 1 hr later it started draining on its own really heavy. To make a long story short, i lost so much fluid, that i passed out and ended up in the e.r. 1 week after the er visit, i noticed that my breast started getting discoloured and the implant started feeling hard. When i saw the plastic surgeon a couple days later, he told me that we had to go back into the o. r to have the implant removed and had the area "washed" and a new implant placed. That was last wednesday.

My breast before the surgery looked deformed because of the old blood accumulating in that area. Consult with your dr about your options. Dont let him/her brush you off with your concerns.

Karlene
  • Maxmom
    Maxmom Member Posts: 2
    n01kar said:

hi
    I had my masectomy last october and completed the reconstruction process on march 9th. 2 wks later the drain came out, 1 hr later it started draining on its own really heavy. To make a long story short, i lost so much fluid, that i passed out and ended up in the e.r. 1 week after the er visit, i noticed that my breast started getting discoloured and the implant started feeling hard. When i saw the plastic surgeon a couple days later, he told me that we had to go back into the o. r to have the implant removed and had the area "washed" and a new implant placed. That was last wednesday.

My breast before the surgery looked deformed because of the old blood accumulating in that area. Consult with your dr about your options. Dont let him/her brush you off with your concerns.

Karlene

Seroma/edema
    Thanks Karlene. I hope this time, all goes well for you. What I should have mentioned is that I had flap reconstruction at the time of my masectomy using stomach tissue.
    The result is the same though, discoloration, abnormal shape etc.
    Again, thanks and best wishes.
    Maureen
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Maxmom said:

Seroma/edema
    Thanks Karlene. I hope this time, all goes well for you. What I should have mentioned is that I had flap reconstruction at the time of my masectomy using stomach tissue.
    The result is the same though, discoloration, abnormal shape etc.
    Again, thanks and best wishes.
    Maureen

Hi Maxmom! I had a
    Hi Maxmom! I had a lumpectomy, so, I don't know what you are going thru. I just want to wish you the best of luck and hope everything gets resolved for you. Sending you prayers and lots of hugs!

Sue :)